Loading? and Progression?

Im creating a new program based on what ive found to work over the years. Im targeting both strength and size with this program.

I have a few questions on progression and loading though.

Normally, if im going to do something like 5 sets of five, i’ll warm up, and then use the same weight on all of the working sets. I have also heard of people starting lighter, and increasing the weight on each set, so that on the fifth set they are peaking. What is the advantage to this vs. using the same weight for each set?

Also, ive heard of people doing the same thing, but “loading” up throughout the week or over a couple of weeks. I think HST does this also.
EX: Say i can do 5x5 with 100 lbs now. I’ll drop down to 80 lbs, and then build from there, increasing each week.

Does all this matter, or can i just use the same weight each set and increase each workout and stop a couple reps short of failure?

Lastly, im thinking of doing three strength sessions a week, and working pretty much full body each sessions. I was thinking of working in different rep ranges each workout, to target both strength and size and power.
EX: Sunday-- 3 sets 8
Tuesday-- 4 sets 5
Friday-- 5 sets 3

Anyone ever followed anything like this, and is it a good idea? Thank you.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Im creating a new program based on what ive found to work over the years. Im targeting both strength and size with this program.

I have a few questions on progression and loading though.

Normally, if im going to do something like 5 sets of five, i’ll warm up, and then use the same weight on all of the working sets. I have also heard of people starting lighter, and increasing the weight on each set, so that on the fifth set they are peaking. What is the advantage to this vs. using the same weight for each set?

Also, ive heard of people doing the same thing, but “loading” up throughout the week or over a couple of weeks. I think HST does this also.
EX: Say i can do 5x5 with 100 lbs now. I’ll drop down to 80 lbs, and then build from there, increasing each week.

Does all this matter, or can i just use the same weight each set and increase each workout and stop a couple reps short of failure?[/quote]

in short yes you can do/either they are both ways to progress. Dan John has an article on 5x5 and varied approaches you might look at it. More then one way to skin a cat.

[quote]

Lastly, im thinking of doing three strength sessions a week, and working pretty much full body each sessions. I was thinking of working in different rep ranges each workout, to target both strength and size and power.
EX: Sunday-- 3 sets 8
Tuesday-- 4 sets 5
Friday-- 5 sets 3

Anyone ever followed anything like this, and is it a good idea? Thank you.[/quote]

Yes look at something like TBT very much like this Id vary the rep ranges a bit more bro thats awful similar to be trying to hit varied muscle/strenght qualities

maybe something like
Sunday-- 4 sets 8
Tuesday-- 3 sets 15
Friday-- 8 sets 3

Phill