Lived to Fight Another Day

Sounds like a solid plan. Peaking on a linear program is probably the most predictable that I’ve found. Just have to find a program where you’re eager to train.

When making mistakes, I found that it’s best to write them down so I don’t forget. I’ll also write down a few main things to focus on each year and I see these notes probably every week. As a result, I’ve cut down on doing dumb things but not all, haha. At least it’s an improvement.

[quote]lift206 wrote:
Sounds like a solid plan. Peaking on a linear program is probably the most predictable that I’ve found. Just have to find a program where you’re eager to train.

When making mistakes, I found that it’s best to write them down so I don’t forget. I’ll also write down a few main things to focus on each year and I see these notes probably every week. As a result, I’ve cut down on doing dumb things but not all, haha. At least it’s an improvement.[/quote]

Haha always bringing the fire advice. That is something I wish I got sooner then yesterday; I always feel so stuck in lifting but it’s my own fault because I learn some seriously valuable insight on what works and what doesn’t for me; whats good and bad; but I never write it down and completely forget it!

Linear perodization is definitely what fits me; there may be other and potentially more effective programming out there; but if I can’t write down a tangible cycle plan or alternate exercises without understanding how it will work I doubt the plan and it loses all effectiveness for me because my mind starts to wonder off!

On a more personal note…

I don’t usually post things like this because I hate it when other people do lol so lift206 or anyone else who reads my log; feel free to skip it.

I hate sappy people and the way things get thrown around but… in complete honest and I have do not have an easy time saying this. I think I may have found “the one.”

[quote]kjmont wrote:
On a more personal note…

I don’t usually post things like this because I hate it when other people do lol so lift206 or anyone else who reads my log; feel free to skip it.

I hate sappy people and the way things get thrown around but… in complete honest and I have do not have an easy time saying this. I think I may have found “the one.”[/quote]

Man, that’s awesome! I hope everything turns out well.

[quote]lift206 wrote:

[quote]kjmont wrote:
On a more personal note…

I hate sappy people and the way things get thrown around but… in complete honest and I have do not have an easy time saying this. I think I may have found “the one.”[/quote]

Man, that’s awesome! I hope everything turns out well.[/quote]

Thanks! We are actually dating now! No one makes me laugh like she does lol

School work and the girl has kept me busy so I haven’t been able to update the log on time. Still be hitting it hard but I didn’t get every day in this week that I wanted to. Nothing to do with either of those things; just was a little too beat up for arms and too drained to hit the 2nd leg day as scheduled.

The Joker - Week 1/Day 4 - Saturday

Secondary Leg Day

Legs - 9 sets

A. Leg Extensions
Set 1: 50 x 20 reps with toes curled back (2 sec squeeze at top)
Set 2: 55 x 20 reps with toes curled back (1 sec squeeze at top)
Set 3: 60 x 20 reps with toes curled back (no squeeze, but brief contraction at top)
Sets 4, 5, & 6: 65 x 20 with toes pointed down (just pumping them out)

B. Front Squats
45 x 8
95 x 12
115 x 12
135 x 12

“Easy” and done.

The Joker - Week 2/Day 1 - Monday

Legs - 18 sets

A. Banded Leg Curls
Worked up to a weight that was hard for 8 and did:
5 sets of 8 w. 50 + single red band

B1. Leg Extensions (Toes pointing in toward eachother, brief contraction at top) - 3 x 30 with 50 lbs
B2. DB Leg Curl Isotension - 30 lb DB x 45 sec, 25 lb BD x 60 sec

C. Front Squat & Back Squat Combo/Superet (no knee sleeves)
95 x 8/8
120 x 8/8
145 x 8/8 (added belt)

D. Frog Stance 1.5 Hack Squats
unloaded Machine x 8
2, 25 PPS x 8

Machine was a little sketchy and my legs were already shaking anyway so I shut it down and didn’t risk the injury

E. Barbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts (used no bigger then 35 lb plates)
Good stretch, came up and flexed the glutes hard)
145 x 10, 8, 10

