LL Prime Tues-Wed. 8-16/ 8-17

Dear Dr. LL

Do you have any ideas what the cause of the androgen receptor pattern in the body is ?

ie. androgen receptors seem to be dense in the traps, etc and get less dense further down

And some people have the opposite pattern…dense in the lower body and not much in the upper body ?

Thanks

Okay All,
Last one tonight…

I haven’t seen any research on white tea and fat loss (EGCG content, etc.) so I can’t make a conclusion. White tea is clearly more expensive due to harvesting time frames, etc., so I don’t consume it… but I plan to try it. And you’ve already guessed why. [quote]Yes, the $10,000 V-word.[/quote]

Good night all; see you tomorrow.

LL

[quote]ChrisPowers wrote:
Hey Lonman,

What’s your opinion on White Tea vs. Green Tea? I’ve read that white tea contains more antioxidants than green tea. Aside from the obvious answer (variety!), would you tend to favor one over the other? Would you expect white tea to possess the same fat burning tendencies as green tea?

Thanks.[/quote]

Ok Chad I’ve got about 12-16 weeks of off season that I want to hit the weights hard. Hypertrophy and strength are my concerns. Which program or programs do you recommend. I’ve got many years of training experience.

Hey LL, any reason to add pomegranate extract or resveratrol to the supplement routine? I have seen some very promising studies regarding their anti-oxidant and anti-aging properties, but I wanted to consult with the expert, as I also have heard that pomegranate is a phytoestrogen.
Thanks as always.

What is your opinion on bacopa supplementation to lower cortisol? Thanks

I have yet to read any studies on bacopa extracts. All I know is that it’s often sold in a formulation with the more traditional PS.

Lowering cortisol may be especially helpful for coffee-holics, Type A stressers, and those with low serum T. But for many guys, focusing on cortisol via supplements is usually unnecessary.

I’m open to info./ discussion, though!

[quote]dbrendel34 wrote:
What is your opinion on bacopa supplementation to lower cortisol? Thanks[/quote]

dermo,
There are always raspberries, grapes and peanuts as sources of resveratrol. I agree that it looks very promising.

[quote]dermo wrote:
Hey LL, any reason to add pomegranate extract or resveratrol to the supplement routine? I have seen some very promising studies regarding their anti-oxidant and anti-aging properties, but I wanted to consult with the expert, as I also have heard that pomegranate is a phytoestrogen.
Thanks as always.[/quote]

Siscokid,
I hope Big Chad got to your question, over in his thread or by way of PM. I’m tempted to offer some info. but I need to stick to the nutrition half of my academic training… or TC will smack me upside the head with a limp salmon!

[quote]siscokid wrote:
Ok Chad I’ve got about 12-16 weeks of off season that I want to hit the weights hard. Hypertrophy and strength are my concerns. Which program or programs do you recommend. I’ve got many years of training experience.
[/quote]

what macronutrient combination you think is suitable for powerlifters?

high carb/moderate protein/low fat?
low carb/moderate protein/high fat?
moderate carb/high protein/low fat?

i’m trying to improve my number of bench press, but i want to lose fat at the same time, which combination you’ll recommend me to eat?

LL, if you noticed in some of the picture threads lately their has been a backlash of people against dieting down. Basically telling people who arent terribly muscular but arent terribly lean either(13-15% bf via internet guesstimation :slight_smile: ) that they need to continue bulking to get more muscle.

My question is:
From a health standpoint when do you think it starts becoming important to lean out? Is their a % bf that you would reccomend people dont go over if overall health is a concern? As BF rises more then a few ‘bad’ metabolic affects set in. Stuff like decreased insulin sensativity(which isnt bad when dieting down but thats a diff story) and more chronic inflammation

Monster Wong,
It depends on recent results (3-6 months) in relation to what macronutrient ratio has been consumed. That is, if it’s been low-to-moderate fat lately (<80-100g daily, depending on kcal intake) and there’s a progress plateau, a jump in fat of a few dozen additional grams daily may help T levels. (T driving neural responses as well as muscle mass.)

I spoke to a highly visible/ popular powerlifter some time ago and an individual nutrition assessment was what I suggested. There’s just so much client history affecting dietary needs.

(I’m not usually a big fan of high carbs for PL, though.)

blam,
Good - and tough - question. As far as a limit to body fat whilst bulking, my gut response (pun intended!) would be that anything above average college male (~18% fat) is too far.

I may get flak for this reply, and I don’t think the problems of obesity to which you allude manifest untilone is much fatter than this, but we need to have a ballpark figure.

My friend Fortress and I have discussed this many times. In moving toward a 700 pound squat (natural), he has to carry more and more body fat. He’swilling to do this for the strength. He knows that it’s a necessity without drugs and is willing to pay that price. Although I personally would not get so heavy,I also respect his competitive aspirations and autonomy.

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
blam,
Good - and tough - question. As far as a limit to body fat whilst bulking, my gut response (pun intended!) would be that anything above average college male (~18% fat) is too far.

I may get flak for this reply, and I don’t think the problems of obesity to which you allude manifest untilone is much fatter than this, but we need to have a ballpark figure.

My friend Fortress and I have discussed this many times. In moving toward a 700 pound squat (natural), he has to carry more and more body fat. He’swilling to do this for the strength. He knows that it’s a necessity without drugs and is willing to pay that price. Although I personally would not get so heavy,I also respect his competitive aspirations and autonomy.

[/quote]

PLers are different in that most want to keep at an elivated wait for longer periods of time(I assume).

Is the P-Ratio(ratio of fat/muscle gains) symetrical w/r to % bf? For example as we get to higher % bf’s one will gain more and more fat compared to muscle; We also know that the fatter you are the more fat we will loose compared to muscle when cutting so take the following example:

-Someone ‘bulking’ at 15% bf will gain x amount of fat and y amount of muscle
-Someone ‘cutting’ at 15% bf will loose a amount of fat and b amount of muscle

Will the ratio of muscle to fat gains when bulking be equal to the opposite ratio when cutting?(fat to muscle lost)

My feeling is that if they arent equal or favorable(IE: you will loose more muscle compared to fat when cutting at that weight then you will gain muscle compared to fat) that it is best to stay pretty close to the range of %bf when they are close to being equal so you maximize how much of your gains you save when you do finally loose weight.

Not related to health and %bf but another thought that was rolling around in my head.

blam,

This depends in large part on how one “bulks” and how he “cuts”. For me, if I’m gaining poorer than a 70/30 or maybe 60/40 ratio of muscle:fat, I’m going to change tactics.

Conversely, if I’m losing worse than the opposite of this (less than 60-70% of early weight loss as fat), I’m going to rethink matters.

Although it’s fun to call it a partitioning ratio like Lyle does, it’s no big thing, really. The body has redundant mechanisms to preserve weight/ body comp and once we lose 10% of our overall weight, it’s going to get tougher. Similarly, cutting kcal more than 300-500kcal or so daily will set endocrine events in motion that may call for increasing restriction (or cardio) after a couple weeks.

Alright, all,

It’s past 9:30 and I’m heading out of town manana. Time for bed.

Take care,
LL