Lockjaw Collars vs Pony Clamps

The gym that I work out at only has spring collars. When I do deadlifts the plates slide around a little bit. When I get higher in weight the spring collars might start falling off. I’m thinking about buying a new pair of collars to take to the gym. I’ve heard that lockjaw collars are good for keeping the plates from moving, but pony clamps are much less expensive, and I’ve heard they work very well as well. Do you think it’s worth it to pay extra for lockjaw collars, or will pony clamps work just as well?

[quote]Randy Tongue wrote:
The gym that I work out at only has spring collars. When I do deadlifts the plates slide around a little bit. When I get higher in weight the spring collars might start falling off. I’m thinking about buying a new pair of collars to take to the gym. I’ve heard that lockjaw collars are good for keeping the plates from moving, but pony clamps are much less expensive, and I’ve heard they work very well as well. Do you think it’s worth it to pay extra for lockjaw collars, or will pony clamps work just as well?[/quote]

Pony clamps are horrible. Buy real collars.

If you double up the spring collars it helps quite a bit.

[quote]TimCline wrote:
If you double up the spring collars it helps quite a bit.[/quote]
That’s a good idea. I’ll try that.
I’m open to other ideas as well.

I stocked my gym with lockjaws…If you buy them from rogue they have a lifetime warranty so if they break you get a new set for free. Totally worth the extra $$ in my opinion