LL: ZMA Question

Any truth to the old rumor “Don’t take ZMA with your protein shake(calcuim)” Any truth or just a FLEX rumor?

Nope, that’s correct.

Calcium interferes wth the absorption of magnesium.

Try to take ZMA on an empty stomach.

I’m not LL, but to my knowledge, that is legit. Calcium will just compete for absorption, so it’s best to take your ZMA 30-45 minutes before the shake you have right before bed.

“Divalent cations” (minerals with a +2 charge) do often interact: in the intestine, for transport in the body, etc.

Soluble fiber (e.g. oats) is another probable affector.

Still, I think sometimes we can go overboard trying to avoid the many food-food, food-supplement, and food-drug interactions. This is not to say that it’s overcautious to take a mineral supplement on an empty stomach, TC makes a good point. Just don’t end up fasting for extended periods for what may be a small overall increase in supplement-derived results.

Im with you Lonnie, too many people get caught up in the no food before ZMA thing. Just avoid calcium, its not found in alot of food so you should be alright.

[quote]Velvet Revolver wrote:
Im with you Lonnie, too many people get caught up in the no food before ZMA thing. Just avoid calcium, its not found in alot of food so you should be alright. [/quote]

True…however since it’s best to be taken 30 minutes or so before bed, most at that time will be drinking milk, cottage cheese, protein shakes etc. which are calcium based by nature. Hench the concern.