Liver Health

For those of you that care about such things, I’m curious what you folks do for liver health.

Milk Thistle

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Milk Thistle[/quote]

What’s that do?

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Milk Thistle[/quote]

What’s that do?[/quote]

My wife’s naturopath prescribed it. She said it’s a powerful detox agent.
Supposedly it helps repair the liver from damage due to toxins. Anyone consuming alcohol regularly should probably take Milk Thistle.

Well, I don’t drink often but I take Vit C, B complex (B12 in particular, I think), AC Vinegar w/ the mother, ALA decaf coffee and green tea every day which are supposed to help the liver.

I’ve seen JM talk about ALA, NAC and Liv52 in particular in regards to liver health.

I’ve used Milk Thistle and also LIV 52, may be called LiverCare now. Both help detox and repair.

“A healthy liver burns more body fat!”

Good article here on a cranberry juice protocol to optimize fat burning by having a healthy liver. I tried it for four weeks this spring. Hard to say that I noticed a huge change as I’m substantially lean and in more of a maintenance tract, but it’s good peace of mind to take care of the innards that do the good work for us.

[quote]chkeeley wrote:
“A healthy liver burns more body fat!”

Good article here on a cranberry juice protocol to optimize fat burning by having a healthy liver. I tried it for four weeks this spring. Hard to say that I noticed a huge change as I’m substantially lean and in more of a maintenance tract, but it’s good peace of mind to take care of the innards that do the good work for us.

[/quote]

Good article- thanks! I’m starting to really dig JM’s stuff

x2 on milk thistle if you drink or are putting your liver under “supplemental” stress

[quote]HARA wrote:
x2 on milk thistle if you drink or are putting your liver under “supplemental” stress[/quote]

Agree with this, my dad had hep c and heavy scirosis of his liver. Milk thistle helped until they

could whip it out and put a new one in!

Lots of onions and sulphury vrg

Limit fructose as much as pos

Thanks for the replies.

A few things I’m finding about milk thistle seem to suggest the jury is still out:

Here’s one.

Anyone anecdotally have bloodwork that has before/after milk thistle liver panels?

not drink more than once a week

Lemon Juice - sprinkle it to my greens

I’m seeing a lot of references to dandilion for liver cleansing as well.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
Lemon Juice - sprinkle it to my greens[/quote]

Heard this somewhere but supposedly you need fresh squeezed lemon juice in warm/hot water to fully “activate” the good… stuff.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
I’m seeing a lot of references to dandilion for liver cleansing as well.

[/quote]

Lime juice in warm water (tastes better than lemon imo), milk thistle, apple cider vinegar, Saurkraut (homemade), lecithin (eggs or in supplement form) and you mentioned dandelion, the leaves of which you can eat in salads or just buy it in supplement form, garlic n onions, tumeric.

I like the idea of whole real foods so I try to incorporate as much of these as I can esp. garlic much to my wife’s annoyance lol

milk thistle, ALA, curcumin… note I take the latter 2 for other reasons, nice to know they also help the liver

jury still out on milk thistle? From all my research in the human and vet (dog) world, it’s highly recommended.

even those that run AAS (pills) take milk thistle.