Liquid Protein?

Hi peoples,

I am trying to get some feedback on liquid protein and its comparison to powders. IDS has a new product “Liquid Whey Protein” that has 42grams per serving in little tubes. The concept is great and does not have all the strain of trying to down a mugg of protein powder.

But what about bioavailibilty or basically how much of that 42grams am I getting? Is this product another marketing scam, or the future of whey?

Thx
#1 Critter Hunter

[quote]critterhunter wrote:
Hi peoples,

I am trying to get some feedback on liquid protein and its comparison to powders. IDS has a new product “Liquid Whey Protein” that has 42grams per serving in little tubes. The concept is great and does not have all the strain of trying to down a mugg of protein powder.

But what about bioavailibilty or basically how much of that 42grams am I getting? Is this product another marketing scam, or the future of whey?

Thx
#1 Critter Hunter[/quote]

I think it’s kind of a scam. The quality of the tube/liquid protein is apparently pretty low. I’d just stick to the normal powders.

[quote]dhuge67 wrote:

I think it’s kind of a scam. The quality of the tube/liquid protein is apparently pretty low. I’d just stick to the normal powders.
[/quote]

Thx for your reply.

I am stupid when it comes to quality of protien??? What do you mean by this? I hate powders, to much other shizznit in them and gas issues. Not to mention taste.

Maybe I am a lil prissy when it comes to “no pain no gain” with everything, but I tried a tube of this stuff from a girl at the gym and its ‘quick in’.

Just wondering am I getting any protien? And the digestabilty has to be better than powders, they wont even mix will with water, one of the most or the most stable compound in the universe.

Also, this is the form of Whey they use:

31.5% Actinase (patent pending blend of enzymatically hydrolyzed collagenic protein isolate, whey protein isolate and caseine protein isolate)

[quote]critterhunter wrote:
dhuge67 wrote:

Thx for your reply.

I am stupid when it comes to quality of protien??? What do you mean by this? I hate powders, to much other shizznit in them and gas issues. Not to mention taste.

Maybe I am a lil prissy when it comes to “no pain no gain” with everything, but I tried a tube of this stuff from a girl at the gym and its ‘quick in’.

Just wondering am I getting any protien? And the digestabilty has to be better than powders, they wont even mix will with water, one of the most or the most stable compound in the universe.

[/quote]

Have you tried Metabolic Drive or Muscle Milk? Those powders mix extremely well, with shaking or even 20 seconds of stirring with a spoon.

A lot of whey-only powders don’t mix as well, but I find that MOST powders mix fine if you use a shaker-bottle. A blender will remove all doubt.

Try a higher quality product though, as that’s most likely the reason why the junk isn’t mixing well.

From what I remember, I think collagenic protein is essentially useless.

[quote]mk9576 wrote:
From what I remember, I think collagenic protein is essentially useless.[/quote]

Check out this article on Actinase:

http://www.besthealthnews.com/the-versatility-of-actinase-protein-complex

Are you advertising their product or something… ?

You worry about “other things” in powders, you worry about how easy it mixes with water, but you don’t bother looking at the ingredients of this liquid protein?

Give me a break.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Are you advertising their product or something… ?

You worry about “other things” in powders, you worry about how easy it mixes with water, but you don’t bother looking at the ingredients of this liquid protein?

Give me a break.[/quote]

Break your neck. If I were advertising I wouldnt be here I would be on Ebay. I am trying to find out about a product that I cannot find much information on.

You obviously dont have any. I am a salmon, chicken and egg white(s) man me-self. Just trying to find out if this product is at least 80% of what is claims.

And what the hell is Actinase?

[quote]mk9576 wrote:
From what I remember, I think collagenic protein is essentially useless.[/quote]

I just read that too on Wikipedia or how ever you spell that. It said that it was not considered “real protein” because it lacks some amino’s.

But what about these Actinase products?

http://216.109.125.130/search/cache?p=Actinase+is+useless&ei=UTF-8&x=wrt&u=featureblog.com/blogs/wantgoodhealth/&w=actinase+useless&d=Nf2VQRIeOZ9I&icp=1&.intl=us

“These products use “Actinase?” protein, which is derived from isolated animal sources that do not contain the lactose and fat normally associated with animal-based proteins.”

I also found this product; Twinlab LPP Predigested Liquid Protein. It doesnt seem to contain Actinase protein, but has anyone here ever used it or know about this product, again I cant seem to find much on either. THX

LOL.

Dude, it’s protein, supposedly.

In any case, if you are concerned with rate of absorption and post workout nutrition, read up on Surge a bit.

However, I do wonder about your level of motivation if you can’t be bothered to mix up a protein…

[quote]vroom wrote:
LOL.

Dude, it’s protein, supposedly.

In any case, if you are concerned with rate of absorption and post workout nutrition, read up on Surge a bit.

However, I do wonder about your level of motivation if you can’t be bothered to mix up a protein…[/quote]

Read up on it: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do;id=EB1E7B8B74CFD78828C51FE8FEDF1062.hydra?id=459244&pageNo=6

lol. They give me gass. The only one that I can remember that I used that did not was Cybergain by Cybergenics back when I was in high school, the late 80’s early 90’s. It probably had steriods in it. Anyway, looking for something that I can stomache. THX for your reply however.

