Lockout Question

Is it normal that i can barley lockout and support more than my maxes? Lets say i squat 320…I find it hard to handle 360 just as a lock out out of the rack…the weight also feels like a ton. is this an exposed weakness?

What’s your max deadlift?

440lb

[quote]AntonioFlores wrote:
Is it normal that i can barley lockout and support more than my maxes? Lets say i squat 320…I find it hard to handle 360 just as a lock out out of the rack…the weight also feels like a ton. is this an exposed weakness?

[/quote]

If 320 is really your 1RM then it normal for 360 to feel ‘oppressive’.

Keep in mind though that what you feel is often a lie. If you’ve only ever had 320 on your back, 360 will “feel” really heavy. I wouldn’t place too much stock in how a supramaximal load feels on your back on any given day.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
Keep in mind though that what you feel is often a lie. If you’ve only ever had 320 on your back, 360 will “feel” really heavy. I wouldn’t place too much stock in how a supramaximal load feels on your back on any given day. [/quote]

This. Your not used to having greater than 100% on your back.

I find the same for rack pulls.

[quote]Silyak wrote:
Keep in mind though that what you feel is often a lie. If you’ve only ever had 320 on your back, 360 will “feel” really heavy. I wouldn’t place too much stock in how a supramaximal load feels on your back on any given day. [/quote]

Great point…thanks for picking up my slack.

You’re just not that strong yet

[quote]AntonioFlores wrote:
Is it normal that i can barely lockout and support more than my maxes? Lets say i squat 320…I find it hard to handle 360 just as a lock out out of the rack…the weight also feels like a ton. is this an exposed weakness?[/quote]

Sure, In your example, you would have a glaring upper back weakness that can be corrected by doing heavy rack pulls and Good mornings and general upper back stuff. If you can “only” get 320 out of the hole, then that’s all your back is used to. This is where the beauty of heavy partials comes into play. I mean you don’t want to morph into the guy who can pull 600 pounds from the knees but can’t get 405 off the floor but partials have their place. As you get “good” at pulling or benching with a partial range of motion, drop the height. eventually you’ll be doing full ROM with a heavier weight. My bench and dead respond well to this but my squat does not generally BUT my back never gives out on me squatting and having a strong as fuck back helps me out in life’s day to day stuff as I have yet to put a bar across my back and squat something outside of a gym in my 40 years on this rock…

i love me some rack pulls…if only i could deadlift what i can rack pull.