The Joker - Week 2/Day 2 - Tuesday

Chest - 13 sets/Shoulders - 12 sets

A. Nautilus Incline Press
Good stretch, flex at top
30 x 10
50 x 10
65 x 10
80 x 10
95 x 10

B. Incline Smith Press
Lowest setting on bench, 25 lb plate under foot of bench
Stopping 2" above chest, driving to 3/4 lockout
95 x 8
110 x 8
125 x 8
140 x 8
150 x 8
Dropset: 165 x 8/ 115 x 8/ 95 x 8

C. Bench Press
Strict pause on every rep, no lockout. Stopped when last set could only get 8-9 reps on it before failing
115 x 6
130 x 6
145 x 6
160 x 6

D. Incline DB Flies
Lowest setting on bench. 3 sets of 10 with 6 bottom partials tacked on at the end of each set. Good stretch, good flex except for last set where I just pumped them out.
20’s x 10 6, 10 6, 8 6

E1. Lateral Raises
Done super strict.
15’s x 10, 10
10’s x 10, 10

E2. Seated DB Press
Also super strict, some sets with hard flexes; last 2 just constant tension
35’s x 8, 8, 7, 8

F. Band Pull aparts
First 15 reps on each set with hard flexes, last 15 pumping.
Red band x 30, 30, 30

The Joker - Week 2/Day 3 - Wednesday

Back - 17 sets

A. Dumbbell Rows
Just normal DB Rows.
25 x 10
35 x 10
45 x 10
55 x 10
65 x 10

B. Gironda Sternum Chin ups
Focused on mimicking the facing away pulldown by keeping my chest up and driving my elbows straight down and flexing the lats.
Bw x 8
Reverse Doubled Red bands x 8
Single Reverse Red band with band anchored to food x 8 paused, 7 pumping

C. Meadows Pullovers
55 x 12, 7
45 x 12

D. One-Arm Barbell Rows - 1, 25 lb plate x 8, 8, 8, 8

E. Band Goodmornings - Green Band x 40

The Joker - Week 2/Day 4 - Friday

Secondary Leg Day

A. Leg Extensions
55 x 20 (2 sec flex)
60 x 20 (1 sec flex)
65 x 20 (brief flex)
70 x 20, 20 (pumping)

B. Front Squats
85 x 12
115 x 12
145 x 10

C. Concentric Squats, Deadlift Stance (From height that mimics my deficit dead)
120 x 5
150 x 4
170 x 5

The Joker - Week 2/Day 5 - Saturday

A. DL Stance Concentric Only Squats
70 x 5
110 x 5
140 x 5
170 x 3-2 (rested 10 seconds between)

140 x 3
170 x 3
180 x 1-1 (15 seconds between)

150 x 2
180 x 1 (Griiiinndddeer)

Back to my old style of building strength by doing strength work the day after a leg day. Had accessory movements to do but ran out of time. This fried out my lower back, abs, and legs anyway.

The Joker - Week 3/Day 1 - Tuesday

Legs - 11 sets (was supposed to be 17)

A. Standing Leg Curls
10 x 12 (warm up)
25 x 15 (3 sec negative)
30 x 12 (3 sec negative)
35 x 8 (3 sec negative)
35 x 8 (normal reps)

-All sets were supposed to done with a 3 second negative, however, after barely getting 8 reps instead of 10 on the 3rd set I opted to stick with that weight and just pump out another 8 reps to make sure I at least hit the right rep target on the fourth set. 4 total work sets

B. SSB Chain Squats
3 second negative on every rep excluding the warm up. All sets were done for speed.
70 x 12 (warm up)
90 x 10 (warm up)
110 x 6 (3 sec negative)
120 x 6 (3 sec negative) [Added Belt]
This was the weight where I felt the “switch” turn on and was the perfect weight for acceleration out of the hole. Now it was time to start adding chains.
120 + 1 chain per side x 6 (3 second negative)
120 + 2 chains per side x 7 (3 second negative) [speed dropped so it was challenge set time - I tried to push further but 7 was all I had. It was a grind. It wasn’t too slow but pushing for an 8th would’ve made my form deteriorate way too much)

3 of the work sets felt hard; so 3 total work sets.

