Lockouts Better Than Bands/Chains?

I think that lockouts would probably be more effective. Bands and chains try to do the same thing, by increasing the weight at the portion of the lift where you are strongest, but the use of lockouts provides one with the chance to use more weight than chains, and therefore looks like the better alternative. Is my thinking correct here?

Bands and chains are generally used to create a higher rate of force development whereas lockouts are more for maximal strength. Two different things being trained.

Not exactly, although I’ve never used them bands/chains allow to use the full ROM of the lift so its identical to the real movement but with added weight where you are strongest. Partial ROM has its benefits but your form will be different so its not exactly the same. With bands/chains it forces you to do the first part of the lift faster so you can make it through the top half so really both halves get a benefit instead of the top half.

One very important thing to remember with board presses/lockouts: your form on this lift is NOT the same as your form on the top half of your bench. Thus, I prefer adding accomodated resistance because it encourages speed, increases weight at lockout, maintains form similar to contest lift, and actually encourages better tightness by virtue of the non-perfect settling/adding of weight (especially chains).

Certainly boards will allow for dealing/getting used to larger loads and will more strongly stress the lockout portion, so both have thier place for sure. Boards are also less useful for me personally as I have something like an 8inch ROM. If I put 4bd, then I can practically bench without bending the elbows and just tucking the back harder… So for me and I think for mostly anyone, 2 and 3 boards are very important but I don’t see much use to higher boards. Also, 1bd should be the same as from the chest so I only think it is useful if you have shoulder pain.

Ergo, 2 and 3 boards and chains are my money.

Depends on whether you’re trying to strengthen a weak portion of your ROM or training for speed to blast through it. Like LM said, above.

If I were you, I would just do a 3-board press with bands, reverse bands, chains, weight releasers, a loose Metal Jack shirt, with wrist and elbow wraps. Overload that shit like a fucking boss.

For the Frail boned kids who played alot of video games in thier teens:

Heavy partials are your friend.

In a few years, ur bones will thank you.

[quote]LiquidMercury wrote:
Bands and chains are generally used to create a higher rate of force development whereas lockouts are more for maximal strength. Two different things being trained.[/quote]

x2.

Figure out if you need to be stronger or faster.

is lockouts a specific exercise or are you referring to things like high board presses and pin presses

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
is lockouts a specific exercise or are you referring to things like high board presses and pin presses[/quote]

They are talking about board/pin presses, and board/pin SQUATS.

[quote]Field wrote:

[quote]critietaeta wrote:
is lockouts a specific exercise or are you referring to things like high board presses and pin presses[/quote]

They are talking about board/pin presses, and board/pin SQUATS.[/quote]

Ok, then i agree with the others. Lockout presses/squats/DLs are completely different than using bands/chains. Both should be used separately and even together.