T Nation

Little to No Soreness After a Workout

hi everyone.

i started lifting weights again for the past 5 months after not going to gym for the past 7 years. At first i got so sore that i had to wait 3-4 days between lifting sessions. (I do full body lift sessions.) At one point i got so sore after a workout that i couldn’t lift for a week straight after. So i did some research online and found a basic supplement stack to use. I use gnc pro performance amplified n.o. loaded before workout, and then gnc pro performance ampliefied wheybolic extreme 60 after workout.

since i have been on this supplement stack i feel very little to no soreness yet still making gains in my lifting. as i understand it, you’re supposed to feel sore the next day after a hard lift session. am i doing something wrong like not lifting heavy enough weights or is it that the supplements that i am taking working really well for me?

experiment. Try not taking the supplement for a week. See how you feel. Or try upping your weights for the week. At the end of the day it does not really matter as long as you are making gains on your lifts.

go and market your shit supps elsewhere.

Do any of those supplements have unicorn tears in them? That shit works wonders for DOMS.

i’m not trying to market supplements at all dule and laujik. sorry if it sounds like i am. i’m new to this so forgive my newbness.

thanks for the serious response phishfood. i will try upping my weights this week and then going off the supplements next week if i feel no difference this week.

I looked it up, and as far as I can tell, it’s just whey…

As far as I can say, stay away from full body sessions.

i’m not sure what that is that you’re taking, but definitely it is working well for you. if you want to read some discussion on delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS):

there are a couple of good articles and studies there that you can read and some okay discussion.

now that you are not as sore, are you able to lift more often? are you able to perform better and with more intensity when you do lift? what’s the problem then? if you’re training right, you will get some degree of DOMS (depending on your body). when you can through good nutrition and rest increase your productivity, why not do it? i find a lot of people experience more DOMS than they need to because of their bad nutrition and lack of protein consumption.

[quote]tyrant fazz wrote:
now that you are not as sore, are you able to lift more often? are you able to perform better and with more intensity when you do lift? what’s the problem then? if you’re training right, you will get some degree of DOMS (depending on your body). when you can through good nutrition and rest increase your productivity, why not do it? i find a lot of people experience more DOMS than they need to because of their bad nutrition and lack of protein consumption.[/quote]

Yes, the more important question is are you getting stronger and gaining muscle?

If so, why are you worried about soreness? There are plenty of things that will make you sore, yet won’t do a thing to make you stronger or bigger.

Why would you want soreness if you making gains???surely making gains with out feeling like a retard is a good thing?
Probably just coincidence though as I have never taken a supplement that “prevents” soreness that actually works,to the point I cant feel any.

Soreness itself does not lead to gains. Maybe you need to up the intensity or change your routine round a bit. I find when I change my routine, split or change rep ranges my DOMS increases for a few weeks till i adapt to the new routine. If you are making gains though you have nothing to worry about.

Since when did people workout to feel sore? Also gaining on your lifts isn’t always going to make you bigger.

If your not gaining size your doing something wrong, end of.

Really and truthfully progression and diet are the key rules to progress not soreness. So yeah gaining on lifts is a good way to look at progression so if your doing that then great. Also look in to adding more sets, I’ve done this with great success recently and feel sore in places I’ve never felt sore before but this isn’t why I feel I’ve improved.

Also if your taking anabolic stacks and stuff I feel sorry for you.

theres nothing wrong with doing full body, however, if anyone wants to debate this dead horse, read:

Other than that, increase your loads and/or reps or switch to splits.