T Nation

Loaded Carries Weight vs Distance

CT… When doing loaded carries should we focus more on the weight we are using or the distance we are moving it? I have noticed when I moved up to doing the Farmers Walk with 55lbs dumbbells sometimes I have a hard time walking for a full minute on my third set.

yes, what should give away first, your grip or your cardovascular system?

Focus on both! But (1) it should be “heavy” carries so distance with light or even moderate weight wont do it. (2) it’s perfectly fine to drop the weights once or twice then pick them back up to finish the set. (3) I DO NOT want it to become a cardiovascular exercise, it’s a strength-capacity one. So if you CV is the limiting factor, go with a shorter time and increase it over time.

Thanks again. I will keep them heavy and focus on both weight and distance.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Focus on both! But (1) it should be “heavy” carries so distance with light or even moderate weight wont do it. (2) it’s perfectly fine to drop the weights once or twice then pick them back up to finish the set. (3) I DO NOT want it to become a cardiovascular exercise, it’s a strength-capacity one. So if you CV is the limiting factor, go with a shorter time and increase it over time.[/quote]

could some hand wraps help? or would some emphasis be placed on grip strength?

[quote]Caino wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Focus on both! But (1) it should be “heavy” carries so distance with light or even moderate weight wont do it. (2) it’s perfectly fine to drop the weights once or twice then pick them back up to finish the set. (3) I DO NOT want it to become a cardiovascular exercise, it’s a strength-capacity one. So if you CV is the limiting factor, go with a shorter time and increase it over time.[/quote]

could some hand wraps help? or would some emphasis be placed on grip strength?
[/quote]

If one of your goals is to build forearms and a stronger grip, do not use straps. If that doesn’t matter to you, you can use straps.

Sorry to jump in this thread, but, I train in a garage, I have zero space to do a carry, I’ve always been a big advocate of yoke walks and farmers handles. What would be your recommendation for someone who hadn’t the space to carry but wanted the same stimulus, I just can’t see static holds having the same ‘zing’

[quote]MAsteve wrote:
Sorry to jump in this thread, but, I train in a garage, I have zero space to do a carry, I’ve always been a big advocate of yoke walks and farmers handles. What would be your recommendation for someone who hadn’t the space to carry but wanted the same stimulus, I just can’t see static holds having the same ‘zing’ [/quote]

Im in the same situation and i simply march on the spot. Bringing my knees as high as possible at a good pace. Not ideal but still seems to do the job

[quote]Trevshenko wrote:

[quote]MAsteve wrote:
Sorry to jump in this thread, but, I train in a garage, I have zero space to do a carry, I’ve always been a big advocate of yoke walks and farmers handles. What would be your recommendation for someone who hadn’t the space to carry but wanted the same stimulus, I just can’t see static holds having the same ‘zing’ [/quote]

Im in the same situation and i simply march on the spot. Bringing my knees as high as possible at a good pace. Not ideal but still seems to do the job[/quote]

When it’s icy or wet I’m in the same situation. I’ve got a little room in the garage so I take 2-3 steps forward and then walk backwards 3-4 steps, and then repeat for time. Obviously you have to be careful going backwards…