List All Your Supps At the Doctors?

When your doctor asks you what drugs you take, do you just list the prescription stuff or do you run through the litany of supplements, as well? I’m talking about stuff you can get from Biotest or similar, not things labelled for veterinary use, here.

Normally, when my doctor asks, I just tell her about the prescription/OTC and then say I take some supplements like fish oil and caffeine pills. Since they’ve always been “well” visits it’s not like she’s trying to track down something causing a problem. And, she’s never asked for more details.

But, talking to the allergist today I wondered if one was supposed to volunteer more specifics. It’s not that I mind telling him, but if so, I might have to cut and paste the ingredient lists as I don’t think “HOT-ROX Extreme” would mean very much to him.

What do you all do?

No, it would take too damn long and open up too many ignorant questions.If I feel it’s something beyond the norm like a prohormone I would.

D

I have not been to the doctors in three years. When they quit giving me a peice of candy after the shots, it took away the incentive.

Maybe if the nurse flashed me or something.

haha!!

I told her “whey…if you consider that a supplement”, and she said to watch out because it could be contaminated with anabolic steroids. LOL.

Didn’t think it would be a good idea to tell her about clen.

If you do find your whey has steroids in it then be aware that it IS a controlled substance and therefore you should send it to me for proper disposal. To avoid the hassels and all…

Yes i do, and here is what I do and everyone else should do the same -

I carry around a little card in my wallet that lists every single supplement, wether its Biotest or another brand, and exact dosages of what Im currently taking.

Just in case if something were to ever happen to me(car accident or something), because you never know.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
I have not been to the doctors in three years. When they quit giving me a peice of candy after the shots, it took away the incentive.

[/quote]

Whoa. You should go every year. Not to call you out on anothing, but thats pretty stupid of anyone not to go to the doc for a checkup every year.

Im hardly an MD supporter, I think they are highly untrained in alot of matters regarding alot of topics, but you should USE THEM as tools for your OWN general health.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
No, it would take too damn long and open up too many ignorant questions.If I feel it’s something beyond the norm like a prohormone I would.

D[/quote]

I agree. Things like thermogenics - “diet pills” - have a bad stigma attached to them.

Good idea - that way some kind soul could help you finish your cycle in hospital.

[quote]Nicholas F wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

Whoa. You should go every year. Not to call you out on anothing, but thats pretty stupid of anyone not to go to the doc for a checkup every year.

Im hardly an MD supporter, I think they are highly untrained in alot of matters regarding alot of topics, but you should USE THEM as tools for your OWN general health. [/quote]

So they could check my blood pressure and look down my throat? No offense to any of the doctors on here, but unless I have to, I don’t plan on going to the doctors till I hit forty, and then only for cancer checks. A check-up doesn’t tell a person a God-damned thing. If I was concerned about my blood pressure, then I could go to the blood pressure cuff at wal-mart. And most people are smart enough to know if they need to loose weight. So I don’t really understand why I should go to the doctor. The doctors have never told me anything valuable. However, when I broke an arm, then I saw a doctor. When I cut my finger open with a hedge trimmer, I saw a doctor. When I had 700 pounds of angle iron fall on my leg at my last job, I saw a doctor (and got the day off of work with pay). If I went to the doctor today, what would they really check for? maybe they would read the BMI chart to me, or maybe they would look at my blood pressure. OR shine the light in my eyes. Unless something needs fixed, theres no reason to go to a doctor. Unless there is a nurse named candy, and I get to eat her afterwards.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Nicholas F wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

Im hardly an MD supporter, I think they are highly untrained in alot of matters regarding alot of topics, but you should USE THEM as tools for your OWN general health.

So they could check my blood pressure and look down my throat? No offense to any of the doctors on here, but unless I have to, I don’t plan on going to the doctors till I hit forty, and then only for cancer checks. A check-up doesn’t tell a person a God-damned thing. If I was concerned about my blood pressure, then I could go to the blood pressure cuff at wal-mart. And most people are smart enough to know if they need to loose weight. So I don’t really understand why I should go to the doctor. The doctors have never told me anything valuable. However, when I broke an arm, then I saw a doctor. When I cut my finger open with a hedge trimmer, I saw a doctor. When I had 700 pounds of angle iron fall on my leg at my last job, I saw a doctor (and got the day off of work with pay). If I went to the doctor today, what would they really check for? maybe they would read the BMI chart to me, or maybe they would look at my blood pressure. OR shine the light in my eyes. Unless something needs fixed, theres no reason to go to a doctor. Unless there is a nurse named candy, and I get to eat her afterwards.
[/quote]

Well Fife, for the basics I suppose you are right to a degree. However, unless you have a good Dr. who does it first you need to ask for a full blood panel done. This will give you the lowdown on your full health picture. If you put this off until your are forty you may allow something that can be treated to quietly grow into something deadly. Andy says get your ass to the doc before you’re forty Fife.