C. Leg Press
Weight in plates is what is listed. I used constant tension reps; just pumping them out with no lockout. I worked up to a hard set of 20 straight reps and then the work sets began. The goal was high intensity sets where I did as many constant tension reps as I could; then paused at the top for a few seconds, pumped out a few more, paused, ect.; until I got the total reps desired.
90 x 20
180 x 20
270 x 20
320 x 15 + 5
360 x 10 + 5 + 4 + 1
410 x 8 + 4 + 4 (all I had)

Since 4 work sets felt hard; counted it as 4 work sets instead of 3.

Since the leg press I use at my home has no unrack feature; every first rep has to be done from a dead stop. So if I didn’t have to do this I think I would’ve been able to get 20 on that last set but I will not make excuse; it wasn’t meant to be.

After this I was completely fried out. it was 2:30 AM and had absolutely nothing left in the tank to get the rest the work done. Called it a night and will make it up tomorrow. Even though everything didn’t get accomplished; it felt more then enough to cause some serious growth. Also I can’t be too upset since I went from 320 to 360 with the same rep range on leg press in 2 weeks. Also my legs are already noticeably different looking. I’m feeling satisfied at the moment.

For my own note; I was also supposed to do:

3 sets of 10 on smith lunges or DB step ups
3 sets to failure with band goodmornings.

The Joker - Week 3/Day 2 - Wednesday

Back - 18 sets

A. Meadows Rows
bar x 8 (warm up)
1, 25 lb plate x 8 (warm up)
2, 25 lb plates x 8, 8, 8
2, 25 lb plates x 19 (challenge set)

B. One- Armed Barbell Suitcase rows
Staggered my stance in the opposite ways normal 1-arm barbell rows are done with my leading foot closest to the bar. Let my elbow travel behind my body to crush the lower lats.
1, 25 lb plate x 10 (too heavy, form and contraction went to shit)
1, 10 lb plate x 10, 10, 10 (much better)

C. Chain Deadlifts
135 x 3 (warm up)
175 x 3 (added straps)
175 1 chain per side x 3
175 2 chains per side x 3
175 2 chains per side x 9 (added belt) [Challenge set]

Had a little more in me, but I am doing these for 6 weeks. I was tired because it was 1 am and any more pushing felt like it might make my form go to shit.

D. Plate Rows with shrugs
Elbows kept up to hit rhomboids and lower traps. Every rep was done from a deadstop. Banged out 8 perfect reps then stood up and did 10 shrugs with pauses at both the top and bottom.
3 x 8 10 w. 25 lb plates

E. Band goodmornings
Green band x 20
Green band red band x 20
Green band blue band x 14

Didn’t make up the extra work, just decided to move the back day to directly after leg day to have a double stimulation affect on the hams and glutes that were previous neglected the day before.

The Joker - Week 3/Day 3 - Friday

Chest - 10 sets/Shoulders - 3 sets

A. Bench Press
45 x 10
95 x 5
135 x 3
175 x 1
200 x 8
200 x 4 (paused)
200 x 2 (5 second pause each)

Went off reservation here and decided to see where I was at. Was pretty happy with this. None of the sets had any real grind in them.

B. Mechanical Drop set
DB Flyes - 25’s x 8 (slow descent, hard flex)
DB Twist Press - 25’s x 6
DB Press - 25’s x 8 (Just pumping out)

Goal - To make up for exercise A and activate and pump the pecs.

C. Slight Incline Bench (3 mats under head of bench)
95 x 6
135 x 6
185 x 1 (pec was just not feeling well or up to it, shut it down)

Goal - Train explosively

D1. Slight Decline DB Press (3 mats under foot of bench)
Got a good stretch, drive up to 3/4 lockout.
65’s x 10
65’s x 10
65’s x 10

D2. Band Pull aparts - Red band x 35, 30, 20

Stopped here, I was burnt and tired. The splitting of the session will make it easier to recover and gain weight anyway.

