DB OHP
50’sx10
50’sx10
50’sx10

DB Hammer Curls
50’sx10
50’sx10
50’sx10

Nice little lifting session. I felt a little weak still but not too bad. I did all of this in less than an hour so there was very little rest between sets.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
BJJ class. We went over some sweeps from the butterfly guard which were really cool. Then we rolled for a while and I did pretty well except for getting trapped in Pat’s side control for a whole round; after which I remembered the escape that probably would have worked.

I got my first stripe on my white belt today :slight_smile: I was pretty stoked about that. Pat said he was actually debating putting 2 stripes on it because I have been learning so quickly which was quite a compliment.

Conditioning:
30 minutes of 40 seconds on/20 seconds rest w/ random exercises. We did a lot of jumping jacks and medicine ball throws/slams/situps.[/quote]

Just seen this. Quality stuff mate. It comes across from your log that you’re making great progress, so I can only imagine what it must be like in person.

How do you feel about the trade off between training for BJJ and lifting? Are you still in it for the long haul? Or is the call of the iron and max strength getting to you?

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
BJJ class. We went over some sweeps from the butterfly guard which were really cool. Then we rolled for a while and I did pretty well except for getting trapped in Pat’s side control for a whole round; after which I remembered the escape that probably would have worked.

I got my first stripe on my white belt today :slight_smile: I was pretty stoked about that. Pat said he was actually debating putting 2 stripes on it because I have been learning so quickly which was quite a compliment.

Conditioning:
30 minutes of 40 seconds on/20 seconds rest w/ random exercises. We did a lot of jumping jacks and medicine ball throws/slams/situps.[/quote]

Just seen this. Quality stuff mate. It comes across from your log that you’re making great progress, so I can only imagine what it must be like in person.

How do you feel about the trade off between training for BJJ and lifting? Are you still in it for the long haul? Or is the call of the iron and max strength getting to you? [/quote]

Losing strength sucks but it is necessary, I guess. I have always been one to do what needs to be done rather than what I like to do so I’ve been working harder on the mat than I have the platform.

AM: 30 minutes of shadow boxing

PM: BJJ Class

I kinda felt like I was in a rut when I was rolling. Part if the reason was because I was rolling against a guy who was so much smaller than me that I would outmuscle him without even trying to. I went for a sweep from the butterfly guard and he actually flew over my head when I got my legs under him. When we started from feet I went for a hip toss and wound up flinging him a few feet across the mat. I did catch coach in an inverted armbar but it was really sloppy. More drilling is the answer.

Conditioning
Round 1
5 minutes of:
5 chinups
10 pushups
15 squats

Round 2:
5 minutes of:
3 mat sprints w/ 80lb grappling dummy on my shoulder
5 sit ups
3 mat aprints w/ 80lb grappling dummy on my shoulder
5 burpees

Round 3
7 minutes of:
Playing catch w/ 20lb medicine ball

Bjj class
Conditioning
30 secs no rest
Squats
Pushups
Leg raises
Rt leg glute bridges
Lt leg glute bridges
Walking lunges
Planks
Shrimp
Dragon flags
Sit outs

40 sec on/20 sec off
KB swings
Rt shoulder press
Rt waiters carry lunge
Lt shoulder press
Lt waiters carry lunge
Plank
Rt KB clean
Rt KB squat
Lt KB clean
Lt KB squat
Rt KB rows
Lt KB rows
Medicine ball carries

Did both circuits x2 with no rest

I’ve been meaning to ask Lofty, do you do any strongman strength feats, like driving nails with your hands, or crushing apples and nail bending? I’ve always wanted to be able to do that stuff since I read about the Tipoo sultan and his strongmen, and how he used to execute captured soldiers publicly by having his strong men twist their necks, or drive a carpenters nail through their heads with their bare hands. Gruesome stuff, but I’ve always remembered thinking how awesome it would be to have that kind of strength!

I can bend rhea bar and can do some pf the lumberjack stuff like flipping a caber (also done in the Highland games) but it has been a while. After a while I realized that doing that kind of stuff really took a toll on my powerlifting so I just started doing all of my deadlifts with a double overhand grip and that maintained a majority of my grip strength. It’s paying off in jiu jitsu now though because I have iron grips on people’s gis. It is not as iseful in no gi though.

Open Mat
I went over the techniques from last week, drilled some arm drag/Russian twist catch wrestling takedowns and got in 3 really hard rolls. I rolled better than I ever have before. Pat has been teaching us technoqued in chains so that every training session adds on something new to what we learned. It has been really effective and I am starting to see the difference in my rolls.

