T Nation

LL: Pumpkin Seeds?

I remember you recomending pumpkin seeds at one time. Can you tell us why again. Also, do you think the toasted kind damages them in any way?

Related question: Does toasting damage nuts in any way? Almonds, macadamia, walnuts, I always buy toasted.

Pumpkin seeds are High in CLA and I believe that was the reasoning behind there recomendation.

Ah yes, pumpkins seeds. My wife likes them, and got some so I tried them, and I thought they were ok.

But for some reason I could not stop eating them. I even bought more, and kept on eating, and still don?t know why.

I have a similar problem with sunflower seeds, but I think they taste great, although my tongue cannot take the salt. I really have to limit my intake, otherwise my tongue starts to peel. Not a good thing.

[quote]sam747 wrote:
I remember you recomending pumpkin seeds at one time. Can you tell us why again. Also, do you think the toasted kind damages them in any way?[/quote]

Always mix up two spoons of pumpkin seed/sunflower seeds with my cup of oats & scoop of protein powder for brekkie. Nice!
As for health benefits -
Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds are a ?superfood?. The seeds are rich in the amino acids alanin, glycine and glutamic acid, and also contain high amounts of zinc and Omega 3 essential fatty acids. They contain high quantities of protein, iron and phosphorous and even a tablespoon a day would be a good addition to any healthy diet, particularly for vegans and vegetarians. Pumpkin seeds are also low in carbohydrates.

Pumpkin seeds, and the oil they contain, have long been used as folk medicine. Studies have shown that pumpkin seeds may reduce hormonal damage to prostate cells, thus possibly reducing the risk of developing prostate cancer. The seeds have been used to treat urinary tract infections.

Pumpkins are a tasty source of vitamins and minerals, particularly beta-carotene, vitamin C and potassium.

Sunflower seeds
Mother Nature has created a nutritional ?power pack? that is hard to beat in sunflower seeds. Healthy unsaturated fats, protein and fibre, plus important nutrients like vitamin E, selenium, copper, zinc, folate, iron and phytochemicals come wrapped up in this small and perhaps unsuspected package ? a sunflower seed.

Sunflower seeds contain both monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fat ? the types of fat that may protect the heart. Clinical studies show that higher unsaturated fat diets may be preferable even to low-fat diets because they lower total cholesterol. Almost 90% of the fat in sunflower seeds is good unsaturated fat.

Sunflower seeds are the best whole food source of vitamin E. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that may protect against heart disease by getting rid of harmful molecules called free radicals that can lead to arterioscleroses. Selenium works with vitamin E as an antioxidant and protects cells from damage that may lead to cancer, heart disease, and other health problems.
Sunflower seeds are a good natural source of Zinc, an important mineral vital for keeping your immune system strong, fending off infections and healing wounds.
High in protein, low in carbohydrates Sunflower seeds are an ideal pick-me-up tasty snack.

bomber

As mentioned above, nuts contain EFA’s. Eating a variety of nuts of all kinds is good for getting a variety of EFA’s. Raw nuts are better than toasting because most fats are sensitive to high temperatures. You can store your nuts in the freezer or refrigerator.

That was sure fun to write.

I’d still like to hear what LL has to say about this subject.

[quote]
I have a similar problem with sunflower seeds, but I think they taste great, although my tongue cannot take the salt. I really have to limit my intake, otherwise my tongue starts to peel. Not a good thing.[/quote]

Mage I am addicted to seeds as well and had to find a way around the slat Tongue issue. Not so much a worry about the sodium but the pain you get from hours of munching on the.

I got a good quick fix. Buy a large quantity. Rinse then off well in a strainer. Then re-dry/toast them over night in the ovenm at low temp. Like 200-225. DAMN Good. Just a tad of salt left inside the seed and None of the road rashed tongue. Extra toasty flavored as well.

I go thorugh a large bag a day so I dry LBS at a time. You can even flavor them with various spices of you own.

Hope that helps,
Phill

I remember my mother saying to eat my veggies as a child. I don’t ever remember her telling me to eat my nuts though…I wonder why?

Did you ever see a fat, overweight bird or an obese squirrel???/ Squirrels are not fat. If a squirrel can jump 5 feet up to my bird feeder, it can’t be fat. Do you have a 5 foot vertical jump??? So, start eatin’ your seeds and nuts and increase your VJ.

I’m addicted too. Almonds, pumpkin, sunflower, peanuts. My VJ is up to 58 inches but the has to be a large serving of nuts or seeds waiting for me as a reward. What’s that mean???

TNT

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/./1/.1115472529570.fat_squirrel_2.jpg

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
Did you ever see a fat, overweight bird or an obese squirrel???[/quote]

Yes I have. But it is always related to “helpful” humans. One was in a cage, and another was in a protected area safe from predators. (First time I saw a squirrel lying, stretched out on the ground.)

There is also a squirrel that hangs out downtown at the Zoo bar. (Lincoln) Unfortunately he is loosing his hair, but he wasn’t as fat as the others I have seen. Comes right up to people too.

[quote]The Mage wrote:
TNT-CDN wrote:
Did you ever see a fat, overweight bird or an obese squirrel???

Yes I have. But it is always related to “helpful” humans. One was in a cage, and another was in a protected area safe from predators. (First time I saw a squirrel lying, stretched out on the ground.)

There is also a squirrel that hangs out downtown at the Zoo bar. (Lincoln) Unfortunately he is loosing his hair, but he wasn’t as fat as the others I have seen. Comes right up to people too.[/quote]

Great photo man! LOL