Local Weather: The End of Days

Anyone else had about as much as they can take when it comes to these local news weather idiots? There is usually a daily panic. Something actually materializes, what, 1 time in 20?

Today’s end-times scenario is February thunderstorms, with damaging wind (one moron said they’d top 70mph but they’ve backed down to 45 or 50 now) and trouble by the tuckload!

After a long winter in which they’ve been wrong no less than 80% of the time, I’ve reached my limit. I think I’ll get my weather from looking out the window from now on.

We used to have drinking games based on statements by the senile weatherman in Oklahoma City during tornado watches. Good times.

This is what my Granparents use…seems to work pretty well.

I know they have to exaggerate bad weather to make sure they don’t tell you it wont be too bad then fuck up and you drive some where in a fucking hail storm of hell.

[quote]ProwlCat wrote:
Anyone else had about as much as they can take when it comes to these local news weather idiots? There is usually a daily panic. Something actually materializes, what, 1 time in 20?

Today’s end-times scenario is February thunderstorms, with damaging wind (one moron said they’d top 70mph but they’ve backed down to 45 or 50 now) and trouble by the tuckload!

After a long winter in which they’ve been wrong no less than 80% of the time, I’ve reached my limit. I think I’ll get my weather from looking out the window from now on.
[/quote]

The consumer craves shock value and the media outlets know this. We are witnessing the very same phenomenom with the current “recession”.

We all know heads turn when there is a car accident on the side of the road. Likewise, when the consumer sees bad news on the t.v. they just can’t turn away. A snowball effect has been created so that now the news outlets must compete for the most head-turning, shocking story. Doom and gloom is great when it comes to making shocking stories.

Seeing car crashes and bad storms that are not in my town always make me feel a little lucky and thus makes my day a tad brighter…Is that wrong?

[quote]thaiclinch wrote:
Seeing car crashes and bad storms that are not in my town always make me feel a little lucky and thus makes my day a tad brighter…Is that wrong?[/quote]

I like the rock from your previous post and no it’s not wrong, I feel the same way. Obviously if people died then that changes things but I still feel greatful to be here.

[quote]thaiclinch wrote:
Seeing car crashes and bad storms that are not in my town always make me feel a little lucky and thus makes my day a tad brighter…Is that wrong?[/quote]

A little convoluted, maybe, but I wouldn’t say it’s wrong.

Weatherman, best job in the world. You can be wrong all the time and they never fire you!

In Cincinnati, a few weeks ago, I had to shovel 5 inches of the predicted “dusting of snow” just to open my car door.

Now I just pay attention to the 5 day forcast to see when I can run outside and how to dress.

[quote]puckhead08 wrote:
In Cincinnati, a few weeks ago, I had to shovel 5 inches of the predicted “dusting of snow” just to open my car door.

Now I just pay attention to the 5 day forcast to see when I can run outside and how to dress.[/quote]

Ever notice when it’s NOT predicted it’s a “dusting” and when it IS predicted it’s a major “snow event”? Seems like “event” is the new weather buzz-word. That and “changes” (as in: “Big changes on the way for this weekend!”). That usually means, what? A five degree drop in temp?

Cincinnati, huh? Remember Ira Joe Fisher?

It has gotten a bit out of hand here in Boston. Between the way they carve their language out to seem like something terrible is going to happen…after this commercial break; and the intro and graphics used. Example: (Massive snow storm shown from 1979) “We’re in for another helping of the winter white stuff, how much exactly? Coming up…”

I don’t even care anymore. I got a jacket, winter tires, snow brush…I’m good. Until April when I can put my winter jacket away and rims on my car, f*ck the weather station/forecast.

Over here, it has been sunny or partly cloudy, with temperature between 70-85 degrees Fh for the last month.

God, I love Hong Kong. I don’t even NEED a weatherman. Every day is exactly the same.

Meteorology isn’t exactly an exact science. They do the best they can, which, unfortunately, is not very well. People act like they’re just incompetent. They’re not, but they can only do so much due to the natural unpredictability of weather.

We had winds clocked at 92 mph in the Burgh last night. Knocked down lots of trees and power lines. That’s our penance for enjoying a 60 degree day in February.