'Living Wage' Mandate Sends Walmart Running

Funny how when Walmart wanted to open in Germany their government demanded a certain wage, benefits and vacations otherwise they were not allowed to open. Guess what? Walmart opened and still made a profit. Sad that the public in Germany is treated better than our own. If everyone ion the U.S. would adopt this demand Walmart would have no choice but to pay it or close all of their business in this country and they wouldn’t do that because they would still make a profit.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/07/09/living-wage-mandate-in-d-c-sends-walmart-running

WalMart is not running. They are threatening to pull out 1,800 jobs from D.C. this is sending the City Council Members running.

Have no clue what article you posted because I have you ignored, but your title obviously shows a Union bias against Wal-Mart.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
WalMart is not running. They are threatening to pull out 1,800 jobs from D.C. this is sending the City Council Members running.

Have no clue what article you posted because I have you ignored, but your title obviously shows a Union bias against Wal-Mart.[/quote]

How dare Americans demand to be treated to a living wage. If this government was not owned by corporations or if the rest of the country did the same Walmart would have no choice but to pay up.

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

Have no clue what article you posted because I have you ignored, but your title obviously shows a Union bias against Wal-Mart.[/quote]

I just love the way you so called conservatives ignore people :slight_smile: Fuck Walmart maybe it will give a store a chance to compete that would be better for the economy of DC

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

I just love the way you so called conservatives ignore people :slight_smile: Fuck Walmart maybe it will give a store a chance to compete that would be better for the economy of DC[/quote]

I have not ignored you. I enjoy our conversations.

The law actually gives all companies that have unions a pass. Those companies still can pay minimum wage of $8.65 (Washington D.C. minimum wage) and the non union companies have to pay $12.50. Seems really biased to me.

There are piss-poor areas in the US where people will cut each others throat for those minimum-wage jobs and even offer to accept less than minimum wage.

So what flies in Europe may not necessarily fly here. Walmart has us where they want us and we accept that.

Rob

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
There are piss-poor areas in the US where people will cut each others throat for those minimum-wage jobs and even offer to accept less than minimum wage.

So what flies in Europe may not necessarily fly here. Walmart has us where they want us and we accept that.

Rob[/quote]

Walmart may have us with the collusion of the government but it doesn’t have to be that way. Germany is a prime example. the people need to get together and stand up for what is right and equitable. Unions used to play a big part in this but have been systematically attacked by big business and deserted by politicians.

Fuck Walmart!

[quote]Zeppelin795 wrote:

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:

Rob[/quote]

Walmart may have us with the collusion of the government but it doesn’t have to be that way. Germany is a prime example. the people need to get together and stand up for what is right and equitable. Unions used to play a big part in this but have been systematically attacked by big business and deserted by politicians.

Fuck Walmart![/quote]

please point me to what law/statute/amendment that says every job offered by any company must pay more than minimum wage. isnt that what minimum wage is- the ‘minimum wage’ a worker must be paid?

who in their fucking right mind tries to make a god damn living on minimum wage? if you do a job that a trained monkey or middle schooler could do, you have little negotiation power when it comes to wages.

sorry, but that is how life works. you have no redeeming quality or desirable skill, you take what you can get. want better? get better.

Well Well, All this talk about ‘‘Walmart’’ from some who seem to be looking at the World
through a pair of empty toilet paper rolls…look around for a moment '‘BeachGuy498’, and don’t give in so easy
when you say ‘they have us where they want us’…what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

If anyone has a open secret recipe as how to run a business in the worst economy, it’s fucking COSTCO,
no matter that they have liberal leaning philosophy, whatever they are doing has been WORKING and the numbers
bear it out without question.

Walk around a COSTCO and feel how positive their Employees are compared to if you walk around a Walmart.
Many Walmart employees look drained and not very happy, the Costco employees…practically the polar opposite.

So the Brilliant Karado, ME, Had to see WHY?..WHY WHY WHY?.

First of all, COSTCO Employees are not only happy, they don’t fucking LEAVE!!
WHY… WHY WHY WHY??