The Joker - Week 3/Day 4 - Sunday

Did this workout a day late and I am sure glad I did. Manged to be a little heavier today and I feel it really helped

Test Day 1

Warm Up:
ShouldeRok swings - 3 x 10
Goblet Squats - 2 x 8
Hip Side to sides x 10, 8
Bulgarian Split Squats - bw x 10, 8
Hip Airplanes - 2 x 3

A. Squats
45 x 6
95 x 3
135 x 1 (added knee sleeves)
175 x 1
205 x 1 (added belt)
240 x 1
270 x 1
280 x 2

Things felt awkward at first I am not going to lie, the first few reps with the bar I was falling backwards because I have been using a specialty bar for so long. It felt like things were moving slow at first and I did not feel mentally into it. However, somewhere around 200 things just click and everything started moving great! On the RPE scale the 280 x 2 felt like an 8-9 out of 10.

Could’ve definitely gotten 3, made even a 4th rep. But just because I could’ve doesn’t mean I should’ve… everything felt unstable and wasn’t exactly locking in the way it should, hips shot up a lot more on the 2nd rep, lost tension on pushing out, wasn’t staying braced properly, wasn’t pulling down on the bar and activating the lats, and so on. I didn’t round over but it wasn’t going the way I would like it to so I shut it down. I was already more then satisfied with how I did and I have a decent on what numbers to use so I can rest easy tonight.

Definitely need some more mobility work because it was making hitting dept a lot more challenging than back in May. Just know what I need to work on now.

Not too shabby for not going above 180 since I’ve been back lol

The Joker - Week 4/Day 1 - Wednesday

Ramping up volume and frequency

Didn’t have any time for a warm up so I just did a few sets of mace swings and goblet squats. That was a big mistake to skip it…

Legs - 6 sets

A.Buffalo Bar Squats with bands
100-120 lbs in band tension, bands added right out the gate
45 x 2
95 x 2
120 x 2, 2, 2
150 x 2
180 x 2
200 x 2

And that’s it. Its all I had time for and boy did it feel like shit. Because I skipped my warm up my shoulders were tight and my left rotator cuff was hurting, my glutes weren’t firing, I had a more difficult time staying tight, hitting depth, bracing, and everything else. On top of that I was walking the bar out to far and the bands kept pulling me forward and screwing up my technique. I will repeat this today and hit all the exercises I need to in the morning, then come back for my chest and shoulders workout later in the day.

The Joker - Week 4/Day 1 (Repeat) -Thursday

Legs - 10 sets

Warm up
Hip Side to side - 1 x 15
Bulgarian Split Squats - 2 x 10/leg
Hip Air Planes - 1 x 10/leg

1. Hybrid SSB Squats with bands
    -Double red bands, Approximately 65 in bands
    70 65 x 2
    120 65 x 2
    160 65 x 2
    190 65 x 2
    210 65 x 2 (Second rep got a little sloppy, wasn’t as tight but still pretty decent)
    220 65 x 1, 1 (first set was solid, second set was a grind)

2. Leg Extensions - 4 x 10 w. 75 in plates. Just kicking the weight up hard, brief flex

3. Hybrid SSB 3-5 second Pause Squats with bands

• Choked Red Bands, Probably somewhere around 30-40 in bands
  • In oly shoes, heels elevated even more by standing on 1 mat, Close Stance
  • No belt or knee sleeves
    70 x 5 (5 second pause)
    70 bands x 5 (5 second pause)
    100 bands x 5 (5 second pause)
    130 bands x 5 (3 second pause)
    150 bands x 3 (3 second pause)
    170 bands x 2 (3 second pause)

Done. Strong workout and learn a few things. Even with my proper warm up and activation work, my glutes still aren’t firing the way they should. Definitely going to target this over the frequency period in the following weeks.

