'Living Wage' Mandate Sends Walmart Running

[quote]Da Man reloaded wrote:

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
There are piss-poor areas in the US where people will cut each others throat for those minimum-wage jobs and even offer to accept less than minimum wage.

So what flies in Europe may not necessarily fly here. Walmart has us where they want us and we accept that.

Rob[/quote]

Walmart may have us with the collusion of the government but it doesn’t have to be that way. Germany is a prime example. the people need to get together and stand up for what is right and equitable. Unions used to play a big part in this but have been systematically attacked by big business and deserted by politicians.

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

please point me to what law/statute/amendment that says every job offered by any company must pay more than minimum wage. isnt that what minimum wage is- the ‘minimum wage’ a worker must be paid?

who in their fucking right mind tries to make a god damn living on minimum wage? if you do a job that a trained monkey or middle schooler could do, you have little negotiation power when it comes to wages.

sorry, but that is how life works. you have no redeeming quality or desirable skill, you take what you can get. want better? get better.[/quote]

I have my share of hard-earned college degrees and I’m doing pretty well. Even people with a HS diploma have entered skilled trades are doing very well.

The people with limited intelligence and or skills are sucking wind. The more industrious are
working another part time or full time job.

Walmarts have a habit of popping up everywhere from Bumfuck Egypt to major cities. In the smaller towns, they are often the major employer. I don’t quite see the preoccupation with bashing the hell out of them. I buy my gym clothes, pool supplies, health care items and every so often something like an HD TV from them.

Free enterprise works and they have better buying power out of sheer volume. They put the squeeze on their suppliers for rock bottom long-term deals that sometimes hurt the suppliers after a while.

Rob

I just can’t comprehend how people convince themselves, logically, big companies must be inherently evil.

The people that are making minimum wage there are virtually always UNskilled workers. You’re not supposed to be able to live well without any skills. That’s why we get skills and use them in a workplace. You can, however, live off of minimum wage. It’s just not gonna be all super cushy, but as long as you’re smart with your money and live within your means, absolutely possible. People having these ridiculous entitlements and feeling they deserve a nice car and 2 more bedrooms than they have residents, an iphone, and go out to eat every day, that is the real problem.

Free enterprise works and they have better buying power out of sheer volume. [/quote]

There is no free enterprise when you consider retail companies like Walmart. Many of the people who produce goods for companies like Walmart are almost slaves. I’ve seen the abusive conditions in China. Companies like Walmart are getting rich by abusing people.

[quote]hungry4more wrote:
I just can’t comprehend how people convince themselves, logically, big companies must be inherently evil. [/quote]

They aren’t inherently evil. They tend to do evil things. There is a big difference.

Doing corporate business in China, Africa, or the Middle East? Then you are almost certainly giving money to groups far worse than the KKK.

Yet if an individual buys cupcakes at a KKK rally the general public would consider them less than upstanding. Even if the KKK made tasty cupcakes!

You can, however, live off of minimum wage. It’s just not gonna be all super cushy, but as long as you’re smart with your money and live within your means, absolutely possible.

People having these ridiculous entitlements and feeling they deserve a nice car and 2 more bedrooms than they have residents, an iphone, and go out to eat every day, that is the real problem. [/quote]

Preach.

[quote]phaethon wrote:

Free enterprise works and they have better buying power out of sheer volume. [/quote]

There is no free enterprise when you consider retail companies like Walmart. Many of the people who produce goods for companies like Walmart are almost slaves. I’ve seen the abusive conditions in China. Companies like Walmart are getting rich by abusing people.[/quote]

What brand of gym shoe do you own?? Is every non perishable you own European or North American made??

[quote]jbpick86 wrote:

[quote]phaethon wrote:

There is no free enterprise when you consider retail companies like Walmart. Many of the people who produce goods for companies like Walmart are almost slaves. I’ve seen the abusive conditions in China. Companies like Walmart are getting rich by abusing people.[/quote]

What brand of gym shoe do you own?? Is every non perishable you own European or North American made??[/quote]

This. Sadly, it’s essentially impossible to not indirectly (whether 3rd, 4th, 5th ddegrees of separation, etc) fund bad people. It’s a fact of life. If you consume chocolate, you are contributing to slavery. If you buy shoes, you are almost definitely enabling sweatshop labor. If you pay taxes, you are funding weapons being provided to terrorists. You can only go so far with this, in real life.

