Literature About Nutrition

Does anyone have any books they could reccomend to me? I’m going to be a college freshman in the fall and am majoring in dietetics. I just want to soak up as much information as humanly possible, so i can form my own indepedent opinions. I was recently reccommended The Diet Cure by Julia Ross and plan to take it out of the local library tomorrow. Any reccomendations of all types of literature dealing with nutrition would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

I would recommend all of Lyle McDonald’s books, although they are diet based. I think Esk bought a book that he enjoyed, I forget the name of it though. Maybe he can chime in.

It was “knowledge and nonsense” by jamie hale.

Personally, I don’t think you’ll find many useful suggestions here. Go online and see if you can buy some used textbooks instead.

any used nutrition101 textbook should be a good start

After a semester or a year, once you have a decent base and understanding of the subject; go get Amino Acids and Proteins for the athlete, by DiPasquale. It’s a good read (for nerds) and goes into a lot of detail.

[quote]JMoUCF87 wrote:

Personally, I don’t think you’ll find many useful suggestions here. Go online and see if you can buy some used textbooks instead.[/quote]

I just bought this book, thanks for the heads up

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
JMoUCF87 wrote:

Personally, I don’t think you’ll find many useful suggestions here. Go online and see if you can buy some used textbooks instead.

I just bought this book, thanks for the heads up[/quote]

So much good stuff in there, you should read the hormones section twice and then go back to it daily for reference.

Yeah I’ve been thinking about buying it for a while. Let me know if you like it JF.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
JMoUCF87 wrote:

I just bought this book, thanks for the heads up[/quote]

Good. Now please commit every word to memory before replying to another thread here.

Thanks.

(jk…but not really)

I’m in the same boat, bro. I’ll be attending Brooklyn college, What about you?

Here’s what I got from anither forum (precision nutrition)

Nutrition and supplements
Antonio, Jose and Jeff Stout. Supplements for Strength and Power Athletes.
Benardot, Dan. Nutrition for Serious Athletes.
Berardi, John. Precision Nutrition.
Hargreaves, Mark and Lawrence Spriet. Exercise Metabolism.
Ivy, John and Robert Portman. Nutrient Timing.
McArdle, William, Frank Katch, and Victor Katch. Exercise Nutrition.
Pollan, Michael. The Omnivore’s Dilemma
Pollan, Michael. In Defense of Food

I would also recomend reading Garry Tabules-Good Calorie, Bad Calorie, PubMed articles, Nutrition journals(but may want to way because most colleges get a lot of journals for free), Layne Norton interviews, Johnny Bowden’s 150 Healthest foods, and Chris Mohr mentions the textbook Sport Nutrition by Asker E. Jeukendrup.

I’m in the same boat, bro. I’ll be attending Brooklyn College, What about you?

[quote]DannyPatrick wrote:
I’m in the same boat, bro. I’ll be attending Brooklyn college, What about you?

Here’s what I got from anither forum (precision nutrition)

Nutrition and supplements
Antonio, Jose and Jeff Stout. Supplements for Strength and Power Athletes.
Benardot, Dan. Nutrition for Serious Athletes.
Berardi, John. Precision Nutrition.
Hargreaves, Mark and Lawrence Spriet. Exercise Metabolism.
Ivy, John and Robert Portman. Nutrient Timing.
McArdle, William, Frank Katch, and Victor Katch. Exercise Nutrition.
Pollan, Michael. The Omnivore’s Dilemma
Pollan, Michael. In Defense of Food

I would also recomend reading Garry Tabules-Good Calorie, Bad Calorie, PubMed articles, Nutrition journals(but may want to way because most colleges get a lot of journals for free), Layne Norton interviews, Johnny Bowden’s 150 Healthest foods, and Chris Mohr mentions the textbook Sport Nutrition by Asker E. Jeukendrup.
[/quote]

Incoming freshman or transfer student? If you’re majoring in Nutrition, I’ll see you around Ingersol.

I would strongly recommend AGAINST Good Calories Bad Calories, unless you plan on majoring in “Making Shit Up”