Liquid Eggwhites

Anyone tried liquid eggwhites before?
I just ordered some from this site.

It’s a bit expensive. What the hell. I’ll give it a try.

Don’t drink the liquid eggwhites … cook them instead.

Skip the canned stuff. Eat real eggs, you cannot beat the protein and other nutrients. They also cost a whole lot less.

It’s been proven that two eggs per day will have no harmful effect on cholesterol levels, if that is a concern.

Zeb,

How about three eggs a day? I’ve been eating three eggs per day, pretty much every day. I’m sure I won’t do this for an entire year, but I’ll do it for quite a while before switching up my breakfast meal again.

I’m not really concerned about it, as I know that it isn’t an issue (unless you already have cholesterol problems - genetically predisposed). But it’s funny that the studies show that two eggs per day is okay…but what happens if you go beyond that?

Don’t drink eggwhites! While only 1 in 20,000 eggs has dangerous levels of salmonella, you can only digest about half as much versus a cooked egg. Likewise, three egg yolks is probably okay (hell, I’ll regularly use six in an omelet) so long as you get some soluble fiber. Remember the (disproven) mantra: “Cholesterol turns into testosterone.” Go ahead, eat the pork brains.

This seems to come up every 6 months or so.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do;jsessionid=4E5A43BCBA71801609EB63F84BAAC8AF.ba13?id=467198

Eat whole eggs. Buy the Omega 3 eggs if you can find them.

It comes down to a matter of how much fat do you want in that particular meal? I’ll typically eat a couple of whole-eggs with a few servings of liquid egg white to make a big-ass omelete. That way I get some nutrient dense yolks & the saturated fat/ cholesterol. If I’m on some PH’s and I’m trying to limit total fat intake than I’ll scratch the whole-eggs altogether. Yet I still get high quality egg protein in that meal. Liquid egg whites simply alow one to be able to have a tight reign on their nutrition. They make it easier to custom tailer one’s diet.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Zeb,

How about three eggs a day? I’ve been eating three eggs per day, pretty much every day. I’m sure I won’t do this for an entire year, but I’ll do it for quite a while before switching up my breakfast meal again.

I’m not really concerned about it, as I know that it isn’t an issue (unless you already have cholesterol problems - genetically predisposed). But it’s funny that the studies show that two eggs per day is okay…but what happens if you go beyond that?[/quote]

Nate Dogg:

I think you are 100% correct!

If you have a Trader Joe’s in your area, you can get cartons of eggwhites there pretty cheaply – you can even get them at Harris Teeter around here for not much more, and Whole Foods has them as well.

As far as it goes, I agree with whoever posted above who said it depends on how much fat you want in that meal: Is it P+C or P+F? For a P+C breakfast I will sometimes make an omelet of eggwhites and fat-free cheese to go with my oatmeal and Canadian bacon.

I use the liquid eggwhites from these guys. If you read the directions you’ll see it’s safe to drink them without cooking them, they’re pasteurized.

[quote]thrasher wrote:
I use the liquid eggwhites from these guys. If you read the directions you’ll see it’s safe to drink them without cooking them, they’re pasteurized.[/quote]

The issue with uncooked eggwhites isn’t just microbial infection. Eggwhites contain a ton of avidin. Avidin tighly binds biotin (who we know and love), keeping you from absorbing it. This interaction is so substanital that there are many reported cases of egg-white induced biotin deficiency; it occurs quickly! Cooking the eggwhites denatures avidin, and avoids this nasty consequence.

If you want a bit more info, try

It seems that a lot of pro body builders use this product too.

I was skeptical, but after I read all the comments from the pros, that’s what pushed me over to trying it out.

I usually don’t eat eggs to offen for my protein source. Since it doesn’t really keeps me filled. I get hungry almsot immeadiately after I eat them.

I get filled more from chicken breasts.

Mayhem,

If you want lots of high-BV protein but don't want to pay for liquid egg whites, just buy normal eggs, take out the yolks, and scramble 'em. Eat a lot of them - the white contains less than half of the calories of the whole egg. I eat between 6 and 12 egg whites at a meal. This is perfectly doable (i.e., no digestive problems) as long as you SCRAMBLE them instead of hard-boiling them, and don't mind the taste.

[quote]JandersUF wrote:
thrasher wrote:
I use the liquid eggwhites from these guys. If you read the directions you’ll see it’s safe to drink them without cooking them, they’re pasteurized.

The issue with uncooked eggwhites isn’t just microbial infection. Eggwhites contain a ton of avidin. Avidin tighly binds biotin (who we know and love), keeping you from absorbing it. This interaction is so substanital that there are many reported cases of egg-white induced biotin deficiency; it occurs quickly! Cooking the eggwhites denatures avidin, and avoids this nasty consequence.

If you want a bit more info, try
http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic238.htm[/quote]

Avidin is removed from the liquid eggwhites when it is pasteurized.

Just curious…

How do “Eggbeaters” (which are readily available in most grocery stores) compare to these other products?

Mufasa

[quote]Ross Hunt wrote:
Mayhem,

If you want lots of high-BV protein but don't want to pay for liquid egg whites, just buy normal eggs, take out the yolks, and scramble 'em. Eat a lot of them - the white contains less than half of the calories of the whole egg. I eat between 6 and 12 egg whites at a meal. This is perfectly doable (i.e., no digestive problems) as long as you SCRAMBLE them instead of hard-boiling them, and don't mind the taste.[/quote]

Yeah, I was doing that, eating 6 eggwhites with a yoke but it was a hassle to separate them all the time. That’s why I though I would try out the liquid eggwhites.

Egg white coagulates between 144 and 149?F, egg yolk coagulates between 149 and 158?F and whole eggs
between 144 and 158?F. Plain whole eggs without added ingredients are pasteurized but not cooked by bringing
them to 140?F and maintaining that temperature for 3 and 1/2 minutes. According to the FDA Food Code, eggs
for immediate consumption can be cooked to 145?F for 15 seconds.
ref.
http://www.enc-online.org/f_a_q.htm

Sec. 590.570 Pasteurization of liquid eggs.

Table I--Pasteurization Requirements \1\

Minimum       Minimum
                                           temperature  holding time
         Liquid egg product               requirements  requirements
                                            ([deg]F.)     (Minutes)

Albumen (without use of chemicals)… 134 3.5
132 6.2

general ref.
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_04/9cfr590_04.html

*Look out!
“Avidin is not denatured at pasteurization temperatures. Cooking temperatures greater than 158 degrees F are required to denature avidin.”
ref:
Glenn W. Froning
Food Technology Advisor
American Egg Board

“Avidin can combine with biotin, one of the B vitamins which plays
an imports role in cell metabolism, and make it unavailable.” “a human
would have to eat 24 raw egg whites a day for biotin to be inhibited by
avidin”
ref:
Whitney Hanlon
Georgia Egg Commission
16 Forest Parkway
Forest Park, GA 30297

Pasteurization of liquid eggs.

egg whites 134 deg F for 3.5 min.
132 deg F for 6.2 min.

It is hard to tell in the prior post.

Bottom line: avidin in NOT deactivated as claimed by Egg Whites International.
http://www.eggwhitesint.com/healthfacts.htm