Living off Protein Shakes?

What would happen if you consumed nothing but protein shakes for 2 weeks? The purpose being to control cals intake and drop fat.

My mate is currently ‘living’ off protein shakes. He says he is going to consume nothing but these for 2 weeks!

Surely this cannot be healthy? He is convinces that they are still food and he has done it in the past and lost lots of weight.

Help me help this dude. I told him to stop messing around and eat properly but I don’t actually know what would happen if you ate nothing but protein shakes for 2weeks! I just assume it’s bad for you because

a) Why the hell would you not wanna eat food!

b) You need solid foods surely?

Is he gonna die? If so, I will tell him to leave me his Nintendo Wii in his will!

He’s only a young lad and it’s a shame to see him going down this route. He has also taken ‘other’ things in that past to encourage muscle growth!

I think your friend is on to something!

[quote]esk221 wrote:
I think your friend is on to something![/quote]

Explain!

Surely consuming nothing but protein shakes for two weeks is detrimental to his health?

People FAST for longer than two weeks. Do you really think that only 14 days having high protein liquid meals is going to destroy his body? It’s one thing to encourage your friends not to do something that you think is stupid, but when the best reasons you can come up with are:

A) Why wouldn’t you want food in your belly

and

B) You need solid foods, probably, maybe, I guess.

Maybe you should start thinking your reasoning over before accusing him of pure craziness.

Oh, and for shits and giggles, look up the Velocity Diet, which is highly touted on this site by one of the Authors here.

Wow. That’s messed up.

On the other hand, it seems kind of a popular thing to do these days.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/category.jsp?categoryID=84&pageNo=1&s=forumsSidebar

Let him do his thing. Laugh at him if he fails.

[quote]McSTE wrote:
esk221 wrote:

Explain!

Surely consuming nothing but protein shakes for two weeks is detrimental to his health?[/quote]

Sir, I couldn’t agree with your presumption more. You are, however, looking extremely stupid at this moment because this website actually contains an ENTIRE forum dedicated to the practice of consuming nothing by protein shakes for 28 days.

That is beside the point though because you are obviously not stupid, and I am happy to say that we think alike regarding this issue.

[quote]counterfeitsoda wrote:
People FAST for longer than two weeks. Do you really think that only 14 days having high protein liquid meals is going to destroy his body? It’s one thing to encourage your friends not to do something that you think is stupid, but when the best reasons you can come up with are:

A) Why wouldn’t you want food in your belly

and

B) You need solid foods, probably, maybe, I guess.

Maybe you should start thinking your reasoning over before accusing him of pure craziness.

Oh, and for shits and giggles, look up the Velocity Diet, which is highly touted on this site by one of the Authors here.[/quote]

To be honest, the reason I am posting is to gather more info from more knowledgeable people before accusing him any further!

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
McSTE wrote:
esk221 wrote:

Explain!

Surely consuming nothing but protein shakes for two weeks is detrimental to his health?

Sir, I couldn’t agree with your presumption more. You are, however, looking extremely stupid at this moment because this website actually contains an ENTIRE forum dedicated to the practice of consuming nothing by protein shakes for 28 days. That is beside the point though because you are obviously not stupid, and I am happy to say that we think alike regarding this issue.[/quote]

LOL,

I might not be stupid but I am naive! Just trying to gather knowledge though. Thanks for the replies guys.

[quote]McSTE wrote:
To be honest, the reason I am posting is to gather more info from more knowledgeable people before accusing him any further!
[/quote]

Alright, well he’ll probably have a decent amount of fat loss, little muscle loss, and will probably feel just fine after the two weeks are over.

It’s not the type of diet I’d use personally for cutting weight, I think there are better ways (hell, the velocity diet is even much better than simply don’t eat, and drink protein shakes), but it’s not going to be bad for him to go on a protein sparing fast for two weeks.

give him fish oil pills and tell him it protein so he would basicly be doing the Velocity Diet

SO MANY People are doing the V-diet and they all seem to become healthier by doing it! Some have even done a few rounds of the V-Diet so 14 days of protein shakes will NOT KILL HIM lol

Just leave the dude alone I know you think your looking out for him but hes probly trying to start a liftyle change and this is his way to get the ball rowling!

i’d say he should not cut green vegetables from his diet, considering they provide vitamins and fiber with basically no caloric effect after digestion. just my opinion though.

Just show him the velocity diet.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Just show him the Velocity Diet.[/quote]

Not only show him the diet, but post a picture of the author.

…Because that hasn’t been done yet in this thread. Nope.

[quote]Otep wrote:
Wow. That’s messed up.

On the other hand, it seems kind of a popular thing to do these days.

http://www.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/category.jsp?categoryID=84&pageNo=1&s=forumsSidebar

Let him do his thing. Laugh at him if he fails. [/quote]

Who is that guy?