T Nation

Lithium and Training

I have recently been perscribed lithium for manic depression. Anybody out there have any experience with the effects of lithium on body composition, workouts, etc.,?

[quote]theo wrote:
Anybody out there have any experience with the effects of lithium on body composition, workouts, etc.,?[/quote]

The only use of lithium I know of is medical. Are you currently using this and need to know how it will effect your training? If this is the case, I know of some side effects: nausea, vomiting, anorexia, abdominal pain, diarrhea, impaired glucose intolerance, polyuria, polydipsia, and weight gain. Now that last side effect contradicts several other side effects.

Back to my statement above, if you are using a medication, I would talk to your pharmacist and doctor.

Other than that, I have no experience. Good luck.

I had to take lithium as a teenager for serious depression caused by some tragic life events. I ended up gaining 50lb as a result even though my calorie intake was about 2500 per day and I watched what I was eating very closely. If you are someone a “hardgainer” or find it hard to eat enough calories to gain mass, perhaps that could help you gain muscle without eating Massive Eating portions.

Lithium will interfere with your carb sensitivity, so in hindsight I would probably go with about 40-30-30 macronutrient proportions or maybe even T-Dawg Diet 2.0 with calorie levels more towards maintainance levels or a little more. The solution for me was my mental health improving and I no longer had to take the meds. Good luck.