Little Guys Vent!

tgatl and mark lonnie jr.

You fellows perfectly described yourselves as the little guys in the gym with huge egos and insecurities about your size. You make up for your lack of size with pride in your strenght which is ok but your feverish style is what betrays you. Body builders are not all show and no go. I’m a bodybuilder and while i know may small guys size me up and do their exercises next to me with more weight while eye balling me. I just laugh inside. They have yet to understand the difference in training for hypetrophy or strenght. Pulling 740 lb deads did not get me the look i wanted so i switched to a different style of lifting but now ego lifters go around thinking i should be stronger, lol, whatever. Only in time they’ll learn on themselves and see the sillines of their game. One lesson to learn is that BB goes in phases. When you’re still new, you do the strenght thing, once you go there and come back you can train for size and be effective in it.

[quote]Gregus wrote:

You fellows perfectly described yourselves as the little guys in the gym with huge egos and insecurities about your size. You make up for your lack of size with pride in your strenght which is ok but your feverish style is what betrays you. Body builders are not all show and no go. I’m a bodybuilder and while i know may small guys size me up and do their exercises next to me with more weight while eye balling me. I just laugh inside. They have yet to understand the difference in training for hypetrophy or strenght. Pulling 740 lb deads did not get me the look i wanted so i switched to a different style of lifting but now ego lifters go around thinking i should be stronger, lol, whatever. Only in time they’ll learn on themselves and see the sillines of their game. One lesson to learn is that BB goes in phases. When you’re still new, you do the strenght thing, once you go there and come back you can train for size and be effective in it.[/quote]

This is true. I have also noticed the guys who either train next to you or watch the weights you use and then come behind you trying to go heavier for no other reason than that same ego problem. This has happened most often during times where I might be using a lighter weight for the last exercise (like I often do for biceps). It would be ridiculous for some guy to watch me curling my very last set with a 40lbs weight and assume that this was my usual working weight or the epitome of my strength. Unless the guy who is that much bigger than you is simply out of shape, I wouldn’t go around thinking you are stronger than everyone simply because you haven’t seen that person lift a weight heavier.

Also, the replies of telling him to fuck off are priceless. My guess is there are very few of you who would actually do that in this situation. Further, it makes no sense to escalate the situation by going there. It was a pussy move to leave the rack you were in if there truly were that many other squat racks. Simply telling the guy that you were there first and that there were other racks would have been enough. That means:

a) You have been struck with pussy-itis and need to get yourself fixed quickly.

b) You were playing around on the equipment and gave this guy the impression that you weren’t serious and he called you on it

OR

c) You made this all up just so you could make posts about how much better you are than anyone else who might be bigger than you.

T0 Gregus & Professor X

I’m a strength coach in Atlanta and was responding to this forum to be funny. I know the difference between training for size or strength… And know that you don’t have to go heavy to get results. My favorite quote is TRAIN YOUR BODY AND NOT YOUR EGO!!! I’m just aware all to well of the guys both big and small who are the asshole meatheads in the gym… I stick to my statement of telling the guy to kiss my ass!! Enough said.

I’ve done the Bodybuilding thing… I’ve done the Powerlifting thing…
I hear what your saying…
I know how to manipulate my body into changing with the best of them. But I’m not one of those guys… Your taking this forum way to serious.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Gregus wrote:

You fellows perfectly described yourselves as the little guys in the gym with huge egos and insecurities about your size. You make up for your lack of size with pride in your strenght which is ok but your feverish style is what betrays you. Body builders are not all show and no go. I’m a bodybuilder and while i know may small guys size me up and do their exercises next to me with more weight while eye balling me. I just laugh inside. They have yet to understand the difference in training for hypetrophy or strenght. Pulling 740 lb deads did not get me the look i wanted so i switched to a different style of lifting but now ego lifters go around thinking i should be stronger, lol, whatever. Only in time they’ll learn on themselves and see the sillines of their game. One lesson to learn is that BB goes in phases. When you’re still new, you do the strenght thing, once you go there and come back you can train for size and be effective in it.

This is true. I have also noticed the guys who either train next to you or watch the weights you use and then come behind you trying to go heavier for no other reason than that same ego problem. This has happened most often during times where I might be using a lighter weight for the last exercise (like I often do for biceps). It would be ridiculous for some guy to watch me curling my very last set with a 40lbs weight and assume that this was my usual working weight or the epitome of my strength. Unless the guy who is that much bigger than you is simply out of shape, I wouldn’t go around thinking you are stronger than everyone simply because you haven’t seen that person lift a weight heavier.

Also, the replies of telling him to fuck off are priceless. My guess is there are very few of you who would actually do that in this situation. Further, it makes no sense to escalate the situation by going there. It was a pussy move to leave the rack you were in if there truly were that many other squat racks. Simply telling the guy that you were there first and that there were other racks would have been enough. That means:

a) You have been struck with pussy-itis and need to get yourself fixed quickly.

b) You were playing around on the equipment and gave this guy the impression that you weren’t serious and he called you on it

OR

c) You made this all up just so you could make posts about how much better you are than anyone else who might be bigger than you.[/quote]

Iron Brother, you have spoken many truisms in your post.

[quote]tgatl wrote:
Your taking this forum way to serious. [/quote]

Ding ding ding!

As I continue to read this thread I’m more and more amazed atthe little man syndrome that plagues these guys.

Grow up. tgatl–I reread your post, you did not mean that to be funny. Nothing in your post suggests tongue and cheek humor.

As the prof said, and I believe, not one of you would have truly reacted this way.

Also as the prof has suggested, I don’t believe this even happened as reported.
I’ve been in some type of gym for 20 years now and have NEVER seen this scenario play out. If someone is working hard on a station, it just doesn’t happen.

Yeah I should have been more clear he was not as big as he thought he was… haha.

We did find a little chin bar/dip station to finish on but it was so small it sucked. All the other areas to do chins at already had people using them.

So last night this guy comes in and apparently the rack is “his” equipment. First thing he does is set up then start some sort of kettle bell swings in the rack, Uses it all night.

Oh well I guess that is life, Next time I am not moving till we are finished.

Later guys.