Listen To Dr. Udo Erasmus TODAY!

At 3-4pm PACIFIC TIME

Hey team,

Feeling charitable today, so I’m gonna give away 5 free passes to my interview with Dr. Udo Erasmus today. You’ll not only be able to listen in to the good Doctor, but you’ll also be able to ask your own questions if you like. here’s a bit of info, and then, later, the slight “catch:”

Udo Erasmus, Ph.D., introduced the importance of essential fats (EFA’s) derived from organic flax seeds to the world. He pioneered methods for producing unrefined oils made with health in mind which are still used today by manufacturers of flax and other oils.

Starting in the mid-1980’s, Udo popularized the use of flax oil through an endless number of public lectures, which eventually led to TV and radio interviews. His groundbreaking book, Fats that Heal Fats That Kill, became the industry’s bible on fats. Later he developed an oil blend which is an improvement on flax oil, offering a better ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6. This oil blend contains everything we need from fats and nothing we should avoid. It is found in health food stores, packaged in amber glass bottles placed within a box.

In a nutshell, Udo is the reason there are high quality, unrefined flax oils and other important seed oils found in refrigerators in health food stores and in health-minded practitioners’ dispensaries around the world.

Udo’s contribution to the fields of health and nutrition, along with his pioneering work to establish standards of quality for oil manufacture will continue to benefit humanity for decades to come.

I spoke with Udo a few weeks ago and he proved to be both thoughtful and entertaining? you’ll love this interview…don’t miss it!

IS THERE A CATCH TO THIS GIVEAWAY?

Only a slight one: I’m finishing up my book on Escalating Density Training for Rodale publishers, and I’d love to get a few more testimonials about EDT for the book.

So send your EDT testimonial to me at: charles@edtsecrets.com, and include your full name and city as well.

Winners will be notifed by e-mail by 2pm pacific time

Thanks and good luck!

Charles, I would love to get in on this phone call. My mind is abuzz and my heart adither with the questions I’d like to ask.

If I don’t get in on the call, would someone Puh-leeeeeeze ask the following?

• Are Omega 3 fatty acids more easily oxidized after they’ve been incorporated into the cell membranes, myelin sheath, etc. If so, what are your antioxidant recommendations?

• I know you’re a fatty acid processing or production expert. How do you feel about the process of molecular distillation of fish oil?

• How efficiently do you feel the general population is at converting ALA (Omega 3s) to EPA & DHA? There’s typically only a 25 to 33% conversion rate, I understand, if everything is working optimally. How many people have defects in metabolism that result in a lesser (or none) conversion than 25 to 33%?

• What are your dosing recommendations in grams or tablespoons for flaxseed oil per pound of TBW or LBM?

Terry

It was great to hear your voice on the call. You had some great questions.

You might consider trying out the coaches group. Check with Julianne on the details.

I just got off the conference call, and I have to say that I’ve never enjoyed a talk or an article or a book more than I enjoyed Charles’ interview of Udo Erasmus. T-Nation, you really missed out!!!

There were two things that were discussed that I found particularly fascinating and enlightening.

Fish Oil. Being members of T-Nation, most of us know the health benefits of supplementing with fish oil that is high in EPA & DHA. But for all its benefits, because of how the fish oil is processed, it comes with downsides and negatives. Udo said that in individuals under high oxidative stress, 5g can actually be PRO-inflammatory!!!

I asked about defects in converting ALA (Omega 3s) to DHA, and Udo said that in some people the ability to convert ALA to DHA might be sluggish or slow, but that it proceeds forward nonetheless. Defects in conversion are influenced to a greater degree by DIET than by genetics.

Things that IMPROVE the conversion of Omega 3s to DHA & EPA are:

• A high ratio fo omega 3 to omega 6 intake (found in Udo’s Choice)

• Phytosterols (found in Udo’s Choice)

• GLA (found in Udo’s Choice)

• Phytoestrogens (found in Udo’s choice)

• A high ratio of protein to carb intake (the norm in most of us here on T-Nation)

The above bulleted items support, ALONG WITH A GOOD MULTI-VITAMIN, promote, enhance and support the conversion of Omega 3 fatty acids to DHA and EPA, which is our reason for taking fish oil.

The second thing discussed that I found to be quite illuminating is that CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) which is the hot, “new” supp for fat loss comes with a laundry list of negatives and probably more down sides than benefits. There are supposedly 150 negative studies on CLA on PubMed, and there’s an article on Udo’s web site that I’m going to go track down. According to a Norwegian study, the following groups should avoid CLA supplementation:

• Pregnant mothers (babies are born underweight and don’t grow to normal/average height)

• Breast feeding mothers (reduces fat in the mother’s milk)

• Anyone with high cholesterol

• Anyone who is overweight or has Diabetes Type II (worsens insulin resistance)

Anyway, it was a fabulous conference call. I have Udo’s book, “Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill.” Not only is he an excellent and highly understandable and entertaining writer, he’s as good a speaker as he is a writer.

I would very much like to thank Charles for the opportunity to sit in on the conference call today.

T-Peeps, repeating, you missed out BIG TIME!!!

Terry

The other thing he mentioned about CLA was that it was primarily made up of trans fats, you know- the bad ones,and that CLA can interfere with the body’s conversion of Omega 3 to EPA/DHA.

I don’t know about you but I am about ready to pitch my CLA.

You bet Terry, glad you could make it! We’re getting some great guests lately? in fact, on Feb 9th I’m interviewing David Allen, creator of the Getting Things Done (GTD) personal productivity system. This will be an UNREAL call for anyone who’s super busy and in need of getting their lives productive and organized.

[quote]Tampa-Terry wrote:
I just got off the conference call, and I have to say that I’ve never enjoyed a talk or an article or a book more than I enjoyed Charles’ interview of Udo Erasmus. T-Nation, you really missed out!!!

Anyway, it was a fabulous conference call. I have Udo’s book, “Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill.” Not only is he an excellent and highly understandable and entertaining writer, he’s as good a speaker as he is a writer.

I would very much like to thank Charles for the opportunity to sit in on the conference call today.

T-Peeps, repeating, you missed out BIG TIME!!!
[/quote]

Atreides, thank you for adding that! There was so much good information on that call. I just touched on a few of the highlights.

And yes, that blew my mind about the CLA. I knew it was a transfatty acid, but I didn’t know about all the negative side effects. Makes for an interesting Google search, too!

Glad you were able to attend!!!

The second thing discussed that I found to be quite illuminating is that CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) which is the hot, “new” supp for fat loss comes with a laundry list of negatives and probably more down sides than benefits. There are supposedly 150 negative studies on CLA on PubMed, and there’s an article on Udo’s web site that I’m going to go track down. According to a Norwegian study, the following groups should avoid CLA supplementation:

• Pregnant mothers (babies are born underweight and don’t grow to normal/average height)

• Breast feeding mothers (reduces fat in the mother’s milk)

• Anyone with high cholesterol

• Anyone who is overweight or has Diabetes Type II (worsens insulin resistance)

[/quote]

Are there studies that show negative effects of naturally occuring CLA like products from grass-fed animals or is it strictly the supplement/safflower oil form.

[quote]andrewjones wrote:

Are there studies that show negative effects of naturally occuring CLA like products from grass-fed animals or is it strictly the supplement/safflower oil form.[/quote]
The evidence of adverse effects is from supplements as far as I am aware.

That sounds like it was a great call with Udo Erasmus!

Are there studies that show negative effects of naturally occuring CLA like products from grass-fed animals or is it strictly the supplement/safflower oil form.

What a great question, Andrew! I tend to agree with Boxer, but couldn’t begin to explain scientifically why. I’ll see if I can find out the answer to your question.

Charles, yet another AWESOME thing/gift you laid upon us here at T-Nation.

Team Staley snever ceases to amaze me with their generosity.

I highly suggest any and everyone that has a chance to get in on any of the events to do so. WELL worth it!!!

By the way when will the new book be available???

Thanks again,

Phill

If I don’t get in on the call, would someone Puh-leeeeeeze ask the following?

• What are your dosing recommendations in grams or tablespoons for flaxseed oil per pound of TBW or LBM?

[/quote]

So was this addressed? It is the most practical question you listed. The science is interesting, but we have to know how to put it to use to be beneficial.

Sorry to hear that I missed this. Thanks for posting from the interview.

Useful CLA article from Udo’s website:
http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/cla1_pv.htm

Terry,
It looks like the link to the Norwegian study was on the following page
http://www.udoerasmus.com/articles/udo/cla_expanded.htm
unfortunatley, it appears the links to the study are no longer valid. If you find the article, could you post a pointer to it?

And yes, that blew my mind about the CLA. I knew it was a transfatty acid, but I didn’t know about all the negative side effects. Makes for an interesting Google search, too!

