LL Prime Wed. 9-14 and Thurs. 9-15

Will42,
I have yet to see data on exercise vs. time-of-day, but it’s a pretty safe bet that exercise supercedes all diurnal factors. It’s a pretty dramatic stimulus and is likely to enhance carb and protein metabolism regardless, IMO.

If someone is gaining fat there are options. Fewer carbs after exercise - perhaps just one cup of cereal as an example - OR a change in the time of day one trains OR the addition of pre-breakfast nonpanting cardio (which many folks around here realize I like), etc.

It’s not likely that post-workout carbs are “fattening”… at least on the order of a large bowl of cereal with added protein. The duration and intensity of the workout should justify the “post-workout nutrition”, of course. And one last course may be to take a portion of those carbs and drink them during the session.

…This is all just some general info. to ponder.

[quote]Will42 wrote:
LL,
What are your opinions about post workout carbs and training late in the day (8pm)? I usually go to bed about 930pm. I have a PWO shake and an hour later have 2 cups of Smart start and 2 scoops of whey. I know my body needs these calories but I think that I am gaining unwanted mass.
Thanks
Will42 [/quote]

Hi, I know your a fan of coffee and 10g of protein an hour before morning cardio. I wake up, have my 10g of protein and sometimes have coffee with it. But i go running within 15 minutes of having the protein. Does time matter in this situation?

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Whatdya expect? You guys sell your milk in BAGS.

[/quote]

Ya, but just so we can recycle them… :slight_smile:

Good evening, Dr Lowery. How’s life your way?

I heard something wierd about aspartame today on TV. This MD was talking about aspartame potentially causing poisoining at high dosage. He said that even lower dosage, although not toxic, could cause paradoxal hypoglycemia. What’s your take on this? Any pros an cons you can share about aspartame?

Thanks.

Hi brotzfrog10,
Well, I can’t give healthcare advice and remain responsible in this setting, so I suggest she calls her MD’s office and simply asks about her concerns. There are physicians who will give a quick answer over the phone. Being an active part of one’s own treatment like this is something we all need to do.

As far as soy, your thinking is astute regarding a closer look at the methodology. Duration is one factor, of course, as is the extent of control over the “free-living” research subjects (participants). I’d be especially interested in how closely the control and experimental groups’ diets matched. (For example, just because a macronutrient comparison [e.g. fat] isn’t “significantly different” doesn’t mean the two groups were literally “the same” in fat intake. That could be a confounder. There are many others. Still, I haven’t seen these data so I’m just speculating. We’d need to examine the manuscript. [quote]Yo Doug, are you lurking out there?[/quote]

My guess is that if the duration was just a matter of a few weeks, there’d be no effect.

And you’re right in thinking that I’m not as down on soy as some others are around here. Although the phytoestrogen content is different from say, flax, it may not be all that different in posing anti-estrogenic effects on men. The research is very much unsettled. (I personally go with flax over soy because I’ve seen more direct benefits from it, both empirically and otherwise. Not to mention the linolenate content.)

[quote]zdrax wrote:
Lonnie -

Had your dinner for lunch a couple minutes ago. Very tasty :). I used a locally produced Caeser/Asiago cheese dressing made out of Canola oil. I think for dinner I might try some ninja samurai peanut satay chicken. Mmmmm…

[/quote]Nicely done![quote]

By the way, I know that you’ve been injured for some time. Had you been/do you plan to keep practicing kendo? I know you’re very much into eastern philosophy, as am I, so I’d be interested to hear about your experiences w/ kendo. Thank you! [/quote]

I am waiting for ankle rehab to be done (undertaking some aspects on my own… not recommended for others… do not try this trick at home…etc.)

I CANNOT WAIT to get back in the dojo to train. Or the gym. (Actually, I’ve been lifting lightly again in modified ways - couldn’t hold out any longer.) I have actually been sitting in on kendo class when I take my son, just to keep up the habit and motivation. And I bought two books on kendo and iado (motivating historical stuff- I identify with budo greatly) as a means of continued improvement while I’m down. Now that I can stand without a crutch, I’m doing some suburi again at home, too.

When TC dubbed me the “Warrior Nerd” he wasn’t off the mark; I’ve done this kind of thing since I was a kid. It’s a way of life like bodybuilding is.

May you ever demonstrate Zanshin.
:wink:

I wish I had something solid to tell you from the literature but this is mostly just a personal trick of mine. I wouldn’t sweat the 15 minutes; we wake with empty stomachs and I’d guess that some amino acids should be entering the bloodstream by then. Plus, time is an ever present obstacle. We are (mostly) all bound by schedules in the morning, eh? We may not have the luxury of 30 minutes for java and protein to more fully peak in the bloodstream.

[quote]sethbron wrote:
Hi, I know your a fan of coffee and 10g of protein an hour before morning cardio. I wake up, have my 10g of protein and sometimes have coffee with it. But i go running within 15 minutes of having the protein. Does time matter in this situation?[/quote]

Thanks, I forgot to ask what u think about the combination of Spike and 10g of protein before morning cardio?