Strength work:
Before BJJ
Narrow Grip Bench Press:
45x50
135x10
185x10
225x10
250x5
270x5
290x3
305x1
315x1
315x1

Barbell Row
225x10
225x10
225x10

Heavy bag work: 30 minutes

After BJJ
Farmers Walk
450x5 trips
450x4 trips
450x3 trips

Zercher Squats
225x8
225x8
225x5

Front Squat
95x50

Wow… what a training session. I trained from 10:00am to 4:00pm with about half an hour break for lunch.

I jogged to the track (about 1/2 mile of hills)
Ran the straights and walked the curves for 5 laps (about 1 1/4 mile)
And jogged back home (another 1/2 mile of hills)

My coach was sick so we didn’t do any BJJ training.

I went to the gym with my wife and did some shoulders and arms stuff, bodybuilding style, nothing crazy and nothing too taxing.

Front Squat
45x10
135x8
185x8
225x5
275x3
315x2

Clean grip muscle snatch
135x10
135x10

Powerclean
185x5
185x5
185x5

Bullshitted around with a barbell for about 15 minutes

Treadmill-steepest incline for 30 minutes. HR was around 170-180 the whole time.

BJJ Class

Worked some cool guard passes. Had aome good rolls but my coach accidentally hurt himself rolling with me a few times. He got a couple dislocated toes and a pulled hamstring.

Conditioning:
Played catch with a medicine ball for 3 rounds of 5 minutes with 2 min rest between rounds.

I hit 290lbs today :slight_smile:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
BJJ Class

Worked some cool guard passes. Had aome good rolls but my coach accidentally hurt himself rolling with me a few times. He got a couple dislocated toes and a pulled hamstring.

Conditioning:
Played catch with a medicine ball for 3 rounds of 5 minutes with 2 min rest between rounds.

I hit 290lbs today :)[/quote]

Awesome, great work mate. Inspiring progress.

DB Rows
95x10
95x10
95x10

Chest supported row
1 platex10
2 platesx10

Cable row
3x10

Lat pulldown
3x10

DB curls
3x8

Reverse pec deck
3x15

Cardio
30 min on a treadmill

Thanks, London. It seems like it is taking forever until I look back at my log and realize how recently I was 325. Luckily, my bjj skill has been improving faster than my weight loss; although, I suspect that being lighter has played a part in increasing that skill.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Thanks, London. It seems like it is taking forever until I look back at my log and realize how recently I was 325. Luckily, my bjj skill has been improving faster than my weight loss; although, I suspect that being lighter has played a part in increasing that skill.[/quote]

Ain’t that the truth. I have the same thing my training, thinking ‘shit I’m still working with ~130lbs on the bench’, but then I look back and a few months ago I would have had to work hard to hit 5 reps, whereas now I can easily hit it for several times that for multiple sets, and still feel I’m working with a sub-maximal weight. As you know, better than I do, meaningful progress is a slow and hard earned thing.

That’s pretty much unavoidable, especially when you take combat sports seriously. I went through something similar back when I started, although I was nowhere near your size. How’s your bodycomp coming along with the weight loss?

Oh I am not complaining. I am actively trying to lose weight. My diet and my training are tailored for that in particular. 300lbs just isn’t a realistic weight for a jiu jitsuka. I had plenty of fat to rid myself of anyway so I am looking a lot better from a composition standpoint.

Narrow grip bench press
135x20
185x10
225x10
275x5
295x3
315x2

Incline DB Press
115’sx5
80’sx10
80’sx10

Seated DB overhead press
60’sx10
65’sx10
70’sx10

Pec deck flyes…superset…tricep pushdowns
3x10

Delt raises
35’sx3x10

Some jack off was trying to bench 400lbs with less than a 1" rom (not an exaggeration). Everyone was afraid he was going to hurt himself so I offered to spot him. He got pissed off and acted like he wanted to fight which would have been even more dangerous for him than the bench presses were. Then he wouldn’t quit ranting about how everyone has been telling him that he bench presses wrong for 8 years and that he’s obviously doing something right that they aren’t. I laughed and he got REALLY pissed; like, face-turning-purple kind of pissed. I hope I am at the gym when he drops a weight on himself so I can sit there and not help him. Ass…

Cardio
Treadmill 30 minutes jogging uphill

BJJ
Drilled the “skydiver” guard pass for a while. I had to drill some with a girl which was especially awkward. Then I had some good rolls with Pat and Brandon. Good day of training overall. BJJ class plus rolling was about 3 hours.

My coach explaining the skydiver pass to guillotine choke