Living In the Southern U.S.

[quote]DixiesFinest wrote:
Hmm…I am gonna stay out of this one, just going to add that yes, Common Courtesy is a rule here.[/quote]

Dixie you cant stay out when they are talking about the South.

Fact number 1: Assholes are everywhere.

Fact number 2: In the South there are generally accepted cultural actions like always saying “Yes sir” or “No ma’am”, holding doors for ladies etc etc that people tend to associate with politeness.

Fact number 3: In general individual transplants are welcomed anywhere but large numbers are always disliked. No one, anywhere, likes large numbers of outsiders moving in and disturbing the native cultures.

Fact number 4: Individual experience does not equal population traits. For example, I was born in and grew up in Birmingham, Alabama but the most hate filled bigots I ever met came from Boston. I’ve heard some pretty nasty stuff from New Yorkers too but that doesn’t mean those cities are awash in racism.

I do think that MOST southerners are more gregarious than MOST Northerners.

[quote]MAF14 wrote:
waits for black guy[/quote]

A myth.

You can spot the bigots in the South much more easily. They drive jacked-up pickups (with expensive wheels that clearly have never been off road) with klan shit all over them. And they are shunned by normal white people.

In fact, many studies show LESS prejudice and discrimination in the Southern USA.

Racism in the south is definitely blown out of proportion compared to the north, as Joe Good said. Of course there are racists through out the south but I agree, I’ve heard some pretty nasty stuff up north.

We get a bad rap for slavery even though it ended hundreds of years before anyone today was born.

I live in Pgh. I think people here are generally a pretty dour bunch, perhaps because of our weather. I find the Northeast fairly pretentious and reserved.

Charleston South Carolina has had the nicest people I have encountered throughout the US.

Plus, yall know how to eat.Biscuits and Gravy, real bbq, grits, fried green tomatoes, okra… i will gain 20+lbs when i move south. And correct me if I am wrong, but the attitude is not as hostile towards tobacco down there (for obvious reasons).

[quote]666Rich wrote:
I live in Pgh. I think people here are generally a pretty dour bunch, perhaps because of our weather. I find the Northeast fairly pretentious and reserved.

Charleston South Carolina has had the nicest people I have encountered throughout the US.

Plus, yall know how to eat.Biscuits and Gravy, real bbq, grits, fried green tomatoes, okra… i will gain 20+lbs when i move south. And correct me if I am wrong, but the attitude is not as hostile towards tobacco down there (for obvious reasons).[/quote]

My favorite parts of living in the Land of Cotton:

1. Biscuits (the crap that you make with Biscuit is barely edible after you’ve lived in the carolinas)
  2. The most obvious - the winters are non-existent
  3. Vitually no taxes ( thank God I have don’t have kids in school)
  4. Little or no requirement to recycle ( srsly I cud show up with a dead body at the dump and they wouldn’t even blink)

My most hated parts:

1. Forget about ethnicity. Say bye-bye to Little Italy and Chinatown. You are white, black or a landscaper.
  2. If you are Catholic, you might as well be from Mars
  3. Pizza? Ha! Get used to Papa Johns
  4. Nobody - and I mean nobody - looks good in searsucker.

[quote]twinexperience wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

Plus, yall know how to eat.Biscuits and Gravy, real bbq, grits, fried green tomatoes, okra… i will gain 20+lbs when i move south. And correct me if I am wrong, but the attitude is not as hostile towards tobacco down there (for obvious reasons).[/quote]

1. Biscuits (the crap that you make with Biscuit is barely edible after you’ve lived in the carolinas)
  4. Little or no requirement to recycle ( srsly I cud show up with a dead body at the dump and they wouldn’t even blink)

My most hated parts:

1. Forget about ethnicity. Say bye-bye to Little Italy and Chinatown. You are white, black or a landscaper.
    [/quote]
    searsucker suits are ridiculous for sure. Even the south has it’s own sub-cultures. This is a silly one.

For the grit fans, next time you eat them, mix in butter, shredded chedder cheese and hot sauce, specifically Tobasco or my fav, Sriracha (asian, but consists of chili’s, garlic and salt).

Best served with grilled or pan fried bone in pork chops. Dice the meat when cooked and mix it in for best results.

I am from the deep south orginally. Moved to flat, gray, cold Ohio a year ago and I don’t care for it at all. I say hello to people when I pass, I wave at cars I pass in my neighborhood whether I know them or not. This is NOT common practice here. I talk to the person in line at the grocery and they act as if I am going to follow them home.

