T Nation

Liquid Diet for an Old Dog?

A friend of mine has a ~13 year old Pekingese, which has almost no teeth left, needs pills for its heart, stomach, and liver, and medicine for rebuilding/regenerating his intestinal lining…

Since it hates wet dog food and only “likes” the dry variety (even though he hardly eats even that), and since due to it being raised on dog food, and also not having teeth, raw meat would probably not be a good idea (open to suggestions, I’m not well-read on how a dog should eat),
I was thinking she could feed it protein shakes, with some added fat etc.
Would this be a good idea? (if the dog would like shakes…)

Thanks,
Eisen

feed it blood

Raw hamburger with some finely cut raw veggies mixed in (introduce this mixture with the dry food for a week, gradually tapering out the dry food).

This is how I feed my old dogs.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
feed it blood

[/quote]
You joke, but that’s actually a great recommendation.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Raw hamburger with some finely cut raw veggies mixed in (introduce this mixture with the dry food for a week, gradually tapering out the dry food).

feed it blood

[/quote]
[/quote]

I’m serious

If I was joking id say enema juice

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

feed it blood

[/quote]
[/quote]

I’m serious

If I was joking id say enema juice[/quote]

I am not sure about the details, but if it was a vampire enema, would that not be more or less the same?

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

feed it blood

[/quote]
[/quote]

I’m serious

If I was joking id say enema juice[/quote]

I am not sure about the details, but if it was a vampire enema, would that not be more or less the same?

[/quote]

We vampyres don’t have assholes so a vampyric enema doesn’t exist.

We vampyres don’t have assholes…[/quote]

So THAT’S why they’re always sucking each other…

Sometimes the most humane thing to do is put the dog to sleep.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

We vampyres don’t have assholes…[/quote]

So THAT’S why they’re always sucking each other…
[/quote]

Pretty much

[quote]overstand wrote:
Sometimes the most humane thing to do is put the dog to sleep. [/quote]

Good attitude. I’m sure you’d hope your family would put you down when you get false teeth.

[quote]overstand wrote:

I agree with this… especially when you consider the dog’s suffering. Many owners keep a dog hanging on at all costs because the owner can’t face losing a loved one. That’s really unfair to the dog you love.

[quote]Sterneneisen wrote:
A friend of mine has a ~13 year old Pekingese, which has almost no teeth left, needs pills for its heart, stomach, and liver, and medicine for rebuilding/regenerating his intestinal lining…

Since it hates wet dog food and only “likes” the dry variety (even though he hardly eats even that), and since due to it being raised on dog food, and also not having teeth, raw meat would probably not be a good idea (open to suggestions, I’m not well-read on how a dog should eat),
I was thinking she could feed it protein shakes, with some added fat etc.
Would this be a good idea? (if the dog would like shakes…)

Thanks,
Eisen[/quote]

Most dogs cannot handle lactose so shakes would have to be lactose free. Many dogs like cheese (Havarti, a high fat one, being a good choice).

Iron Dwarf makes a really good suggestion because slightly raw meat (finely ground) and slightly heated in a frying pan, is easier to digest for the dog.

You can add veggies to it (spinach with a bit of olive or coconut oil in a pan, heated lightly) and slowly faze out the dried food.

Also, as suggested, it it might be time to consider the humane act of putting the dog to sleep…as heartbreaking as it would be to lose their buddy after 13 years. That’s a long list of ailments you wrote down and since this isn’t your dog there might actually be more you are not aware of…

Good luck, hope you can help your friend out.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]overstand wrote:

I agree with this… especially when you consider the dog’s suffering. Many owners keep a dog hanging on at all costs because the owner can’t face losing a loved one. That’s really unfair to the dog you love. [/quote]

x3

If the dog has that many health problems it just might be time to let em go.

Thanks.

Putting the dog down is not an option…

Wouldn’t raw meat still have a large number of germs? Just asking, since this is a dog which lived on dog food until now, and, as I’ve read, this means his immune system is not adapted to disposing of germs etc. in raw meat.

Thanks.

Putting the dog down is not an option…

Wouldn’t raw meat still have a large number of germs? Just asking, since this is a dog which lived on dog food until now, and, as I’ve read, this means his immune system is not adapted to disposing of germs etc. in raw meat.[/quote]

You gradually introduce the raw foods over a week’s time.

Germs are not an issue for dogs. They have a highly acidic digestive system, quite adapted to eating a raw meat diet - sometimes contaminated - and this has not changed in thousands of years despite domestication.

So, the stomach acid is enough, no need for immune up-regulation?

AFAIK, even humans could be able to eat raw meat, but they’d need a shit-load of it, due to, among others, the caloric needs for up-regulating the immune system. (something along those lines)

So, the stomach acid is enough, no need for immune up-regulation?

AFAIK, even humans could be able to eat raw meat, but they’d need a shit-load of it, due to, among others, the caloric needs for up-regulating the immune system. (something along those lines)

[/quote]

If your dog was eating crap kibble all this time (usually a highly processed, unregulated “food” containing things like grains that a dog should never consume), then his old sick body might make improvements when natural raw foods are gradually introduced.

:slight_smile: