Liver Tabs

Okay, so durring my quest to learn more about supplementing with BCAA’s, I came across another supplement, liver tabs.

Just wondering what other people’s oppinion on these is. If taking a multi-vitamin, BCAA’s and eating enough protein, is there still a benefit to taking these?

If not taking a multi, could these replace taking one?

It’s priced very cheap.

bump

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Okay, so durring my quest to learn more about supplementing with BCAA’s, I came across another supplement, liver tabs.

Just wondering what other people’s oppinion on these is. If taking a multi-vitamin, BCAA’s and eating enough protein, is there still a benefit to taking these?

If not taking a multi, could these replace taking one?

It’s priced very cheap.[/quote]

AA may pop in here as well, but I take them during really hard training cycles like now. I have also taken them while losing fat. They are a good source of aminos and Bs. They are not an effective source of protein because of the amount you would have to take.

It is much like any other supp. Some like them, some don’t. I know a couple of the authors here have said they aren’t useful at all, but I have taken them pretty consistently for some time.

-folly

[quote]folly wrote:

AA may pop in here as well, but I take them during really hard training cycles like now. I have also taken them while losing fat. They are a good source of aminos and Bs. They are not an effective source of protein because of the amount you would have to take.

It is much like any other supp. Some like them, some don’t. I know a couple of the authors here have said they aren’t useful at all, but I have taken them pretty consistently for some time.

-folly[/quote]

Yea, I saw that AA takes them when I did a search.

I guess I can justify taking them due to their low cost, even if it’s just for their vitamins and their amino acids other than the branched chain ones.

Anyone else?

Good or bad? Worthless or bargain?

I saw them mentioned in another post about a week ago, then I noticed that they’re pretty cheap at my grocery store. I think I’ll try them for a couple months, see if I notice anything at all.

Bargain, especially with the price of BCAAs in tablet form…

From another website:
"So what’s so good about liver? For starters, many have called liver the most perfect food. It’s rich in amino acids, vitamins, minerals, nucleic acids, lipotropics, antioxidants, cytochrome P450 (an enzyme involved in steroid production and detoxification), and other important nutrients. Liver has been used by bodybuilders and powerlifters for decades to increase strength, enhance appetites, reduce recovery times and fatigue, support liver function, and detoxify the body. It’s also an effective blood builder. Liver helps increase red blood cell count. Plus, it’s one of the best sources of heme iron.

Desiccated liver contain heme iron, one of the most bioavailable forms around. Synthetic or elemental iron can lead to overdosing. Overdosing is far less likely with natural iron. With non-heme iron, you might expect an absorption rate of 1-3%. With heme iron, you could expect 35% absorption or more. Liver tabs can also exert “hematinic activity” the ability of a substance to improve the quality of the blood, including the hemoglobin level and the number of erythrocytes. That’s why liver has been called a “blood builder”.

All this is important because blood is what delivers oxygen and nutrients to your working muscles. If you got a problem with iron and blood, it can all lead to to fatigue, decreased energy levels, and reduced physical performance. Studies have clearly shown that even slight iron-deficiency can lead to a reduced work capacity.

Liver also contains nucleic acids. For years, people thought the body could make enough nucleic acids via de novo nucleotide synthetic pathways. Under certain circumstances, this ain’t the case. There are times when the body needs more: when the body is undergoing rapid growth, limited food supply, and metabolic stress."

Oh, and remember in Dances with Wolves, when the hunter who killed the buffalo got to eat the liver?

There’s even said to be an anti-estrogen component and a growth factor in liver. And I’d brought the idea of taking liver tabs into the “Copper deficiency” thread, as liver is the number 2 source of copper, according to NutritionData.com, behind oysters.

Copper deficiency could result from overdoing it with zinc, as we may be guilty of with ZMA. Though, in fact, liver tabs are also a good source of zinc, though one which cannot be overdosed upon as it is bound in food rather than free mineral.

Liver is like the “jack of all trades, master of none”, like protein, BCAAs, ZMA and an anti-estrogen all rolled into one. But while it’s less than all those, it’s more than them all as well. Liver is liver. And liver has been the he-man food for decades if not millenia. Go for it.

The supps available today are even from grass-fed beef. So inexpensive too.