Glad you were able to attend!!![/quote]

Terry, also be aware that a lot of the negative, and positive effects of CLA have only been examined in the murine model. There is very little data showing anything positive or negative in humans.

if anyone actually has a link to the the claimed Norwegian heath warning that Udo mentions, could you post it?

T-Bone2, thanks for helping me out by posting those links!!!

What are your dosing recommendations in grams or tablespoons for flaxseed oil per pound of TBW or LBM?

Ursus, in answer to your question, Udo Erasmus recommends his Udo’s Choice over the flaxseed oil at a dosage of 1 tablespoon per 50 pounds or 25 Kg of TBW. 25 Kg is actually 55 pounds, but they’re roughly the same.

He found that when he supplemented with flaxseed oil only, he (and others) ended up with an Omega 6 fatty acid deficiency. You actually do need both Omega 3s and 6s.

I’m probably going to use up my flaxseed oil and switch over to the blend. Since I do snack on walnuts and almonds on an almost daily basis, I have no fears of that I’m becoming deficient in Omega 6s.

Terry, also be aware that a lot of the negative, and positive effects of CLA have only been examined in the murine model.

Cycomiko, for the benefit of everyone else and not because I had to look it up myself:

Murine = Relating to Mice or Rats

Thanks! (grin)

Terry,

If you search the archives you’ll find a post where I included a number of negative studies about CLA…although whether all appply to the correct…isomer I’m not sure.

I’m not sure I understand this O6 deficiency. Supposedly, we get too much of it (relative to O3), yet he puts the ratio in his supplement we are already supposed to be getting. Wouldn’t we be getting TOO MUCH O6 in that case? I mean, if he’s trying to compensate for an out-of-balance diet, shouldn’t he be minimizing something we get too much of rather than adding a bunch more?

From what I understand, there are downsides of getting too much O6, unlike O3, which is more benign.

Did he address this at all? That’s the thing that concerns me most about his product. If I’m getting so much O6 already, why does he put in even more?

Berner, it must be nice to have what you’ve known for so long validated! (grin)

michaelv, you’re right in what you say. Let me see if I can put the right twist on this, as per Udo.

Let’s say that you’ve educated yourself on the value of EFAs and are making changes to your diet. You’re cutting out hydrogenated oils and transfatty acids and fried foods and Krispy Kreme donuts and cakes and pastries. In addition to cutting the bad stuff out, you’re adding in the GOOD fats. Your body still has Omega 6 fatty acid requirements. Omega 6s like Omega 3s are essential fatty acids. Whether you’ve cleaned up your diet like I outlined above or whether you’re eating a SAD (Standard American Diet), your body still requires quality Omega 6s – Omega 6s that have not been hydrogenated or deodorized or bleached or oxidized.

Udo’s Choice has a higher ratio of Omega 3s to Omega 6s to compensate for the Omega 6s your likely to get in your diet.

The following are generally found in a lot of people’s diets and are high in Omega 6s:

Sunflower (seeds or oil)
Safflower oil
corn (oil, products, and “on the cobb”)
cottonseed oil
soybean oil

Basically in a nut shell, even though most of us get too many Omega 6s, none of us are getting *quality Omega 6s unless we’re ingesting nonhydrogenated, cold-pressed versions of the oils I mentioned above.

Cut out the bad, add in the good.

The other facit to that is that the body is perfectly capable of manufacturing Omega 6’s, unlike Omega 3’s, which again, brings up the point of why I need to supplement with them.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a bottle of Udo’s Choice in the other room. But these topics keep coming up every time I try to decide whether to order another when that one runs out.

From what I’ve read, I don’t see any compelling reason to not just use Flax oil instead.

I understand his viewpoint that his supplement is the perfect mix of ingredients, with the largest upside and the smallest downside. But then again, they’re HIS supplements, so he’s going to be a little bit biased, even if he is trying to give it as straight as he can.

michaelv, the reason Omega 3s and 6s are called “Essential Fatty Acids” is because they are essential or required by the body and beccause the body is not capable of making them. Please check into that detail a little further.

And it’s not that I’m trying to talk you into taking the blend. Because I could actually look at my fat sources and make sure I had a proper ratio of w3 to w6 and take the other things Udo listed that are supportive of ALA to DHA conversion. And my fat sources WOULD be quality w3 (Omega 3) sources; i.e., raw nuts.

That’s the real opportunity provided to us here on T-Nation: Read, learn, evaluate the information, and do whatever the heck we want. Right? (grin)