LL Live 6-28 & 6-30-05

It’s Tuesday night and I’m open for “office hours” (electronically speaking).

EDIT: Now it’s Thursday night; pan down, eh?

Got questions?

Dr. LL, I think everyone would love to get your input on the following thread: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=672988

Also, what’s your take on the idea of creatine causing bloating and water retention?

Cheers

Dr. Lowery,

Let’s say you have some brutal 3 a days coming up and they only get you in for 3 meals. Hell week for 2 weeks pretty much. I am eating 6 meals now of course and eating a ton of food to gain lean mass. However, any suggestions for not allowing the weight to shed off faster than wild coyote falling off a cliff?

I really would hate for the gains I have made to just slip right off in two weeks.

Any suggestions I will be figuring this out someway or another because a lot of loss is un -acceptable.

-Get Lifted

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Dr. LL, I think everyone would love to get your input on the following thread: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=672988

Also, what’s your take on the idea of creatine causing bloating and water retention?

Cheers[/quote]

And, what’s your take on Surge causing bloating?

Thanks.

Dear LL,

i’ve heard that after you intake protein. glucagon release. but no one tell me if there is any difference between whole food protein & liquid protein. will the effect similar?
in my mind,
whole food protein include:
eggs,chicken,beef,fish…etc.

liquid protein include:
whey protein powder or other kinds of protein powder…

and another question is in a recent article in T-Nation, whey protein is not “fast” anymore, just “moderate” absorption speed…is that true?

if it’s not “fast”, then the idea of the rapid raise & fall of blood amino acids about intake whey is wrong?? any idea of this?

Hey David,
Long ago I looked at fluid compartment time courses during creatine administration. The data are mixed but I have seen a rise in extracellular fluid early on (via low-frequency BIA measures*) with an increasing rise in intracellular fluid after the first couple days. This seems to make sense in a transport-toward-its-destination kind of way.

[quote]*Of course we’re seriously pushing the senstivity of this measure with just a liter or two change in TBW. However, MRI scans do also show a rise in cross sectional area (muscle hyper-hydration) which supports the observations.

Get Lifted,
You probably know that the simple answer is to eat twice as much in the three available meals as you do now in six.

Two weeks is too short a time but it would be an interesting experiment into frequent feedings vs. “three squares”, eh?

bikemike,
Don’t know about the Surge vs. bloating thing. Carbs, of course take 3g of water for each gram of storage (extrapolating from some animal data and gross body weight changes in people). Maybe someone on a low carb diet who goes nuts on Surge would hold some water? Again, just speculating. I don’t know.

Monster Wong,
Whole food or liquid, it’s still just amino acids in the blood stream. I haven’t seen data comparing the glucagon responses to different amino acid profiles in athletes, though.

Consumed liquids are released from the stomach more quickly than solids, though.

Drinking whey would still be fast compared to say, eating a solid chicken breast. And the way casein clots, I’ve got to think that it’d release its amino acids more slowly into the circulation. Plus, the functional food aspects of whey are also cool - increased glutathione, etc., so combined with the convenience of powders and the hydration provided, I still think (whey-containing) protein drinks have their place peri-workout.

Hi Dr. Lowery,

1.)I am having some digestion/alergy issues with the whey/casein proteins. What are your thoughts on egg based protein powders as the next best thing?

2.)More out of curiosity…I was in a supplement store and saw a vegetarian protein supplement that uses rice protein. I’ve never heard of this before. What do you know about rice protein?

Thanks,
Jason

[quote]Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Get Lifted,
You probably know that the simple answer is to eat twice as much in the three available meals as you do now in six.

Two weeks is too short a time but it would be an interesting experiment into frequent feedings vs. “three squares”, eh?[/quote]

Yeah-I’d be interested in hearing how it works for ya. I don’t think it would be good for me. I’m hungry every couple hours no matter how much or how little I eat the meal before it. I’ve always naturally eaten small meals all day long.

JS MAxwell,
Egg is very high quality protein. And fairly rapid for peri-workout, as I recall. Just keep in mind that egg allergy is very possible too.

Rice protein would likely be less allergenic but not as high in quality, biologically.

I just noticed a typo on my part.

I meant “eat as much in the three available meals as you do now in six.”

You know, eat three meals that are twice as large to be the daily kcal and protein equivalent of your current six meals…

Ah, you know what I mean! Keep us posted on your experience, eh?

[quote]jsbrook wrote:
Lonnie Lowery wrote:
Get Lifted,

Two weeks is too short a time but it would be an interesting experiment into frequent feedings vs. “three squares”, eh?

Yeah-I’d be interested in hearing how it works for ya. I don’t think it would be good for me. I’m hungry every couple hours no matter how much or how little I eat the meal before it. I’ve always naturally eaten small meals all day long.
[/quote]

10:00 bedtime. See you Thursday.

Take Care.

Hi All,
I’m back for the Thursday night thing.

Got (more) questions?

Hi, Lon. Did you see the thread on Sulphur Containing Fatty-Acids? Cy thought you would be the one to give a definitive comment.

LL-quick question my pre-workout meal is 2 scoops of quarker oatmeal with 6 egg whites. I’ve recently heard that glucose pre-workout could aid in fat blocking(meaning prevent you from burning fat) though I’m very confused as your anaaerobic systems will burn the glucose first then fat. Is this the same prinicpal? So more or less if my preworkout meal ok?

Yep, Martin, I justed posted over there… but I’m no geneticist and discussions over PPAR subtypes/ functions can ramp up outside of my field per se. For example, the nuclear receptor PPARgamma appears to upreg lipogenic enzymes in a cell yet I believe giving PPARgamma agonists (stimulants) can lead to less fatty liver due to insulin sensitizing effects. This is an example of how paradoxical this stuff gets. “Bio-assays” (administer the drug then observe effects) then become necessary to see what actualy happens.

I think PPAR agonsist drugs will become a big target in anti-obesity, Syndrome X, etc. pharm research in the next 10 years.

As far as sulfur-containing amino acids specifically, I PM’d Helix about that a while back. I think we just need to wait for some human data.

bigpump,
Short answer? No, not a problem. Prior carb intake only becomes an issue for light-moderate intensity cardio when direct fat oxidation is the goal.

Weight training actually benefits from prior carb intake, as does high intensity “cardio”, when glycogen (stored carbs) become the fuel anyway. You would have to consider overall calorie balance (kcal eaten - kcal expended) in a session if fat loss was the goal, though.

And to boot, I saw a talk this year that the glycemic index (rapidity into the blood) of oatmeal is so low that a small amount it isn’t much of an issue even prior to slower, fat-oxidizing treadmill exercise. (I have never seen these data first hand, though.)

I must burn about 8,000,000 calories at work. I don’t want to lose mass.

1. is it o.k. to drink Surge on a full stomach.

2. should I be drinking Surge or Grow during breaks and inbetween, when possible.