Hmm. Coincidental. I was just lecturing on aspartame today. It’s been under greater scrutiny in the press lately (cancer, etc.) and there are those who point out how it metabolizes to formic acid (fire ant poison), etc. Google it and you’ll see some horror stories but it’s really hard to tease out the truth. Anecdotes and indirect evidence only hold so much water. Real, published aspartame literature isn’t as scary. So… the official message usually taught is that there are rare “aspartame sensitive individuals”.

I personally have switched mostly to sucralose simply because I consumed so much aspartame in the past 15 years that a change might be good. (I’m a variety proponent, not just to ensure consumption of the “good stuff” in food but also to minimize potential hazards.)

You might want to try a search here on the Forums or among articles or even listen to my audio interview at your left, because we’ve discussed artificial sweeteners before.

More directly to your question… I’ve heard about serotonin issues, body weight set point changes and carb cravings (take with a “grain of salt”) but I don’t think I’ve seen anything on hypoglycemia and aspartame.

[quote]Zen warrior wrote:
Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Whatdya expect? You guys sell your milk in BAGS.

Ya, but just so we can recycle them… :slight_smile:

Good evening, Dr Lowery. How’s life your way?

I heard something wierd about aspartame today on TV. This MD was talking about aspartame potentially causing poisoining at high dosage. He said that even lower dosage, although not toxic, could cause paradoxal hypoglycemia. What’s your take on this? Any pros an cons you can share about aspartame?

Thanks.[/quote]

sethbron,
I honestly don’t fully understand how Spike works and although it’s not a traditional stimulant, I personally err on the side of caution and treat it as such. Of course, I’m hyper-sensitive to any dietary stimulant. On the other hand, there are some guys who even set an alarm clock 30-60 minutes before waking, only to roll over and slam a glass of water with their jolt of choice - in an effort to get their eyes popping wide open when the second alarm finally rings.

This is a personal choice, I guess.

I see no problems with a protein-Spike interaction BUT you should consider checking in with Cy on this. Tim Patterson and Cy get so into exotic ingredients, they are your men.

Dr. L:

I just wanted to let you know how helpful all your information has been over the past few months. I’ve done quite a bit of “fine-tuning” of my program as a result.

I’d just like your comments on a few things you seem to emphasize…and one question:

1)“Moderation and Variety” (that seems to come through in your post).

1. Be careful what you read

In realation to the Aspartame Scare, it SEEMS the “microwave” scare is another dubious one. A widely quoted study in Spain in 2003 did find that broccoli lost a lot of nutrients when microwaved. However, it turned out that the researchers used 5 ounces of water for 5 ounces of broccoli.

That’s more like boiling, which does deplete nutrients! (Your thoughts on microwaving?)

3)The age old question, Dr. L; what are you personally recommeding to your clients as a “baseline” protein requirement? Do you base it on LEAN or TOTAL bodyweight?

Thanks for everything!

Mufasa

Thanks, Mufasa. In return, your avatar has become one of the recognizable ones to me. Quality questions are always welcome.

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
Dr. L:

I just wanted to let you know how helpful all your information has been over the past few months. I’ve done quite a bit of “fine-tuning” of my program as a result.

I’d just like your comments on a few things you seem to emphasize…and one question:

1)“Moderation and Variety” (that seems to come through in your post).
[/quote]You know, when some guys are young these concepts look boring. They sure were to me as a 22 year old. But the more you live through the learning process of several years, watching data come and go, and seeing personal success vs. regrets, you realize these as truths. For those out there who think variety and moderation are lame, I’ll see you at the other end of the awareness tunnel, baby.[quote]

1. Be careful what you read

In realation to the Aspartame Scare, it SEEMS the “microwave” scare is another dubious one. A widely quoted study in Spain in 2003 did find that broccoli lost a lot of nutrients when microwaved. However, it turned out that the researchers used 5 ounces of water for 5 ounces of broccoli.

That’s more like boiling, which does deplete nutrients! (Your thoughts on microwaving?)

[/quote]Microwaving can be damaging (e.g. to peanuts) but it also has value in a time-cramped modern world. One approach is to submerge vegetables and just soften them in the microwave with only enough water to submerge them. Sure excess water can leach nutrients. Stovetop boiling may be better when there’s time: in one of my cooking courses as a grad student, we used just enough water that it completely evaporated as the broccoli became tender. That’s not easy! (Yes, I’ve trained in various food prep methods as well - even did some textbook work on the topics.)

[quote]
3)The age old question, Dr. L; what are you personally recommeding to your clients as a “baseline” protein requirement? Do you base it on LEAN or TOTAL bodyweight?
[/quote] Well, I tend to just use gross body mass, keeping in mind that fat free mass (muscle+bone+water) may be better… but also recognizing that actual muscle mass, per se, is not an exact estimate - at all. A gram per pound of total body mass is plentiful and indeed “extra” while not excessive in my view.

[quote]
Thanks for everything!

Mufasa [/quote]

Don’t be a stranger!

Okay, all.

I’m out. Thanks for the chat.

See you next Wednesday and Thursday.

LL