LL Prime Time Wed. 9/7 and Thurs 9/8/05

Alriighty then…

It’s 9:30 and I’m done. Stick a fork in me.

See you all tomorrow.

Thanks for the answer, Lon.

LL, I have a quandry for you to ponder, should you see this tomorrow (btw it’s only 7:14, you slacker!)

Regarding milk and carbs, lactose being a sugar, see if you can unravel this puzzle: Hood Carb Countdown dairy “beverage” claims to have only 3g of sugars and 3g of total carbs per cup, yet they claim that their “milk” is not lactose free. How do you resolve this apparant contradiction?

Maybe the 3g is the lactose, and the other ~9g of sugars in regular milk are other sugars?

What do you think?

START THURSDAY POSTS

You bet. Sorry I couldn’t offer more.

PS I answered this on your other post (‘Dr. L PT’) as well, just in case.

[quote]Robert Monti wrote:
Thanks for the answer, Lon. [/quote]

I haven’t looked into it but why can’t the 3g in Carb Countdown just be lactose? (BTW, Yes, all 12g of carb in regular milk is, in fact, lactose.)

My guess is that some of the 3g is indeed this controversial disaccharide and some may be he result of a thickening agent which gives the milk its texture. Food technologists get too clever for me (sometimes with spectacular failures like regular margarine!)

But what do I know? I’m just a slacker!

:wink:

[quote]Need4Speed wrote:
LL, I have a quandry for you to ponder, should you see this tomorrow (btw it’s only 7:14, you slacker!)

Regarding milk and carbs, lactose being a sugar, see if you can unravel this puzzle: Hood Carb Countdown dairy “beverage” claims to have only 3g of sugars and 3g of total carbs per cup, yet they claim that their “milk” is not lactose free. How do you resolve this apparant contradiction?

Maybe the 3g is the lactose, and the other ~9g of sugars in regular milk are other sugars?

What do you think?[/quote]

Hello,
I have recently started taking supplements, starting with fish oil and flax seed oil. My question is two fold:

1- Does flax seed oil give any additional benefits to fish oil capsules? I know that flax seed oil has a precursor to EPA/DHA but there is ~25% conversion rate in the body so would it be better just to take fish oil capsules?

2 - A general question about supplements, are there any things to look out for that aid bioavailability of these supplemts in the body i.e Biotest has the Nano-Dispersion technology but is there anything else that aids delivery?

Indra

Here’s one from email (or was it PM?)… anyway…

[quote]Anonymous wrote:
HI Dr. LL,

i think you should heard something like protein cycling. just like “carb cycling”, is it effective? the mechanism of protein cycling is similar to carb cycling, saying that if we lower the protein intake for some days, after that we eat more protein, the body will tend to store those extra proteins, is it true?

or is it just a myth?[/quote]

As with carb cycling, there’s just not a consensus in the scientific literature that these practices add up to more muscle or less fat in the long haul. (This is not to say they have no effect; just that scientists don’t know yet.) As we so often hear: “more research is needed.”

A concern of mine would be that although protein restriction may lead to subsequent enhanced anabolism, what about the protein deprivation period that it took to get there? Wouldn’t it result in reduced anabolism or even X amount of muscle loss? I guess what I’m saying is that over a given period of say, two months, does the benefit outweigh the risk of the initial deprivation/ wasting period?

Just some thoughts. And thoughts are probably the majority of what you’ll find on these topics.

Hope that helps a little.

LL

[quote]indra wrote:
Hello,
I have recently started taking supplements, starting with fish oil and flax seed oil. My question is two fold:

1- Does flax seed oil give any additional benefits to fish oil capsules? I know that flax seed oil has a precursor to EPA/DHA but there is ~25% conversion rate in the body so would it be better just to take fish oil capsules?

[/quote]The precursor fatty acid of which you speak, linolenic acid, may actually have biological effects all its own. This is a bit controversial, though. The food sources of linolenic acid like flax and walnuts, DO have benefits all their own, however. The phytochemicals are health-promoting in a number of ways (although nuts can be an allergy risk)[quote]

2 - A general question about supplements, are there any things to look out for that aid bioavailability of these supplemts in the body i.e Biotest has the Nano-Dispersion technology but is there anything else that aids delivery?
[/quote]
Scientists and supplement formulators have looked into delivery technologies for years: cyclodextrins, effervescence, micelles, and even some potentially mucosally damaging substances. Suffice it to say that delivery across the lining of the intestines is pretty high naturally (about 95% of macronutrients are absorbed) and even co-consuming foods that may interfere a bit isn’t a big problem most of the time.

Tim Patterson is absolutely tenacious in finding new technologies like micellar casein/ Nano-Dispersion, etc. and I would actually defer to his knowledge on this one![quote]

Indra[/quote]

Hi,
I read on one of the ‘Cool Tips’ the other day that when you wake in the morning your body is essentially in a post-workout state, so you can get away with eating some high GI carbs and protein.
Does this mean that it’s ok to chug down some simple carbs and protein before work, rather than taking extra time to make oatmeal or whatever?

Although glucose tolerance (dietary carb handling) is better in the morning, that’s not the same as a post-workout “window of opportunity”.

It’s still smart to go for lower-glycemic index carbs/ fiber, etc. for breakfast and second-breakfast.

[quote]Augustus wrote:
Hi,
I read on one of the ‘Cool Tips’ the other day that when you wake in the morning your body is essentially in a post-workout state, so you can get away with eating some high GI carbs and protein.
Does this mean that it’s ok to chug down some simple carbs and protein before work, rather than taking extra time to make oatmeal or whatever?[/quote]

Okay, All.

I’m out of here. See you next Wednesday and Thursday during Prime Time!

LL