BTW. a Liquid Protein Concentrate is still a darn good idea. As with Whey powder when it first came on the market. Improvements were made and hence you now have products like Surge, On etc. The same will be for liquid proteins.

I wouldnt be suprised if Biotest was testing them now! These products would be great for those who dont want to be drinking gassey shakes all day for extra protein or dont want to eat tuna like a shark. My concern is are the products available “today” worth the money, and what are side-effects if any, of the liquid protein or other ingredients.

BTW again. 5 years from now you will probably have some liquid pro in your stack I would bet on it. Your replyies never state anything about the undeffectiveness of these products or the effectiveness for that matter. Maybe you are dont know either. So lets find out…

Dont know. But I drink milk everyday, eat maccorroni etc and dont have any problems. I have tried all kinds of whey products, never Surge, but the product I mentioned never gave me gas, it has been long discountinued. ON was not to bad on my stomache, but I still got gass from it. Just looking for info on the liquid pro, has anyone tried it, did it work, did they get gas etc. BTW pro powders give gas to ‘alot’ of people who use them. The problem has to be in the composition in some of these products. When I purchased the ON (which I dont use because I sleep with my girlfriend and I dont want to blow the sheets off the bed!) a guy standing next to me was loading up on creatine, bcaa etc said that he didnt like the product, or any for that matter, it gave him gas too, as with many others. And powders taste like crap. Enjoyable products make for a bigger market.

Mod Lisa Marie wrote:
Most people do not experience gas from drinking a protein shake. You should talk to your Dr about that. or get some full spectrum digestive enzymes or start making some Kefir. You may have some kind of problems with your gut not producing the bacteria it needs for digestion.

Just my 2 cents

Plain and simple fatc if collagen is listed first that means it is the most abundant ingredient and could be 99% of the product making it 99% useless. My other worry would be is this thing refridgerated etc the other protein even if not minimal after beign reconstituted long periods etc has to be ether very highly oprocessed and have a lot of addition tio make it not god bad ( your worried about the “Other” stuff, or its hardly there orvery minimal and likely degraded.

If you like it it works go for it but this is one crazy lil concept id question throwing my hard earned money into

Phill

[quote]Phill wrote:
Plain and simple fatc if collagen is listed first that means it is the most abundant ingredient and could be 99% of the product making it 99% useless. My other worry would be is this thing refridgerated etc the other protein even if not minimal after beign reconstituted long periods etc has to be ether very highly oprocessed and have a lot of addition tio make it not god bad ( your worried about the “Other” stuff, or its hardly there orvery minimal and likely degraded.

If you like it it works go for it but this is one crazy lil concept id question throwing my hard earned money into

Phill [/quote]

Good points. Very. I think these are the people who invented Actinase. They claim that 1/3 of this stuff is hydrolyzed protein.

Not a doctor, I am a welder. But I know that the big guys did not get that way off whey. But lots of food with carbs and cals. I have never finished a can of whey, bottle of amino’s etc. I was benching a lil over 400lb in high school. I am about 240 and really not trying to gain weight, but use something quality to help me beef my legs back up and feel at age 33 I could use some quality protein boost in my diet, I know that I am not getting enough to make any gains, and work ten hours a day and cannot eat like a pig especially at night because I dont want to get a gut.

Basically looking for something I can stomache and not fill my stomache with 200oz of gunk a day. Strong believer in real food proteins, but not a supplement basher. To me it is a good concept as I stated if the “shizz works”. Looking for something I can stomache, and have not found it in a powder, and dont want to be drinking curd all day.

Whey is the biggest selling stuff out there, but maybe only 1 of 10 people who buy it if that many ever finish a tub. And you have to take probably 300 grams of most of that crap to get the amount of protein in 3 chicken breast. All that shizz in your stomache. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Hmm. Have you tried Biotest’s Metabolic Drive? I know I was surprised at how good it tasted the first time I tried it. I can even drink it mixed with water instead of milk.

Anyway, to actually address the issue a bit, I think the liquid protein will be as effective or useful as the types of protein that it contains… so I’m not sure there is much difference unless the liquid delivery allows for something new.

Premixed and concentrated could certainly add extra convenience.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Hmm. Have you tried Biotest’s Metabolic Drive? I know I was surprised at how good it tasted the first time I tried it. I can even drink it mixed with water instead of milk.

Anyway, to actually address the issue a bit, I think the liquid protein will be as effective or useful as the types of protein that it contains… so I’m not sure there is much difference unless the liquid delivery allows for something new.

Premixed and concentrated could certainly add extra convenience.[/quote]

I’ll second this review.

Metabolic Drive Vanilla tastes great. Like a vanilla milkshake.

Also if you mix it with water you’ll cut down the gas and belch factor.

There was a thread about this product not too long ago:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1414929

But it didn’t get too far. The biggest complaint seemed to be cost. I’m not sure anyone really knows what it’s bioavailability is.

It does seem like a very convenient option, especially if you occasionally forget to rinse out your bottle after the last shake.

I use Metabolic Drive for supplementation and it mixes very easily with water, and it tastes and smells very good. It’s a little pricey compared to some of the stuff you can get in the 5lb tubs, but Biotest’s quality is top notch.