LL Live 6-23-05

tall tom,
I too have seen research with this many capsules (approximating 18-20g fish oil daily) but these were carefully monitored studies with bloodwork, monitoring of any symptoms, and with participants who were (hopefully) well informed of potential risks and benefits.

After looking at literal reams of studies, I think that a 3.0g dose of combined EPA + DHA is maximally effective without undue risks (not that fish fatty acids carry serious toxicity per se; any unwanted side effects are usually overblown “main effects” from overzealous intake).

Similarly, keeping to the moderation-type approach, I think that (especially men) should limit flax intake to 2 Tbsp. ground flaxmeal, as opposed to actual oil capsules or sponfulls. Additional benefits are to be had (fiber, lignans) from the ground flax and the mixed but somewat concerning data out there on linolenate and prostate problems support this caution.

Overall, people need to respect the pharmaceutical-like potency of fatty acids - all of them.

I hope this helps!

Hey fragfeaster,
That’s a good book - and can get decently advanced! Unless you’ve got some grad school under your belt, it’s a pretty safe policy to trust published peer-reviewed data in a collegiate textbook like this. A critical mind is always good but most studies that are a few years old (and even morethan a few) are still very valid.

th_underdog,
I’d call a local WIC clinic or pick up a collegiate type introductory nutrition textbook. Need for iron and other nutritents go up too. Flax has phytoestrogens that I’d look into very thoroughly before feeding to a pregnant woman!

Eating a wide variety of foods is basically always a good idea. As far as EPA and DHA, there are infant formulas containing them - those should be safe for a future mom as well (contaminant free). My own wife just took a very occasional fish oil capsule (I don’t recall exactly but perhaps one or two most but not all weeks), especially as the pregnancy continued on. This way we knew that she was getting in at least some EPA and DHA but not so much to be a concern - even if the tiniest amount of contamination was somehow present.

(As a side note, my son is now in “gifted” classes with a handful of other kids from around our county. I doubt this was due to his EPA + DHA exposure but maybe that tiny prudent amount helped a bit.)

Again, going to the child nutrition experts is best.

Try a search for “Keep the Iron on the Bar”. We men accumulate iron between out teen years and mid-30s, with potentially deleterious consequences. Think “reverse antioxidant”.

It’s not practical for a weight lifter or anyone to avoid it in the diet (foods) but the vast majority of us sure don’t need to supplement it!

[quote]jka_72 wrote:
Lonnie Lowery wrote:

I’m partial to wholesale club “silver” type (iron-free) multi-vites/mins.

Do we get too much iron in our normal diets?

[/quote]

Alriighty then.

I will leave you with this bit of advice:
[b]
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.

Wisdom is knowing not to put one in your fruit salad.
[/b]
Take care,
LL

What are your thoughts for an O-lifter who is trying to maintain his strength and keep his BF down after a hip injury has sidelined any and all lower body compound movements (which has obviously compromised my overall calorie expenditure)?

Also, could you possibly explain why something like Power Drive “revamps” the nervous system when taken post-workout? I won’t be taking neuro until the fall so I want to know the exact hows and whys of what I am doing and what is going on inside this crazy body of mine.

Last one: Can you see any problem with normal individuals doubling their daily vegetable intake from a variety of sources (for the purposes of forcing people to actually eat enough vegetables, and/or to increase satiety so weight loss might ensue)? If I am barking up the wrong tree here, please let me know.

As always, thank you for your insight.

are you saying we should ditch the oil? i have never heard this before.