Locking Out Snatch-Grip Deadlift

Anyone have trouble with their snatch-grip deadlifts because the bar gets trapped at your balls before you can lock out?

How do I overcome this? I’ve considered jerking the bar to just get it over, but what happens if you do that and the bar crushes you?

hasn’t happened to me, but i have long arms

• Change your grip
  • Compression shorts
  • Just tuck your nads away like Taner Sagir does.

[quote]ninearms wrote:

• Change your grip
  • Compression shorts
  • Just tuck your nads away like Taner Sagir does.

[/quote]

you mean like buffalo bill?

Fight through it.

NEver had a problem doing them. You might want to consider buying a pair of compression shorts. They work wonders in keep the boys in place.

Get smaller balls.

Forget I even said that.

TNT

I will preface this response in saying that snatch-grip deadlifts own my ass.

That being said, I haven’t had the problem, but I usually wear compression shorts / synthetic boxers when I do lifts like those or squats. Tucking may be uncomfortable, so I would try the alternative.

maybe I just have an unfortunate arm/length to ball size ratio when it comes to this certain lift. i’ll try some tighty whiteys next time I try this one.

So you’re just bragging that your balls are so big you can’t even pull snatch grip deads?

Have you tried changing feet stance? A wider one may help!

I just do standard/clean grip DL. Compress my balls? Never!

Sometimes I do them on a plate to have a deficit to overcome though.

[quote]conorh wrote:
So you’re just bragging that your balls are so big you can’t even pull snatch grip deads?[/quote]

Yes. But seriously, my arms are short enough so that I am still hunched over when the bar hits my nuts, and because i keep the bar close to my body it’s not hard to miss them. Regular deadlifts are fine though of course since I locked out before it gets that far.

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
I just do standard/clean grip DL. Compress my balls? Never![/quote]

It’s not much of a choice for some of us. Don’t feel bad though, if everyone had large testicles birth rates would be even higher. Population control has to try and keep in check somehow.

Plus, snatch-grips have a lot of benefits if mixed in with standard deads.

If you are dragging the bar on your thighs when you pull (which it sounds like you are doing), then you are probably hitching the weight up. Lower the weight and do them correctly.

i disagree stronghold, snatch deadlifts and olympic style pulls should be touching the leg or very close to it the whole way up barring strange proportions. i think rippetoe even teaches to drag the bar up the legs for conventional deadlifts in starting strength.

I have short arms and have totally been there, I just got better fitting underwear and hoped for the best.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:
If you are dragging the bar on your thighs when you pull (which it sounds like you are doing), then you are probably hitching the weight up. Lower the weight and do them correctly.[/quote]

definitely not hitching, happens on my warm up sets, it’s just because I got shortish arms. I’ll just have to get these compression shorts I guess.

I have noticed a similar problem with the snatch grip deadlift.

One idea is to use smaller 25 pound or 35 pound weights (instead of 45 pound weights), and then do a regular grip deadlift. It might be annoying to have to put more individual weights on the bar, but the plus side is the range of motion is similar to the snatch deadlift.

the wide grip of the snatch dead really puts a different and more intense stress on the upper back and forearm muscles though, in my experience. it also seems to stretch out the bis, chest and some random muscles that connect in the armpit. but as far as the ‘target’ posterior chain muscles go i guess smaller-plate DLs would do the trick.