Just weird. Then again… I have some Jersey/NY friends that I have met here that swear Ohio is the friendliest place they’ve ever lived. Guess it’s all your perspective.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

My most hated parts:

[/quote]
    searsucker suits are ridiculous for sure. Even the south has it’s own sub-cultures. This is a silly one.

For the grit fans, next time you eat them, mix in butter, shredded chedder cheese and hot sauce, specifically Tobasco or my fav, Sriracha (asian, but consists of chili’s, garlic and salt).

Best served with grilled or pan fried, bone in pork chops. Dice the meat when cooked and mix it in for best results.[/quote]

I love garlic cheese grits I make them in a saucepan rather than baking them so they’re a little soupy. So good.

HG - That grit combo sounds good too!

[quote]Catnip wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

My most hated parts:

[/quote]

Best served with grilled or pan fried, bone in pork chops. Dice the meat when cooked and mix it in for best results.[/quote]

I love garlic cheese grits I make them in a saucepan rather than baking them so they’re a little soupy. So good.

HG - That grit combo sounds good too! [/quote]
I never realized people baked them! Sounds like cornbread to me.

Crawfish cornbread, btw, is fucking magical. Google it, trust the cajuns even if the recipe sounds weird, just look for authentic cajun ingredients so you know it’s the real deal.

I’ve always done grits in a sauce pan and leave them slightly soupy too.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

My most hated parts:

[/quote]

Best served with grilled or pan fried bone in pork chops. Dice the meat when cooked and mix it in for best results.[/quote]

Shrimp and Grits? Holy Mother of God - best food eva!!

[quote]666Rich wrote:

My most hated parts:

[/quote]

I am a Roman Catholic in Mississippi and doing just fine, actually a pretty large community of Catholics here.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

Hmm…I am gonna stay out of this one, just going to add that yes, Common Courtesy is a rule here.[/quote]

Dixie you cant stay out when they are talking about the South.

[/quote]

I love my home, what can I say.

[quote]666Rich wrote:

My most hated parts:

[/quote]

I am a Roman Catholic in Mississippi and doing just fine, actually a pretty large community of Catholics here.

[/quote]

Obviously we all stand corrected. Thank you.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

My most hated parts:

[/quote]

Best served with grilled or pan fried bone in pork chops. Dice the meat when cooked and mix it in for best results.[/quote]

Shrimp and Grits? Holy Mother of God - best food eva!! [/quote]
Yes indeed. Grits are one of those amazing foods that absorb what ever flavor you cook in to them, shrimp too assuming they are fresh and not “shrimpy” smelling yet.

(Gulf Coast shrimp and seafood in general are the absolute best, unfortunately the “Atlantic” South misses out on much of the true “southern” deliciousness for this reason. I prefer Gulf Coast over Chesapeake, Baja, Atlantic et cetera and not for silly pride reasons.)

You can season to your hearts content and make the shrimp/grit dish taste basically however you want and with the varying textures there is sure to be a combo pleasing to any pallet.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Catnip wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

My most hated parts:

[/quote]

Crawfish cornbread, btw, is fucking magical. Google it, trust the cajuns even if the recipe sounds weird, just look for authentic cajun ingredients so you know it’s the real deal.

I’ve always done grits in a sauce pan and leave them slightly soupy too.[/quote]

There was a place in where I used to live that did a lightly fried triangle grit cake and serve it with a creamy Jalepeno infused sauce. It was very “cornbread-ish” but so fantastic. I wonder if it’s still there…

I have a mild allergy to shellfish so Crawfish are out for me but that sounds really good! I bet in Houston you get some AMAZING gulf shrimp. Wish I could eat those too!

Here are my impressions. I’ve seen a lot of the US. No real correlation, I found.

New York: Curt, rude, Type A, impersonal. Assholes abound.
Boston: Cooler then New York, but still a little cold. “Massholes” abound.
Chicago: Amazing
Salt Lake City: You’re not part of the club, we’re not talking to you.
Dallas/Houston: Exactly like Dynasty. Just kidding. Normal towns, I would say middle of the road between nice/rude.
Austin: Great town, amazing hospitable people. My 2nd favorite town in all America.
Vegas: No one in Vegas is from Vegas.
San Diego: Extremely chill. No rush. Good folks, girls are still calificial (superficial and from california). Probably my favorite town in USA.
LA: Traffic, rude, superficial, phony. Gross.
San Francisco: Pretentious f–ks. Good yuppy crowd though. People around CAL/Stanford seem much cooler.
Pittsburgh: No particular impression one way or another
Buffalo: Everyone asks themselves why they live in Buffalo
Providence: Ultimate snob town. How is Pauly D from here?
Miami: Let’s tan and party.
Orlando: This town has no particular flavor.
Cleveland: Been here six times. It could use a lucky break. Everyone looks sad.
Detroit: Fallen on HARD times, but people seem optimistic about the future.
Iowa in general: Amazing hospitable people.