The worst that can happen are the farts…

One thing I would actually caution on is the high iron content. Not great for us men and meat eaters. It can be very bad rasie hemocrit get stored and leech out for years to come. I know a buddy who now is having to get drained near a gallon every two weeks from supplemental iron he took when they told runners it was the best thing since sliced bread. his iron levels are 500 times that of normal and dont fall.

Id just caution on it do your research. Give blood often or loose a lot of fights in which you bleed a lot. LOL

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
One thing I would actually caution on is the high iron content. Not great for us men and meat eaters. It can be very bad rasie hemocrit get stored and leech out for years to come. I know a buddy who now is having to get drained near a gallon every two weeks from supplemental iron he took when they told runners it was the best thing since sliced bread. his iron levels are 500 times that of normal and dont fall.

Id just caution on it do your research. Give blood often or loose a lot of fights in which you bleed a lot. LOL

Phill[/quote]

Again, though, I think the problem is not too much iron per se, but rather too much iron in relation to other minerals such as copper. Nature seems to have a way of balancing the nutrients it provides to us in natural foods. When you take supplemental or synthetic minerals/viitamins you have to exercise extreme caution. I think less caution is needed when it comes to natural foods. I think it would be tough to “overdose” on liver. Supplemental iron, yes. Liver or liver tabs, no.

[quote]eic wrote:
When you take supplemental or synthetic minerals/viitamins you have to exercise extreme caution. I think less caution is needed when it comes to natural foods. I think it would be tough to “overdose” on liver. Supplemental iron, yes. Liver or liver tabs, no.[/quote]

Exactly

[quote]eic wrote: I think it would be tough to “overdose” on liver. Supplemental iron, yes. Liver or liver tabs, no.

[/quote]

That’s as silly as claiming that it would be tough to get too much iron by eating red meat.

Men can, and often do, build toxic levels of iron in their bodies from high red meat consumption. Supplementing with liver will only make things worse if you’re not donating blood or losing it by some other manner.

[quote]Kailash wrote:
The worst that can happen are the farts…[/quote]

This is very true!

I’ve used them in the past and I felt they worked, it tough to explain how but training and recovery just seemed to be better.

Give it a shot.

So, as far as the amino acid profile that this supplement boasts, is that just part of the whole proteins in the liver, or are they already broken down into amino acids?

If it’s just part of the whole protein, wouldn’t that be like saying beef has X amount of all of the different amino acids, then freezing and drying it into capsules and selling it as an amino acid supplement?

If the amino acids are seperate from the whole protein, then you’re getting about 3 times as many BCAA’s as other BCAA supplements, at a fraction of the cost.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
So, as far as the amino acid profile that this supplement boasts, is that just part of the whole proteins in the liver, or are they already broken down into amino acids?

If it’s just part of the whole protein, wouldn’t that be like saying beef has X amount of all of the different amino acids, then freezing and drying it into capsules and selling it as an amino acid supplement?

If the amino acids are seperate from the whole protein, then you’re getting about 3 times as many BCAA’s as other BCAA supplements, at a fraction of the cost.[/quote]

bump

I have some in my supplement cabinet, they were suggested by another company when I had a “personalized diet” profile done. Wondering if maybe I should break them out and take them…

I just did some math with the servings of liver tabs that it would take to equal the amino acid profile on the supplement’s very own container.

The serving size is 2 tabs, which equals 60 grain. I converted that to 3.6 Grams.

The amino acid profile on the label says “per 100 grams”. So, it would take around 27-28 pills to equal what’s on the label for the amino acid profile, which is about 9 Biotest BCAA pills.

Does this look correct to anyone else? It would take a butt-ton of those horse pills to get the same amino acid profile (for BCAA’s anyway, I understand there’s more in them than just BCAA’s) as the BCAA supplement.

When I first looked at it, I was thinking 2 Liver tabs was equal to the amino acid profile that’s on it’s label. I guess I needed to look at the fine print.

I take them when I am cutting…

Okay, I’ll try this one more time. I posted this question on another highly respected forum, but still couldn’t get an answer.

Here was my question:

"SWR-1240 wrote:

If the amino acids are seperate from the whole protein, then you’re getting about 3 times as many BCAA’s as other BCAA supplements, at a fraction of the cost."

is there anyone out there that can answer this? Ive been looking into liver tabs recently

Same with littlebilly

further, does anyone know how much iron is ‘too much’ including from redmeat as well as a multi, liver, etc. I’ve been eating a shitload of red meat recently.