LL: Counting Protein

Hi there Lonnie thanks for taking are questions tonight

My first question relates to couting protein grams in incomplete protein sources such as grains, beans, and nuts. Should you count the calories but disregard the protein grams or count them as long as you combine them with other whole protein sources.

My second question relates to protein bars especially the glycerin or sugar alcohols contained in some of them. The net carb thing is redicules i just wanted to know how gylcerine should count. Also could you recommened a nutritious fairly good tasting bar. I know you would probably recommened Biotest Grow! bars but they are not available yet any other good options.

lastly one quick question about setting up a carb up carb down system. could you do high carbs on days that you lift say like 250-300 carbs then follow a t-dawg diet system on non training days. could that still work for fat loss.

Hey brotzfrog10,
PROTEIN: Counting all grams consumed is prudent. Although there is ongoing debate over whether one must eat complimentary proteins (e.g. beans and grains) at one sitting, the general consensus to my understanding is that getting in complimentary proteins anytime throughout the day is sufficient. Biochemically speaking, I still think I’d personally try to get them in together.

PRO BARS: Glycerine (glycerol) is a 3-carbon “sugar” providing about half of the kcal of “real” 6-carbon sugars like glucose (as I recall). It doesn’t have amuch impact on blood sugar, which is one reason it’s in those low-carb bars, and it does have a role in the body. Still, it’s not something I’d look for in a protein bar. I did a full review article of bars a few years ago and what struck me was the ORDER of “protein” sources on the ingredients list. Of course “Hydroloyzed collagen” and vague terms like “hydrolyzed protein” or gelatin should not be first second or even third on the list. Brands? Ugh, I swore off of bars despite their convenience a while back - after having my “hooves and horns” fears confirmed via my pseudo-random sample “market analysis”. I’d look for whey and casein high on the ingredients list (NOT total grams protein on the supplement facts label), maybe some fiber and maltodextrin and perhaps a low-dose of a few vitamins/ minerals (other than iron).

CARB UP/ DOWN: Adjusting carbs to training expenditure isn’t a bad idea. Some guys eat more steadily and let the exercise contribute to a “natural” up/ down in kcal intake, though. I’m not convinced (and I’ve seen research) that a day-by-day fluctuation is enough to prevent a slowing metabolism while dieting, however. I’m more a fan of taking 4-7 days totally off (other than low-intensity calorie draining) to restore metabolic rate, replenish carb (glycogen) stores and recover after several (8-12?) weeks of lower kcal intake. The trick is never to go overboard on dietary restriction and focus on activity to create negative energy balance.

Good luck bro!
LL

[quote]brotzfrog10 wrote:
Hi there Lonnie thanks for taking are questions tonight

My first question relates to couting protein grams in incomplete protein sources such as grains, beans, and nuts. Should you count the calories but disregard the protein grams or count them as long as you combine them with other whole protein sources.

My second question relates to protein bars especially the glycerin or sugar alcohols contained in some of them. The net carb thing is redicules i just wanted to know how gylcerine should count. Also could you recommened a nutritious fairly good tasting bar. I know you would probably recommened Biotest Grow! bars but they are not available yet any other good options.

lastly one quick question about setting up a carb up carb down system. could you do high carbs on days that you lift say like 250-300 carbs then follow a t-dawg diet system on non training days. could that still work for fat loss.[/quote]