Fact is Most CEO’s in America have their heads so far up their ass they can’t see daylight…ever see the
show UNDERCOVER BOSS?
Well if you do…A PATTERN emerges, and that pattern is, at the end of the show, one the main things
the CEO’s always say, loosly paraphrasing is…‘DUH, BDUH, BDUH, I had no idea what was going on with the little people
in our company, DUH I had no idea, DUH!’

COSTCO just may save America, IF companies do what THEY do…read the following, let it sear in your brain
like a fucking Farmer branding his livestock because these people have a fucking clue how to treat employees
and GROW in a fucked up economy…and no, I don’t work for them…yet, and ‘Beachguy’, grow some fucking balls
and don’t give up so easy, I thought you east coast boys were tougher than that.

1. Employees have great perks. One 59-year-old worker who has been there for 26 years makes $52,700 a year, gets five weeks of vacation and has a nice 401k that Costco fills in with matching funds. About 88% of employees have health insurance from the company, and the medical plans offer great coverage.

“I just think people need to make a living wage with health benefits,” the company’s CEO, Craig Jelinek, told Stone. “It also puts more money back into the economy and creates a healthier country. It’s really that simple.”

1. Employees are paid well. Hourly workers make an average of $20.89 an hour. Compare that with Wal-Mart (WMT -0.34%), which pays an average of $12.67 an hour, Stone reports.

2. Sales keep soaring. They have grown by 39% since 2009, even while other retailers have struggled in the economic downturn.

3. Costco is extremely frugal. It’s generous with employees, but the executive offices in Washington have faded blue carpet, faux-wood tables and cheap art prints on the walls, Stone reports. The previous CEO made only $325,000 a year, though the current one makes more than twice as much. Still, other retail bosses make millions.

4. It doesn’t hire business school graduates. Instead, it promotes employees from below and even pays for workers to attend graduate school. As a result, 70% of its warehouse managers started at the bottom, Stone reports.

5. No one leaves. Certainly the low employee turnover says something is going right. The turnover rate is only 5% for employees who have been there for more than a year, Stone reports. Among executives, the rate falls to less than 1%.

6. The stock price is on fire, soaring nearly 40% over the past two years. For any employee holding stock or options, that share price run-up is one more reason to stay with the job.

[quote]Karado wrote:
Well Well, All this talk about ‘‘Walmart’’ from some who seem to be looking at the World
through a pair of empty toilet paper rolls…look around for a moment '‘BeachGuy498’, and don’t give in so easy
when you say ‘they have us where they want us’…what the fuck is that supposed to mean?

If anyone has a open secret recipe as how to run a business in the worst economy, it’s fucking COSTCO,
no matter that they have liberal leaning philosophy, whatever they are doing has been WORKING and the numbers

Walk around a COSTCO and feel how positive their Employees are compared to if you walk around a Walmart.
Many Walmart employees look drained and not very happy, the Costco employees…practically the polar opposite.

WHY… WHY WHY WHY??

Fact is Most CEO’s in America have their heads so far up their ass they can’t see daylight…ever see the
show UNDERCOVER BOSS?
Well if you do…A PATTERN emerges, and that pattern is, at the end of the show, one the main things
the CEO’s always say, loosly paraphrasing is…‘DUH, BDUH, BDUH, I had no idea what was going on with the little people

COSTCO just may save America, IF companies do what THEY do…read the following, let it sear in your brain
like a fucking Farmer branding his livestock because these people have a fucking clue how to treat employees
and GROW in a fucked up economy…and no, I don’t work for them…yet, and ‘Beachguy’, grow some fucking balls
and don’t give up so easy, I thought you east coast boys were tougher than that.

1. Employees have great perks. One 59-year-old worker who has been there for 26 years makes $52,700 a year, gets five weeks of vacation and has a nice 401k that Costco fills in with matching funds. About 88% of employees have health insurance from the company, and the medical plans offer great coverage.

“I just think people need to make a living wage with health benefits,” the company’s CEO, Craig Jelinek, told Stone. “It also puts more money back into the economy and creates a healthier country. It’s really that simple.”

