20 Burpees
Deadlifts: 275x20
Rest 30 secs

Circuit 3: 5 rounds
15 Push Ups
15 Sit Ups
15 Back Lunges (each side)
Rest 30 secs

Congrats on the weight loss bro, keep up the good work!

Killing it Lofty. Your conditioning seems to have gone up a level in the past week or so. Glad it’s been rewarded with drop in weight. Looking badass in your picture there.

Thanks man! I still have a long journey ahead of me though.

BJJ Class

We went over a simple guard passing technique that I liked a lot. You just trap the person’s arm on their stomach, step up with both feet, turn your hips over and push their knees apart. If their legs are too long to break that way you can reach one hand around and unhook their feet with the blade of your hand. Then you put your knee on their thigh and backstep into the side mount. Good stuff. I rolled with Coach for about 15 minutes after that and used that guard pass on him multiple times. It was really simple and effective.

Coach said that I am coming along really fast and he thinks I’ll be ready to compete soon. There’s a purple belt named Dan that is around 280lbs and coach said that he can handle Dan easier than he can me which was a huge compliment and a surprise at the same time because I rolled with Dan a few times and he can be a real sunovabich.

I caught coach in my Americana a few times as well today. I don’t get to tap him very often.

7 min of:
DB Clean and Press: 60’sx10
DB Alternating Row: 60’sx10
Mat Laps: x10

5 min of:
Burpees: x20
Deadlifts: 315x10

3 min of:
Push ups: x10
Sit ups: x10
Walking lunges: x10

Deleted

BJJ Class

Conditioning:

Circuit 1:
Push up, left sit out, right sit out, side roll x 5
Run a lap around the mat
5 minutes

Circuit 2:
Ring laps: x5
Turkish get ups x 10
5 minutes

Circuit 3:
Battle Ropes: 20 seconds
Prowler Pushes: 20 seconds
5 minutes

Am

Squat
135x5
225x3
315x1
385x5
435x5

I was going to work up to 495x5 but I felt really weak. Squatting at 5:30 in the morning isn’t easy. It’ll take aome time to get used to.

Cleans
145x10
145x10

Press
135x5
185x2
205x1

Barbell Curls
65x100 total reps

Neck Towel Pulls: 100 total reps

Pm

Shadow boxing
3x3

Heavy bag
3x3

Tues:

BJJ Class

We drilled reversals from the guard and rolled for a while. I didn’t do as well rolling as I have in the past but I was trying to not muscle people around so much and focus on my technique.

Conditioning:

Circuit 1:
Mat sprints x2/5 push ups/ mat sprints x2/ 5 sit ups
7 minutes

Circuit 2:
Push up/left sit out/right sit out/Front rolls down the mat/ bear crawl back
5 minutes

Circuit 3:
Battle ropesx30 seconds, Rear Delt Raisesx30 seconds, Db arm cyclesx30 seconds, Barbell roll outsx30 seconds
6 minutes

Conditioning was tough. I slipped in some sweat on the mat while doing bear crawls and hyper extended my elbow. It is still pretty sore the morning after.

Wed:

Squat
135x5
225x3
315x1
405x1
455x1
495x1
525x1

Deadlift
315x5
405x5
455x5
495x5

Bench Press
225x40 total

DB Row
80x70 total

Neck flexion
X70 total

I am feeling really weak. I atruggled a little with the 525 squat. I have been slacking on my max effort work.

Power Cleans
135x5
185x3
205x1
175x5
175x5
175x5

Squats
135x5
225x5
315x10

Press
135x5
155x5
175x5

Chin Ups
x25

Saturday

BJJ Class

Bodyweight Squats: 1 min
Push Ups: 1 min
Sit Ups: 1 min
Pull Ups: 1 min
Rest: 1 min
x3 rounds

Sit out/Sit out/Side Rollx5
Mat Lapsx5
7 minutes

Mat Sprintsx3
Burpeesx5
5 minutes

Next Week:

Monday:
Squats
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x5
440x5

Power Cleans
150x10
150x10

Press
135x5
185x3
210x1

Barbell Curls
70x100

Neck Towel Pulls
x100

Shadow Boxing

Tuesday:
BJJ Class

Conditioning Work:
3 circuits of 5-8 minutes

Wednesday:
Squat
135x5
225x3
315x1
405x1
455x1
495x1
530x1

Deadlift
315x5
405x5
455x5
500x5

Bench Press
225x50

DB Row
80’sx100

Neck Flexion
x100

Heavy Bag
6x3

Thursday:

BJJ Class

Conditioning

Friday:

Power cleans
135x5
185x3
210x1
180x5
180x5
180x5

Squat
135x5
225x5
315x15

Press
140x5
160x5
180x5

Pull Ups
x50

Neck Towel Pulls
x100

Shadow Boxing
6x3

Saturday:

BJJ Class

Conditioning

Conditioning:

Curcuit 1
Push upsx1 min
Bodyweight squatsx1 min
Pull upsx1 min
Db curl/delt raisex1 min
Heavy bagx1 min
Push upsx1 min
Bodyweight squatsx1 min

Circuit 2:
5 push ups
5 sit ups
5 db curl/delt raises
5 minutes

Circuit 3
Push ups (to failure which was only 8-10 at this point because I was so tired)
Db curlsx10
Band delt raisesx10
7 minutes

This was a fun little unplanned workout. The weather was nice so I got to train in the back yard. My toddler kept throwing cups of water out of the pool on me while I was doing pushups haha.

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Conditioning:

Curcuit 1
Push upsx1 min
Bodyweight squatsx1 min
Pull upsx1 min
Db curl/delt raisex1 min
Heavy bagx1 min
Push upsx1 min
Bodyweight squatsx1 min

Circuit 2:
5 push ups
5 sit ups
5 db curl/delt raises
5 minutes

Circuit 3
Db curlsx10
Band delt raisesx10
7 minutes

This was a fun little unplanned workout. The weather was nice so I got to train in the back yard. My toddler kept throwing cups of water out of the pool on me while I was doing pushups haha.
[/quote]

Good stuff mate. You any closer to finding somewhere they’ll let you punch people yet? All that rolling around in dressing gowns must have you ready to throw hands.

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:

[quote]Loftearmen wrote:
Conditioning:

Curcuit 1
Push upsx1 min
Bodyweight squatsx1 min
Pull upsx1 min
Db curl/delt raisex1 min
Heavy bagx1 min
Push upsx1 min
Bodyweight squatsx1 min

Circuit 2:
5 push ups
5 sit ups
5 db curl/delt raises
5 minutes

Circuit 3
Db curlsx10
Band delt raisesx10
7 minutes

[/quote]

Good stuff mate. You any closer to finding somewhere they’ll let you punch people yet? All that rolling around in dressing gowns must have you ready to throw hands.[/quote]

I haven’t found a place yet. I’m not sure I’m going to be able to any time soon either due to money and time restrictions. For the moment I will probably have to just stick to training my striking at home. I’ve been trying to find someone who is willing to meet with me at the BJJ school on a day that we don’t have class and do some sparring but pickings are slim.

This morning:
Squat
45x5
135x5
225x5
315x5
405x5
440x5

Power cleans
150x10
150x10

Overhead Press
135x5
185x1
210x1

Barbell Curls
70x50

All of my lifts this morning felt particularly well grooved. My form on everything was perfect but I was exhausted and had very little energy. My power cleans are getting a lot better in particular. I’m able to catch the bar in the rack position with my elbows far in front every time now. Sometimes I am able to achieve this position with all 4 fingers on the bar which is really nice since I’ll be able to do oly grip front squats, squat cleans and push presses properly soon if I continue to improve on that.

I was going to do some kickboxing stuff when I got home from work last night but I was freakin’ exhausted and went to bed early instead. Some days I just don’t have it in me.

Ye I feel you there man. I’d actually really like to do combatives, bjj, or even some wrestling, but it’s just not in my budget at the moment to train seriously at that.