There are piss-poor areas in the US where people will cut each others throat for those minimum-wage jobs and even offer to accept less than minimum wage.

So what flies in Europe may not necessarily fly here. Walmart has us where they want us and we accept that.

Rob[/quote]

Walmart may have us with the collusion of the government but it doesn’t have to be that way. Germany is a prime example. the people need to get together and stand up for what is right and equitable. Unions used to play a big part in this but have been systematically attacked by big business and deserted by politicians.

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

please point me to what law/statute/amendment that says every job offered by any company must pay more than minimum wage. isnt that what minimum wage is- the ‘minimum wage’ a worker must be paid?

who in their fucking right mind tries to make a god damn living on minimum wage? if you do a job that a trained monkey or middle schooler could do, you have little negotiation power when it comes to wages.

sorry, but that is how life works. you have no redeeming quality or desirable skill, you take what you can get. want better? get better.[/quote]
The people are allowed to demand a living wage. And if politicians are behind them, all the better as politicians are normally behind big business. Why can the German government demand more for their people but the U.S. can’t?

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Walmart should go ahead and raise its wages.

Then one of two things will happen:
-it will pass those wage increases on to consumers
-it will decrease its profit margins and our taxes will go up or 401ks will not increase as fast

Obviously Walmart is a euphemism for a general raising of wages…

[/quote]
Walmart already passes things on to consumers. Who do you think pays for their food stamps and medical because they are not paid a living wage because the Waltons are too greedy? And you thought those low costs were all were all there was to it…

Rob[/quote]

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

I have my share of hard-earned college degrees and I’m doing pretty well. Even people with a HS diploma have entered skilled trades are doing very well.

The people with limited intelligence and or skills are sucking wind. The more industrious are
working another part time or full time job.

Walmarts have a habit of popping up everywhere from Bumfuck Egypt to major cities. In the smaller towns, they are often the major employer. I don’t quite see the preoccupation with bashing the hell out of them. I buy my gym clothes, pool supplies, health care items and every so often something like an HD TV from them.

Free enterprise works and they have better buying power out of sheer volume. They put the squeeze on their suppliers for rock bottom long-term deals that sometimes hurt the suppliers after a while.

Rob[/quote]

You also pay for the workers medical and food stamps because of the low wages.

-it will decrease its profit margins and our taxes will go up or 401ks will not increase as fast

[/quote]
Walmart already passes things on to consumers. Who do you think pays for their food stamps and medical because they are not paid a living wage because the Waltons are too greedy? And you thought those low costs were all were all there was to it…[/quote]

No doubt - I don’t disagree at all. Unfortunately, there is no way to define what ‘too greedy’ is so the Waltons are going to continue to want to make what they want to make. So, if employee wages go up, it will mean higher prices for everyone. If a law is passed, then that means all stores will have the same increased prices. So the guy now making more money, has to pay more money to survive. Probably the only way around this would be the exact opposite, put a maximum wage in place. But that will never happen (in the US anyway) and it hasn’t helped Cuba too much.

Rob[/quote]

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

The people are allowed to demand a living wage. And if politicians are behind them, all the better as politicians are normally behind big business. Why can the German government demand more for their people but the U.S. can’t?[/quote]

the people are also allowed to demand gold thrones and personal aircraft. Doesnt mean they will get it. especially if they have no marketable skills.

germany and the us are different, thats how. cradle to grave hasnt completely taken control of the US yet. it has in germany.