The Joker - Week 4/Day 2 - Friday

Chest -10 sets/Shoulders - 12 sets

1. Flat dumbbell press
    Worked up to 60’s and used a the grip and elbow positioning I would usually use on bench.Paused 1 second at the bottom, fired up hard and flex 90% of the reps. Goal was 3 sets of 15 with a hard weight, some rep drop off was acceptable.
    60’s x 15, 14, 12

2. Incline Bench
    Normal incline. Sets of 6 until you lost speed. No touch and no lockout
    95 x 6
    115 x 6
    135 x 6
    155 x 6 (grinded and locked out the last 3 reps I think)

3. Decline smith press
    flat bench elevated by 1, 25 lb plate under the feet. Was supposed to find a hard weight for 10 and do 3 sets with it, then a drop set. Still getting used to smith work so I picked the wrong weight. I did:
    As if on 45 lb bar (weight in plates)
    175 (130 lbs) x 10, 8
    155 (110 lbs) x 9
    135 (90 lbs) x 8/ 115 (70 lbs) x 8/ 85 (40 lbs) x 8

4. Cable flies
    Good stretch, hard flex for 1 second. 10 partials pumped out at the end.
    13 lb plate per arm x 15 + 10 partials

5. Lateral Raises
    Heavy weight, 30 second rest periods. Used straps and raised to ear level.
    10 x 12
    20’s x 8, 8, 8

6. Cage Press
    Pins at mouth level
    45 x 5
    75 x 5
    65 x 5
    55 x 5, 5

7. Bent Over Cable Rear Delt Raises - 5 lbs per arm x 22 + 18 partials, 20 + 15 partials

These workout felt amazing! God I love this style for upper body.

The Joker - Week 4/Day 3 - Sunday

Legs - 13 sets

Focusing on Glutes and the Vastus Lateralis

1. Glute Kickbacks on Leg Curl machine
    25 lb plate x 8
    35 lb plate x 8 (5 sec iso hold at the top)
    35 lb plate x 8 (10 sec iso hold at the top)
    35 lb plate x 8 (15 sec iso hold at the top)
    35 lb plate x 8 (20 sec iso hold at the top)

4 total work sets

Goal - Activate and pump the glutes

1. Duck Stance Leg Press (Focusing on Vastus Lateralis)
    -Used a controlled tempo, constant tension
    1PPS x 20
    2PPS x 20
    3PPS x 20

Counted as 3 total work sets

Goal - Activate and Pump the Quads, Specifically the Vastus Lateralis

1. Hybrid SSB with KB Squats
    See video Used the Meadows KB Squat technique. Lowered slowly trying to feel it digging into my Vastus Lateralis. I started to come up slowly, but then accelerated through the rep and flexed my outer thighs and glutes the best I could. Did sets of 6 until I couldn’t maintain the technique and accelerate at the midpoint to lockout. 3 total work sets

70 x 6
70 with 25 lb KB x 6
90 with 35 lb KB x 6
110 with 35 lb KB x 4

• video shows the 90 lb with 35 lb set

Goal - Train explosively and supramax pump

1. Meadows KB Squats - 3 sets of 10 with 35 lb KB. 3 total work sets

Goal - Supramax pump in glutes and Vastus Lateralis

Done. Had some band goodmornings I had planned to do but I ran out of time, not complaining though. This was an awesome workout. Felt great, hit muscles I never focused on before, and dug the exercises.

So two updates…

1. I am going to try and post all my weekly workouts into one post. I don’t know if I can actually fit a week’s worth of training into one post, if I cannot I will cram it into as few posts as possible because it will be easier for me to see when one week ends, and the next begins. I am not sure if this means I will only be updating weekly or just edit the post each day, we will see. Doing this will also allow me to, with ease, look back and see what I did each week, when a phase ends, when a new one begins, and so on. My other reason brings me to update 2.

2. I am starting and will be posting a weekly video recap of the important stuff in my training because I am a lazy person and don’t necessarily always write down all the important notes on my training each day. It will also include the random hybrid/ghetto exercises I do so it won’t be as much of a guessing game for me or the people who view this log.