Going to Baltimore in November to see my favorite team play my best bud’s favorite team on Thxgiving (I’m a 49ers fan, he’s a Ravens fan…). Will report back.

[quote]Catnip wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Catnip wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]666Rich wrote:

My most hated parts:

[/quote]

I’ve always done grits in a sauce pan and leave them slightly soupy too.[/quote]

There was a place in where I used to live that did a lightly fried triangle grit cake and serve it with a creamy Jalepeno infused sauce. It was very “cornbread-ish” but so fantastic. I wonder if it’s still there…

I have a mild allergy to shellfish so Crawfish are out for me but that sounds really good! I bet in Houston you get some AMAZING gulf shrimp. Wish I could eat those too! [/quote]
My place is about 45 minutes to the coast. On the weekends sometimes I go down to the fishermens wharfs and buy shrimp caught that day. Fish too, unless I’m planning my own trip. What isn’t bought commercially is sold to individuals by the pound or in bulk.

I don’t even freeze them and they aren’t marked up for retail. Win Win.

Of course I do buy shrimp from the grocery store too, probably farm raised in Asia but I make regular trips to the coast just for fresh seafood. I love sitting at a mom and pop place on the seawall with a plate of shrimp and oysters, lots of beer and watch the ocean roll in.

Reputable restaraunts in Houston have their gulf seafood trucked in fresh and unfrozen too. I do like the gulf species. Bigger, meatier, a “gulf flavor”, delicious.

And the cooking style is my fav too. Blackened, grilled, lots of flavor either way. I dig Baja style and even Chesapeake but they are both so bland in comparison.

[quote]Samir wrote:
Here are my impressions. I’ve seen a lot of the US. No real correlation, I found.

New York: Curt, rude, Type A, impersonal. Assholes abound.
Boston: Cooler then New York, but still a little cold. “Massholes” abound.
Chicago: Amazing
Salt Lake City: You’re not part of the club, we’re not talking to you.
Dallas/Houston: Exactly like Dynasty. Just kidding. Normal towns, I would say middle of the road between nice/rude.
Austin: Great town, amazing hospitable people. My 2nd favorite town in all America.
Vegas: No one in Vegas is from Vegas.
San Diego: Extremely chill. No rush. Good folks, girls are still calificial (superficial and from california). Probably my favorite town in USA.
LA: Traffic, rude, superficial, phony. Gross.
San Francisco: Pretentious f–ks. Good yuppy crowd though. People around CAL/Stanford seem much cooler.
Pittsburgh: No particular impression one way or another
Buffalo: Everyone asks themselves why they live in Buffalo
Providence: Ultimate snob town. How is Pauly D from here?
Miami: Let’s tan and party.
Orlando: This town has no particular flavor.
Cleveland: Been here six times. It could use a lucky break. Everyone looks sad.
Detroit: Fallen on HARD times, but people seem optimistic about the future.
Iowa in general: Amazing hospitable people.

Going to Baltimore in November to see my favorite team play my best bud’s favorite team on Thxgiving (I’m a 49ers fan, he’s a Ravens fan…). Will report back.
[/quote]
Baltimore is old, stinky and dirty. Rude people but they can take joke if you “give it back” in general.

I forget the name of the place, it’s in downtown, and serves excellent crab cakes. It’s upscale, has chairs that are ridiculously ginourmous behind the booths… kind of a modern interior. Maybe a local knows the spot, I recommend it if you can figure it out. Ha.

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
I keep hearing all of these comparisons of the North to the South and quite frankly, they’re true. In the time that I’ve spent on vacations in the south (Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Texas, and Alabama), I’ve noticed that the people in the South are way nicer than in the North. It seems like even if you’re a total stranger, you could have an hour long conversation with somebody even if you’re at a random gas station if you wanted to. I guess the whole “southern hospitality” thing is true. Anybody else notice this?

CS[/quote]

Really?
Maybe it’s just Atlanta, people pretty much keep to themselves around here. We went to Boston, and everybody there was super nice to us… I thought there was something wrong. I mean they were helpful to a fault. I couldn’t believe it. I heard the north was very abrasive but my experience was anything but…