D

Another important thing to remember is that your blood isn’t a stable composition anyways. A person can change the contents of their blood day to day if they really want to, so a single snapshot isn’t really and accurate picture of overall health.

And if something kills you at 40 instead of 70, you still get to the same ending point, you just took a shorter route.

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
Another important thing to remember is that your blood isn’t a stable composition anyways. A person can change the contents of their blood day to day if they really want to, so a single snapshot isn’t really and accurate picture of overall health.

And if something kills you at 40 instead of 70, you still get to the same ending point, you just took a shorter route.[/quote]

In order to treat it you gotta find it. If you find it and treat it you can beat it or live with it. However, if you choose to turn blind eye and leave it to chance that is your right, but could be catastrophic for you. With that type of thinking Barney you’re never going to get more then one bullet for your gun.

D

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:

And if something kills you at 40 instead of 70, you still get to the same ending point, you just took a shorter route.

In order to treat it you gotta find it. If you find it and treat it you can beat it or live with it. However, if you choose to turn blind eye and leave it to chance that is your right, but could be catastrophic for you. With that type of thinking Barney you’re never going to get more then one bullet for your gun.

D [/quote]

Some of the best policemen I know don’t even carry a firearm. The sherriff and the police chief both in my hometown didn’t carry a side arm, they just left a pistol in the patrol car. Albeit when I become a police officer, I don’t plan on adopting their philosohpy.

How many people here have actualy made a significant change in their life due to information obtained at a yearly visit with the local sawbones?

In my opinion, doctors of western practices are extremely close minded when it comes to supplements, or anything they are unfamiliar with. They dismiss any questions I have with "there are no studies shown on that so I cannot comment. If you want my professional opinion, don’t take _____(enter supp)____. And funny, every supp contains a disclaimer that says “consult physician before taking.” How ironic!

But yeah, I’ve been blatanly ignored when inquiring about things like colon cleanses, probiotics, L-glutamine, BCAAs, protein supplements, sesamin and R-ALA. I guess we health conscious people need to act as intermediaries. With doctors, know which advice to throw out, and know which advice to heed.

Do any of you guys have experience with naturopaths or alternative medicine docs?

Andy was the best Sheriff ever and never carried a gun full time. He had to be pushed pretty hard to grab a rifle from the rack. Walker Texas Ranger mainly uses Ka-ra-te to defend Texas. That doesn’t change the fact that Barney was dying to get his hands on more bullets.

What’s your family history Barney? Are there any diseases/conditions there you should be looking out for?

D

I agree with both BarneyFife and Dedicated.

I personally won’t go, and haven’t gone to a doctor since the Navy made me, and before that, I didn’t go for years. I’ve been out of the Navy for 3.5 years now, with no intention of going to see a doctor for anything short of an emergency.

I would like to go and get bloodwork done to satisfy my curiosity, but I have a feeling it may be difficult to get the doctor to give me a copy of the readings (from what I’ve heard), and to give good, sound advice about anything nutrition or exercise related.

I have lost a lot of faith in Medical Doctors in general, but don’t necessarily blame them (not solely anyway). I think there are other influences involved, including large companies with vested interests, stress, and the doctors being over-worked and/or very busy.

Ignorance. Aside from blood pressue and blood lipids which are worth monitoring, there’s testicular cancer, a spot on your body that you or your girl doesn’t notice but for which a doctor might refer you to a skin doctor, and a million other things a doctor could catch in a 10-minute physical that could save you a lot of grief down the line. And perhaps your life.

[quote]Dedicated wrote:
Andy was the best Sheriff ever and never carried a gun full time. He had to be pushed pretty hard to grab a rifle from the rack. Walker Texas Ranger mainly uses Ka-ra-te to defend Texas. That doesn’t change the fact that Barney was dying to get his hands on more bullets.

What’s your family history Barney? Are there any diseases/conditions there you should be looking out for?

D[/quote]

On my mothers, mothers side, My great grandmother died of cancer in her early 60’s. My great grandfather died at 93, after smoking a pipe and drinking heavily all his life.

On my mothers father’s side, My great grandma died of a 4 wheeler wreck at 89. My great grandpa is still farming at 92, and had a girlfriend 6 months after my great grandpa’s death.

My grandma on my mothers side is diabetic, and my mom is almost diabetic. My grandpop is 65, still drinks heavily 3 nights a week. Cancer may get him in 10 years or so, he is still smoking 2 packs camel unfiltered a day.

As far as my dad’s side, just mental health problems. One great grandparent on that side died at 95. My dad’s father died at 60. He smoked 5 packs of marlboro’s a day, so its not a shocker.

A person will know if they are diabetic a whole lot quicker then the docs will. And heart disease is something that can be fought by knowledge better then drugs. The only worry is cancer. But I have greens plus in the mail, and I have started eating my fruits and veggies.

As far as the Naturopath or alternative medicine thing goes, a Co-worker of mine at my old job had severe depression, he went to a priest to get help, and that seemed to help.