I really enjoy reading about your training man, I learn a lot from it (I hope. You probably look at my log and think 'how does that dumb shit not get it yet!)

[quote]LondonBoxer123 wrote:
Ye I feel you there man. I’d actually really like to do combatives, bjj, or even some wrestling, but it’s just not in my budget at the moment to train seriously at that.

I really enjoy reading about your training man, I learn a lot from it (I hope. You probably look at my log and think 'how does that dumb shit not get it yet!)[/quote]

Hahaha, I don’t think that at all man. Your log looks like you train really hard, you just don’t have a lot of experience with strength programming (similarly to how I have very little experience with combat sports programming).

I wouldn’t try to learn too much from my log right now. I periodically will run someone else’s program for a few months just to break my old habits. When I run my own programming I find myself doing the same things day in and day out; sometimes you just have to break up the monotony. Right now I’m running Wendler’s Beach Body Challenge (the program name is amazingly sarcastic, btw). I did make a few slight modifications to it. It is outlined in an article here on T-Nation. I really just wanted to squat 3 days a week for a while and his programming fits the bill nicely.

Ideally, I’ll be able to learn a few things while running this program that I can implement here and there when I go back to my own training style. Sometimes that does happen but, even then, I can rule out some techniques that are ineffective for me so there is always knowledge gained.

BJJ Class
Coach is out of town so a guy from another school came to teach the class. He is a black belt in BJJ named Jeremy and is a very technical grappler. I did really well when I was rolling with him. This is especially true in regards to my defensive maneuvering and grip fighting. He still tapped me a couple times with some crazy-ass bicep crusher move that he did with his foot (I still don’t know what the hell happened lol). It was a good class and I learned a lot. I also learned a really cool escape from the side mount where you slide your hand under their body, bump them up high onto your chest and then use a hip bump and a push from your arm to slide yourself out from under them. As you turn you wind up in a headlock and, if you’re good or lucky, a guillotine choke. It was a good technique that I could definitely see myself implementing. We also went over the intricacies of setting up an extended armbar from the side mount which went well too. Conditioning was a bitch and I’m getting sick so I didn’t really have the steam I usually do.
Circuit 1:

1 min push ups
1 min sit ups
1 min bodyweight squats
1 min sit outs
1 min bodyweight squats
1 min sit ups
1 min push ups

Circuit 2:
10 powercleans
10 barbell rows
5 laps around the mat
6 minutes

Squat
135x5
225x5
315x3
405x1
455x1
495x1
530x1

Deadlift
405x5
455x5
500x5

Bench Press
225x50

Dumbbell Row
80x100

Neck Towel Pulls
x100

The db row/towel pull superset was absolutely brutal. It was a great lesson in ignoring pain and pushing through it. Squatting so frequently is starting to get kind of tough mentally. I will push through that as well and come out the other side tougher and stronger. I just have to keep chipping away.

Heavy bag
6x3

Round 1: Light freestyle/warm up
Round 2: Work the jab
Round 3: Set up kicks
Round 4: Punching combos/get in and get out/exit with a jab
Round 5: Power shots
Round 6: Kicks only

Shadow Boxing
6x3

Nice workout. I was wiped afterward. There was no bjj class tonight

Power Cleans
135x5
185x3
210x1
180x5
180x5
180x5

Squats
135x5
225x5
315x12

Overhead Press
140x5
160x5
180x5

Pull Ups

Neck Flexion

Heavy Bag
1x5 minutes

The only part of this that I struggled with were the pullups and the bag work. I put in a seriously intense 5 minutes on the heavy bag and pull ups are hard because I weigh close to 300lbs. I am looking much leaner in the mirror though. I noticed that the areas that I hold the most fat are cold when I come in from training while the rest of me is burning hot which is strange especially considering that I train in my garage where it’s 90ish degrees F. This makes me wonder if taking yohimbine hydrochloride would help rid me of the fat in those areas by increasing blood flow. I’ll order a bottle today and give it a shot.