T Nation

List of Hardcore Gyms?

Is there a link that you all can provide me that has a list of some good gyms? Im a hybrid between body builder and powerlifter (Im fickle, and cant decide!). All I care about is going to a gym that has like minded individuals: no fatties, no lazy people, no high school chicks, etc. Im sure you all understand.

Im moving to the Carlsbad, CA area (Camp Pendleton, Oceanside, etc)

Thanks!

Planet Fitness

(joking)

World Gym in Pacific Beach (about 30 miles from Carlsbad) is home to most of the really serious bodybuilders, powerlifters and/or strength athletes in San Diego. I don’t know much about north county gyms that might fit what you’re looking for and would be closer and I doubt you’ll find a better place in north county.

Here’s a link to powerlifting gym listings in California:

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/4420

bev franis powerhouse near me if amazing so im sure any other powerhouses will be just as good

In West Texas
Back Street Gym

http://www.backstreetgym.com/
run by an IFBB Bodybuilding chick…

That is my church

I love my gym. It’s simply called “Gainesville Gym”. haha

Even the people that lift recreationally are big and strong. I see powerlifters training from time to time, bodybuilders there every day, as well as an olympic weightlifting team training there-also everyday.

All of the equipment is old and rusty and there are more freeweights than machines.

Theres only like a dozen cardio machines in the whole place…

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I love my gym. It’s simply called “Gainesville Gym”. haha

Even the people that lift recreationally are big and strong. I see powerlifters training from time to time, bodybuilders there every day, as well as an olympic weightlifting team training there-also everyday.

All of the equipment is old and rusty and there are more freeweights than machines.

Theres only like a dozen cardio machines in the whole place…[/quote]
That’s exactly what I want.

But I cant find anything good in the Camp Pendleton area. I dont really want to lift on base, despite the fact that it’s free.

Honestly, I’d love to just lift in someone’s basement, provided that they are a giant monster, and not some toolbox who spends his days curling the pink DBs.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
“Gainesville Gym”
[/quote]

Priceless

I know right.

To the OP: I will say that my mentality and general motivation has gone way up since joining this gym. It’s a much better environment for bodybuilding and heavy lifting (and it’s cheaper than the fitness center I used to go to).

But you can’t let a thing like gym environment affect the progress you make towards your ultimate goals if you just can’t find a good one.

I am going to be a solid 250lbs with an advanced powerlift total no matter if I’m training at a fitness center, a hardcore gym, or my garage.

I just might get there a little faster in the gym I’m at now.

My general advice though, as far as finding a good gym, would be to steer away from the franchises and fitness centers obviously, and if you see a big guy, someone who obviously trains hard and heavy… ask them where they work out. You might be surprised to find that there is a cheap, small, but locally owned gym right in your area, just as i found out.

::EDIT::

I discovered that 90% of the biggest guys at the fitness center i used to go to trained mainly at the gym i use now. I got the idea one day when I simply saw one of them wearing a beat up “gainesville gym” t-shirt. So me and my training partner found its location and went to check it out. We signed up that very day.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
I know right.

To the OP: I will say that my mentality and general motivation has gone way up since joining this gym. It’s a much better environment for bodybuilding and heavy lifting (and it’s cheaper than the fitness center I used to go to).

But you can’t let a thing like gym environment affect the progress you make towards your ultimate goals if you just can’t find a good one.

I am going to be a solid 250lbs with an advanced powerlift total no matter if I’m training at a fitness center, a hardcore gym, or my garage.

I just might get there a little faster in the gym I’m at now.

My general advice though, as far as finding a good gym, would be to steer away from the franchises and fitness centers obviously, and if you see a big guy, someone who obviously trains hard and heavy… ask them where they work out. You might be surprised to find that there is a cheap, small, but locally owned gym right in your area, just as i found out.

::EDIT::

I discovered that 90% of the biggest guys at the fitness center i used to go to trained mainly at the gym i use now. I got the idea one day when I simply saw one of them wearing a beat up “gainesville gym” t-shirt. So me and my training partner found its location and went to check it out. We signed up that very day.[/quote]
I can work out on base, where there will be a bunch of fairly big dudes, but I like to get off base when Im done with work, as being surrounded by a bunch of Marines can get old.

Good idea, though, about asking just random big dudes where they work out. Ill certainly do that. I have a habit of talking to total strangers, so I may as well do it this time as well.

I certainly wont let the gym affect my lifting that much. It’s just nice. I lift in a gym now that has some MASSSSIVEEE guys, and I love it. So i’d like to find a place like that in CA as well. If not, Ill take what I can get. The most important part is having a good partner, not a good gym.

I agree. If it weren’t for my training partner I don’t think I would have ever made any progress at all in the “health and fitness center”.

[quote]
I can work out on base, where there will be a bunch of fairly big dudes, but I like to get off base when Im done with work, as being surrounded by a bunch of Marines can get old.

Good idea, though, about asking just random big dudes where they work out. Ill certainly do that. I have a habit of talking to total strangers, so I may as well do it this time as well.[/quote]

It is always good to get off any base and see normal people:) My base’s gym is great, but I just don’t like the semi-military atmosphere (hey, it’s the air force).

If you ever venture a little north, stop by Milos Sarcev’s Koloseum Gym in Fullerton.

Gerdy