1. Employees are paid well. Hourly workers make an average of $20.89 an hour. Compare that with Wal-Mart (WMT -0.34%), which pays an average of $12.67 an hour, Stone reports.

2. Sales keep soaring. They have grown by 39% since 2009, even while other retailers have struggled in the economic downturn.

3. Costco is extremely frugal. It’s generous with employees, but the executive offices in Washington have faded blue carpet, faux-wood tables and cheap art prints on the walls, Stone reports. The previous CEO made only $325,000 a year, though the current one makes more than twice as much. Still, other retail bosses make millions.

4. It doesn’t hire business school graduates. Instead, it promotes employees from below and even pays for workers to attend graduate school. As a result, 70% of its warehouse managers started at the bottom, Stone reports.

5. No one leaves. Certainly the low employee turnover says something is going right. The turnover rate is only 5% for employees who have been there for more than a year, Stone reports. Among executives, the rate falls to less than 1%.

6. The stock price is on fire, soaring nearly 40% over the past two years. For any employee holding stock or options, that share price run-up is one more reason to stay with the job.

[/quote]

So why don’t all those disgruntled Wal Mart workers go and work at COSTCO?

[quote]Karado wrote:

WHY… WHY WHY WHY??

show UNDERCOVER BOSS?

[/quote]

I love Costco, but might have to switch to Sam’s just because of location.

This is my only objection to what you wrote so work with me. Costco only has 3 locations in Houston, and Wal-Mart has a bunch more. If Costco had the same overhead that Wal-Mart has then their pay might come down, but with that said maybe not. Costco’s business model is very different from Wal-Mart/Sam’s. When you have to travel a bit of a distance you spend more money. Everytime I shop at Costco I leave there spending around $300. We do that once to twice a month. Wal-Mart being so close to home and work I can run in and grab just a few items and spend $20. Two very different business models.

I love the fact that Costco keeps their employees and treat them fairly. I enjoy seeing the same people working there all the time. You get to know them by name. They stay because they do not have the skills to go anywhere else without taking a pay cut. You save money as a business by not having to hire new people and train them. Wal-Mart is ok with training new people all the time, so they keep paying that cost, and Costco would rather pass those savings to the employees in their paycheck.

I hate my local Walmart so I shop at Target. Tell me free enterprise doesn’t work.

Sounds nice Karado.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Tell me free enterprise doesn’t work. [/quote]

truth

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I hate my local Walmart so I shop at Target. Tell me free enterprise doesn’t work. [/quote]

Every time I drive by a Target I say Targe (it’s French you know). And yes I know Target is a US based company and started here (Minnesota?)

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
I hate my local Walmart so I shop at Target. Tell me free enterprise doesn’t work. [/quote]

Every time I drive by a Target I say Targe (it’s French you know). And yes I know Target is a US based company and started here (Minnesota?)[/quote]

Hell if I know. What I do know is the store itself is 100x cleaner, employees nicer, and the overall class of the consumers is better.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Every time I drive by a Target I say Targe (it’s French you know). And yes I know Target is a US based company and started here (Minnesota?)[/quote]

Hell if I know. What I do know is the store itself is 100x cleaner, employees nicer, and the overall class of the consumers is better. [/quote]

It is the same way down here in Texas also.

I’m gonna take a wild guess and say some of you are proud of the participation ribbons you’ve received.

Walmart should go ahead and raise its wages.

Then one of two things will happen:
-it will pass those wage increases on to consumers
-it will decrease its profit margins and our taxes will go up or 401ks will not increase as fast

Obviously Walmart is a euphemism for a general raising of wages…

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Walmart should go ahead and raise its wages.

Then one of two things will happen:
-it will pass those wage increases on to consumers
-it will decrease its profit margins and our taxes will go up or 401ks will not increase as fast

Obviously Walmart is a euphemism for a general raising of wages…

[/quote]

I’m not sure exactly what you’re trying to say here.

Explain how reduced profit margins for Wal-Mart equates to higher taxes.

401k plans that increase in value less rapidly? For whom?

And I do not think that “euphemism” means what you think it means.