Little Inspirational Photo

I took this at the Men’s Master’s nationals in May. Yeah, I know a bunch of guys, but let me tell you that the youngest of the group in this photo is 66 yrs old and one of them is 85 – can you guess which one is which?

I will venture a guess that the youngest is back row, second from the left with a black shirt, and the oldest is seated front row, center, with the wacky knee sleeves.

[quote]Yo Momma wrote:
I will venture a guess that the youngest is back row, second from the left with a black shirt, and the oldest is seated front row, center, with the wacky knee sleeves.[/quote]

Well, they are knee wraps and yes that is Fred, he had just turned 85 two weeks before the meet. The guy sitting to his left is 66, and the one in the back well he is younger the guy to the left is also in his late 50’s. Not a bad looking group of seniors, tho. Fred totaled 420 kg/ 160kg squat(352lbs)/ 85 kg bench(187 lbs) and 175 kg dead(385 ls). I hope to still be that strong at 85.

That’s really inspirational for any age, but exceptional for 85!

I love old powerlifters. I was in a sorority in college, and one of the alums is 89 and powerlifts - she’s awesome. Something like 100 lbs with a 100 lb deadlift. :slight_smile:

Love it. Happy looking group of people.

Who is the lady on the left, Malinda?

[quote]MsM wrote:
Love it. Happy looking group of people.

Who is the lady on the left, Malinda?[/quote]

Her name is Chris Bridges – wife of one of the best ever powerlifters Mike Bridges.

I love to see older people getting out there and doing their thing, whatever that thing may be.
There is a guy at my gym who is 73 and still trains OL 4 days a week. He is very nice and started lifting OL after 40 years old. I think he is a huge inspiration!

Great pic M.

When I lived in Missouri I volunteered for the Show Me State Games. It’s Missouri’s version of the Olympics. Great event!

One year I was measuring the long jump. We had participants in that age range. It was such a joy to work with them. Very inspiring!

Another year I helped with power lifting. Guys & girls ranging from 13 to 80 participated. It was fantastic!!!

Now THAT is inspirational!!!

Agreed, great stuff!

Thanks. That’s great to see. One thing I like about this sport is the longevity of it.

One of the guys at the new PL club I started training with is 67 and will be competing in the Worlds masters in September in Palm Springs. I’m really enjoying watching him.

I would feel like a baby if it weren’t for the 15 year old.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
Thanks. That’s great to see. One thing I like about this sport is the longevity of it.

One of the guys at the new PL club I started training with is 67 and will be competing in the Worlds masters in September in Palm Springs. I’m really enjoying watching him.

I would feel like a baby if it weren’t for the 15 year old.[/quote]

What is his name? I will be at the same meet :wink:

[quote]Firebug9 wrote:
ouroboro_s wrote:

I would feel like a baby if it weren’t for the 15 year old.

What is his name? I will be at the same meet :wink: [/quote]

All I know right now is Jack. I’ve only met him a few times. I’ll ask him on Sunday.

It’s quite an inspiration watching him. It’s one thing watching teenage boys and quite another to watch the person I hope to be in 25 years.

Somehow I missed this!

Anyway, for some reason I find this type of photo to be much more inspirational than the PI’s.

Thanks

AWESOME. Coolest 85 year old ever. I want these people to lift at my gym… Thanks for posting this!

Firebug

Thanks for posting that photo.  That is inspirational as hell!!!! I think that is why a lot of us "older" lifters are doing this, in part.  We want to be like those guys when we get up there.