[/quote]
Walmart already passes things on to consumers. Who do you think pays for their food stamps and medical because they are not paid a living wage because the Waltons are too greedy? And you thought those low costs were all were all there was to it…[/quote]

No doubt - I don’t disagree at all. Unfortunately, there is no way to define what ‘too greedy’ is so the Waltons are going to continue to want to make what they want to make. So, if employee wages go up, it will mean higher prices for everyone. If a law is passed, then that means all stores will have the same increased prices. So the guy now making more money, has to pay more money to survive. Probably the only way around this would be the exact opposite, put a maximum wage in place. But that will never happen (in the US anyway) and it hasn’t helped Cuba too much.
[/quote]

You may not give it a pinpoint definition but when they make billions and their workers have to be subsidized to be able to live I think we’ve reached the point. And what about what the German government did? The workers in that country are treated better than the workers in this country. You think that is okay?

Rob[/quote]

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

The people are allowed to demand a living wage. And if politicians are behind them, all the better as politicians are normally behind big business. Why can the German government demand more for their people but the U.S. can’t?[/quote]

the people are also allowed to demand gold thrones and personal aircraft. Doesnt mean they will get it. especially if they have no marketable skills.

germany and the us are different, thats how. cradle to grave hasnt completely taken control of the US yet. it has in germany.[/quote]
Cradle to grave arguments are more idealogical in nature. If Walmart can make a profit all the while mandated to pay a certain wage, vacation and medical costs in Germany, why can’t they in the U.S.?

[quote]phaethon wrote:

I just can’t comprehend how people convince themselves, logically, big companies must be inherently evil. [/quote]

They aren’t inherently evil. They tend to do evil things. There is a big difference.

Doing corporate business in China, Africa, or the Middle East? Then you are almost certainly giving money to groups far worse than the KKK.

Yet if an individual buys cupcakes at a KKK rally the general public would consider them less than upstanding. Even if the KKK made tasty cupcakes![/quote]

Instead of KKK lets use the organization called the Black Panther Party.

Rob[/quote]

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

germany and the us are different, thats how. cradle to grave hasnt completely taken control of the US yet. it has in germany.[/quote]
Cradle to grave arguments are more idealogical in nature. If Walmart can make a profit all the while mandated to pay a certain wage, vacation and medical costs in Germany, why can’t they in the U.S.?[/quote]

if they can make a larger profit here, why shouldnt they?

your argument is ideological in nature.

Rob[/quote]

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

Cradle to grave arguments are more idealogical in nature. If Walmart can make a profit all the while mandated to pay a certain wage, vacation and medical costs in Germany, why can’t they in the U.S.?[/quote]

your argument is ideological in nature.[/quote]

Because it forces the public to pay for their medical and food stamps. Why should we have to do so when Walmart can pay? Why do the public in Germany get treated better than America?

Rob[/quote]

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

your argument is ideological in nature.[/quote]

Because it forces the public to pay for their medical and food stamps. Why should we have to do so when Walmart can pay? Why do the public in Germany get treated better than America?
[/quote]

These same americans will receive those benefits whether they work or not, so why not have them become productive contributing members of society instead of 100% cost?

I just can’t comprehend how people convince themselves, logically, big companies must be inherently evil.

The people that are making minimum wage there are virtually always UNskilled workers. You’re not supposed to be able to live well without any skills. That’s why we get skills and use them in a workplace. You can, however, live off of minimum wage. It’s just not gonna be all super cushy, but as long as you’re smart with your money and live within your means, absolutely possible. People having these ridiculous entitlements and feeling they deserve a nice car and 2 more bedrooms than they have residents, an iphone, and go out to eat every day, that is the real problem. [/quote]

If big companies are taxed at a lower rate than small companies than the big company is at a huge advantage of the small company. A lot of time in retail profit is in the single digit percent range . Walmart may pay %0 and Ma and pa may pay %25 . Sales tax rates are more erroneous .

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
WalMart is not running. They are threatening to pull out 1,800 jobs from D.C. this is sending the City Council Members running.

Have no clue what article you posted because I have you ignored, but your title obviously shows a Union bias against Wal-Mart.[/quote]

AKA, I’m not reading your article, which the thread is about… So I shouldn’t have posted in the first place. At least read the article before you chime in.