T Nation

Little Help Gaining?

Just started trying to gain mass and up until now I haven’t been dedicated to gaining and just recently got serious enough to stick with a diet that’s not filled with fast foods and fats.

So here is the run down:
I am 5’9" and weight is 170.

Aiming for 185 now, with an ultimate goal of 190+.

I have been working out 3 years now consistently, but consisted of primarily pushups/dips/situps/pullups/running.

Recently decided that I wanted to bulk up - so I changed my workout and my eating -
food intake is about 2200-2500 calories with 200+ g protien.
Staying away from fried foods and anything that has lots of fat, eating lots of chicken and consume a protien drink a couple times a day, also steaks. Drinking lots of water and eliminating mountain dew - that’s my addiction :wink:

Over the last 3 weeks I have changed up my routine in order to gain weight(heavy bench/curl/squat/deadlift) -
but know that I need a more solid and intense routine…

• Could you pass along a training routine that helped you gain?

• Any additional advice on supplements would be helpful, not against taking test or d-bol(what about Alpha Male and others on this site or any other that will actually help gain), but don’t know where to get it, or how to use it, or what’s really legal or not? Help on these would be great too.

[quote]jsteele wrote:
Just started trying to gain mass and up until now I haven’t been dedicated to gaining and just recently got serious enough to stick with a diet that’s not filled with fast foods and fats.

So here is the run down:

I have been working out 3 years now consistently, but consisted of primarily pushups/dips/situps/pullups/running.

Recently decided that I wanted to bulk up - so I changed my workout and my eating -
Staying away from fried foods and anything that has lots of fat, eating lots of chicken and consume a protien drink a couple times a day, also steaks. Drinking lots of water and eliminating mountain dew - that’s my addiction :wink:

Over the last 3 weeks I have changed up my routine in order to gain weight(heavy bench/curl/squat/deadlift) -

• Any additional advice on supplements would be helpful, not against taking test or d-bol(what about Alpha Male and others on this site or any other that will actually help gain), but don’t know where to get it, or how to use it, or what’s really legal or not? Help on these would be great too.[/quote]

So…you’re 170lbs eating 2200-2500 calories and day trying to gain…

You’re AVOIDING fast food and things with lots of fats even though that’s what got you to that weight?

You’re going to LOSE weight doing things like this bro.

You shouldn’t be asking about training routines and supplements.

Get a basic routine and spend the money that you WOULD be spending on supplements on food instead (membership to Costco etc.)

[quote]jsteele wrote:

So here is the run down:

• Any additional advice on supplements would be helpful, not against taking test or d-bol(what about Alpha Male and others on this site or any other that will actually help gain), but don’t know where to get it, or how to use it, or what’s really legal or not? Help on these would be great too.[/quote]

We are about the same size (I’m 5’7" 185lbs and I too have a goal of a lean 190). Just eat. I finally saw the ligt about 2 weeks ago, started eating more and have put on 5 lbs already. All I did was add a little to each meal. I added a 1/2 cup oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder to breakfast, a 6oz. can of tuna at 9am, a cheese stick to my 10:30am snack, switched from lunch meat to real chicken breast for lunch, added an extra cheese stick and 4oz cottage cheese to my mid-afternoon snack, then went for seconds at dinner (I always avoided seconds). This was all in addition to my normal diet that was just enough to sustain. I can seriously tell a difference. Good food includes:

Peanuts/natural peanut butter
cottage cheese
cheese sticks
tuna
oatmeal
eggs
chicken/lean beef
whole wheat bread
almost anything natural

As for programs, there are too many options. I suggest you read lots here, have thick skin, ask questions, and lift very heavy in whatever program you pick.

How old are you? Also, give us an idea of your strength levels at this time.

D

[quote]jsteele wrote:

food intake is about 2200-2500 calories with 200+ g protien. [/quote]

Just to be the only person to tell you nicely, 2200 isn’t going to help you add mass given that weight. I’d say somewhere in the ballpark of 3500-4000 should be good for a start

I finished up the Waterbury Method, and that worked good, also Westside 4 Skinny Bastards helped from what I heard. Some of the veterans will give you more.

Some of the Biotest stuff from what I’ve heard (Grow!/Surge), but I’d just reccomend actual food first.

I am 22 and right now these are my max’s:

bench 225
squat 315
deadlift 405

I usually curl around 75 standing, but heard that sitting is better and that I need to up that by at least 50%, so about 115.

so far I got that I need to increase caloric intake to around 4k to help me out.

And response to the crappy fast foods, I would usually eat just an ultimate cheeseburger and large coke for lunch and dinner, that’s it, so about 1400 calories, plus I wasn’t eating breakfast and also eating a small lunch, the best thing was probably a chicken bacon ranch wrap from subway with double chicken and double cheese. Total of calories was probably under 2000, but with the 5-10 mountain dews I would have throughout the day, maybe 2250 max.

I really appreciate the input on the caloric intake, I figured that would be more than enough calories as long as they were good calories, not saturated fat calories,

any additional input would be greatly appreciated