T Nation

Liquid Egg Whites?

Anyone ever tried this product? If so, what are your thoughts?

www.eggwhitesint.com/go/bodybuilding-protein

A bit on the pricy side. (If you have to order it mail order) The taste is a little different from egg whites you make your self. I think it is because of pasteurization any way, it is very convenient when you�??re in a hurry or traveling.

I have been a customer of this company for a while now and love the product. Yes, it’s a bit pricey, but to me, it’s cheaper than paying $3/pint for egg whites in the store. They are also super convenient with the pump as well.

Liquid egg whites are nice, but considering the 50% protein digestability/absorption it ends up not being a very efficient protein source.

AlexH

The best you can get…

http://www.lanaseggwhites.com/

[quote]Dandalex wrote:
Liquid egg whites are nice, but considering the 50% protein digestability/absorption it ends up not being a very efficient protein source.

AlexH[/quote]

I’d love to know your source on this as I hadn’t heard of that low of an absorption rate.

Thanks.

Sure thing,

Cooked egg whites have a digestibility of around 90% vs raw egg whites which have a digestibility of around 50%.

Digestibility of Cooked and Raw Egg Protein in Humans as Assessed by
Stable Isotope Techniques

The Journal of Nutrition
Pieter Evenepoel, Benny Geypens, Anja Luypaerts, Martin Hiele, Yvo Ghoos
and Paul Rutgeerts

Amount and fate of egg protein escaping assimilation in the small intestine of humans

Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 277:935-943, 1999.
Rutgeerts and Yvo Ghoos
Pieter Evenepoel, Dirk Claus, Benny Geypens, Martin Hiele, Karen Geboes, Paul Rutgeerts and Yvo Ghoos

Good eating,
AlexH
From a previous post of mine at

http://beta.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1608744

[quote]Dandalex wrote:
Sure thing,

Cooked egg whites have a digestibility of around 90% vs raw egg whites which have a digestibility of around 50%.

The Journal of Nutrition
and Paul Rutgeerts

Amount and fate of egg protein escaping assimilation in the small intestine of humans

Rutgeerts and Yvo Ghoos
Pieter Evenepoel, Dirk Claus, Benny Geypens, Martin Hiele, Karen Geboes, Paul Rutgeerts and Yvo Ghoos

Good eating,
AlexH

http://beta.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1608744[/quote]

Thanks. I’ll read them!

[quote]Dandalex wrote:
Sure thing,

The Journal of Nutrition
and Paul Rutgeerts

Rutgeerts and Yvo Ghoos

Good eating,
AlexH

http://beta.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=1608744
[/quote]

It actually looks like this website is saying the same thing you are… about digestibility…here’s an excerpt from it…

"Avidin, an enzyme found in raw egg whites, blocks the uptake of Vitamin B6 (Biotin) causing a vitamin deficiency. You must cook the egg white to neutralize the Avidin and allow your body to safely digest the protein and utilize all its Amino acids.

100% pure liquid egg whites from Egg Whites International, are cooked, and yet kept in a liquid state. They are heat pasteurized and salmonella tested. The pasteurization process heats the egg white to 134 degrees for 31/2 minutes. This proper temperature kills the salmonella and neutralizes the Avidin without damaging the protein, to allow the egg white to be digested safely by the human body.

When you cook an egg white to the point of scrambled eggs, 150 degrees or more, you are overcooking the protein and denaturing the true value of the protein. Therefore, 100% Pure Liquid Egg Whites are �??liquid�?? but not �??raw�??, making them the purest and most versatile form of protein, known to man, In The Entire World!"

Interesting that in there FAQ section they mention that the egg whites are not cooked.

How do you Pasteurize Egg Whites?
The Egg Whites are run through a series of heated tubes, almost like a big still, just hot enough to kill bacteria but not enough to cook the eggs. They are then tested for any signs of Salmonella bacteria.

Moreover, the notion of the overcooked egg whites with protein denaturation in scrambled eggs goes against the research that shows that regularly cooked eggs have significantly improved digestability/assimilation (which has no link with avidin which is only a concern and very minimal at that in terms of Vit. B6).

I have a bit of problem understanding there notion of cooked but liquid as the way cooking affects egg protein is by changing its properties which make it solid post cooking…maybe if you blended it a lot and added some water…

Anyway,
AlexH