Loftearmen's MMA Log

Well, after several chiropractic treatments, massages, therapy and a bottle of pain killers it has calmed down quite a bit. I was able to mow the lawn today with no pain so I think I will resume some very, very light training tomorrow. I also just got into a neurophysiology program for intraoperative monitoring so I will not have much time to go to jiu jitsu for the next year. I will just be training muay thai in my garage, lifting here and there and going to bjj when I can. It will be well worth it when I am done though.

Jump rope
500 skips

DB Rows
40’sx20
60’sx20
80’sx10
80’sx10
80’sx10
80’sx10

Assisted Pull Ups
x10
x10
x10
x10

T Bar Rows
2 platesx10
2 platesx10
2 platesx10
2 platesx10

Rear Delt Raises
15’sx15
15’sx15
15’sx15

EZ Bar Chain Curls
90x10
90x10
90x10

Jump rope
500 skips

This was a pretty nice training session considering that I never got to touch anything heavy. I just kept rest between sets to a minimum. My neck and biceps tendons didn’t hurt but I could feel them a bit throughout the seasion. I have a feeling that I will be taking it easy like this for a while before they are totally healed up. So, for now, my main goal will be maintenance of mass and fat loss.

I tried to do aome db presses but they just didn’t feel right so I decided to err on the side of caution and just did some jump rope, heavy bag drills, shadow boxing and push ups. I kept it kind of light on account of my neck. Training was cut a little short due to it b3ing well over 100 degrees and about as humid as Miami. After having to lay off for a whole week I feel really, really out of shape.

2 min on/1 min rest for 30 minutes
Jump rope
Zercher Squats 135lbs
Shadow boxing
Heavy bag

I focused on adding more head movement and throwing big combos. It was so damn hot. Neck isn’t perfect but is feeling okay. Biceps tendon was achy and burning afterward but not while training.

Since I can’t really make it to bjj since school started, I will be focusing on striking for the next year. Today I did some rounds of rope skips but mostly just shadow boxing as I feel it targets a majority of my weaknesses better than other solo training methods. I was pretty rusty since I haven’t been striking for a few months and my cardio wasn’t what it used to be after my short layoff from hurting my neck so I have a lot of work to do. I still think I did okay considering the many set backs I have had as of late. I video’d the last round of the day so that my form issues would really stand out.

Nice stuff Lofty, good to see the neck is holding up. Speed and technique is looking good in the video. There is one glaring weakness, and that’s that you don’t move forward on a single punch you throw. You must take tiny steps towards the target, barely more than a shuffle of 1-2" some times, but you must be moving forward positively with every shot (unless you’re punching defensively etc, obviously).

If you don’t step towards the target, it doesn’t matter how flashy your technique, how quick your hands, or how powerful your punches, your opponent will just be standing there 2" out of range watching you punch yourself out. It happens more often than you’d think in sparring and fights - a guy will land a good first shot, then stand still and throw a couple of air shots to follow, or more likely just bounce ineffectively off the gloves.

Thanka to wveryone for the critiques. I will try to implement everything you’ve said. I will be training alone for almost an entire year so avoiding the development of bad habits is high on my list so I really appreciate all of the input.

Just out of curiosity, what are yall’s opinions on the “Russian hook” that Fedor Emelianenko made famous?

I’m curious what you boxers think of the "russian hook " that Fedor Emelianenko made famous.

It’s basically a hook that comes out straight at first and then loops inward at the last second. He turns his hand over so it lands with the top of his knuckles instead of the front. They look sloppy as hell but he has put some of the best mma fighters in the world down for a nap using them. Just curious what yall thought since you specialize in punching.

I know I’m not to the point where it would be realistic to drill something like this. I was just curious what yall thought.

Incline Bench
135x10
135x15
185x10
185x8
185x8
185x8
185x8
175x10
155x10
135x12

40 minutes of shadow boxing, bag drills and jump rope.

Lifting was obviously really light. I could feel where I hurt my neck a bit and my biceps tendon was getting a little pissy when hitting the bag. I’m sick of being hurt.

I don’t really like it, it mostly looks like a wild sloppy hook to me. As Irish says, it’s sort of a hook off the jab. No reason you can’t drill it, the hook of the jab is a great punch in boxing, particularly for disturbing the guard so you can follow up with an effective straight right. For example, a jab-jab-hook off the jab-straight right is a really nice combo, because they aren’t really looking for a hook, and it’s more of a cuffing hook anyway so you aren’t too committed to walking on to a counter right.

Deadlift
135x10
225x5
315x5
405x5
455x5
405x5
405x5
405x5

DB Rows
100’sx10
100’sx10
100’sx10
100’sx10
100’sx10

Boxing drills 40 min

I just watched “Maravilla”. Wow, if that shit doesn’t make you want to go train then you are fucking dead.

Rope drills (duck under chin height rope, throw a combo, back and forth)
3 rounds of 2 min, 1 min rest

Shadow boxing
3 rounds of 2 min, 1 min

Heavy bag
3 rounds of 2 min, 1 min

Circuit (jump rope, sit ups, high pulls w/ heavy chains)
1 min of each for 9 min total.

Great training session. The rope drills really helped to reinforce head movement during my shadow boxing. I am going to set up a swinging sandbag to force me to move my head even more as this really seems to be an area where I struggle.

2 hours of kickboxing drills.

http://fightsgoneby.blogspot.nl/2012/03/striking-of-igor-vovchanchyn-part-2.html?m=1

I guess you read all the pieces by jack on russian hooks yet?
He extensively talks about them in multiple articles.

Thanks for that! It was an interesting read. I have seen a few different technique breakdowns of the russian hook online but they generally focused on Emelianenko. I may be mistaken but I think I have seen Shamrock throw some of these when he was fighting bare knuckle with pancrase as well. They are all outstanding fighters so there must be some validity to the technique.

No problem man.
Jack emphasises that this is ussualy a shorter mans technique. Shorter arms allow a tighter swing. I’ve tried them, but the true clubbing swing is awkward with my long arms.
He has more pieces that mention this. I believe he mentioned it in a pieces about Marciano (comparing Hendo to him), a piece about 4 strikers every mma fan should watch when he mentiones Genady Golovkin.
And a piece going in depth of fedors striking.
Not sure tho, but any read of that guy is a good read. AND he keeps getting better imo.

Good luck man, I’ll try to check in more frequently!

Well, my biceps tendonitis isn’t getting any better. I’ll have to lay off the kickboxing drills for a while because that is what really aggrivated it. All I was able to do today were deadlifts.

Sumo Deads w/ Chains
135+65x3
225+65x3
315+65x3
405+65x3

Conventional Deadlift
455+65x1
495+65x1
545+65x1 (shoulder wasn’t too happy about this so I stopped)

Deadlift
405x5
405x5
405x5

Jump rope