Liposuction For Former Fat Kids?

I’ve hit a plateau on losing the pudge, and I blame a combination of genetics and permanently created fat tissue from being fat all my life. Fat only shrinks when you “diet”, but it actually divides when you “bulk”, right? So, the only way out is surgery, right? I’m no longer really fat, but I don’t see a 6 pack yet, and I’ve considered liposuction because I am getting really sick of dieting and not getting any stronger.

I think you have a very bizarre view on physiology regarding this matter.

Unless you have thyroid problems, or other actual medical issues, you should be able to achieve a lean, muscular look (say at around 10% bf) without lipo.

Why don’t you post your stats? Height, weight, BF percentage. Also, post your diet and training program, and perhaps we can put together some advice for you to get you going in the right direction again.

Being 5’6’’ and 195 lb male = fat, and almost certainly with some permanent fat cells. I’ve been as heavy as 205, though. My “diet” has consisted of reducing the size of my 3 main meals, and using whey protein shakes in between them, since I’m too cheap for BCAAs and I could use the protein calories anyway.

There is no way Biotest Grow! Whey is just 46 servings, by the way: more like 66. It’s been a much better deal than I thought it would be. :slight_smile:

My lifts are the “big 3” plus bent over rows, shoulder presses, tricep presses, bicep curls, lat pull downs, sit ups, and that weird shoulder building exercise involving moving a dumbbell straight up like a Nazi salute that all the sw0le guys do.

I actually wonder if the most successful bodybuilders just do liposuction so they can do year-long bulking. Maybe that’s their secret to being huge. :wink:

It sounds like you already have your mind made up. Are you just waiting for someone to validate what you want to do?

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
Being 5’6’’ and 195 lb male = fat, and almost certainly with some permanent fat cells. I’ve been as heavy as 205, though. My “diet” has consisted of reducing the size of my 3 main meals, and using whey protein shakes in between them, since I’m too cheap for BCAAs and I could use the protein calories anyway.

There is no way Biotest Grow! Whey is just 46 servings, by the way: more like 66. It’s been a much better deal than I thought it would be. :slight_smile:

My lifts are the “big 3” plus bent over rows, shoulder presses, tricep presses, bicep curls, lat pull downs, sit ups, and that weird shoulder building exercise involving moving a dumbbell straight up like a Nazi salute that all the sw0le guys do.

I actually wonder if the most successful bodybuilders just do liposuction so they can do year-long bulking. Maybe that’s their secret to being huge. ;)[/quote]

Add Cardio. Can you run two miles with out stopping or walking? If not you are under performing on one of the basic “fitness” level measures. Work up to being able to run 6 miles non stop.

Alternate long distance cardio sessions with sprints, jump ropes and plyometrics. Run bleachers. That is a fat killer and a half.

Ride a bike but be sure you are peddling hard and not leisurely cruising around the trail.

Lifting weights is excellent and of course necessary for building strength and muscle mass. And it does burn calories. Muscles are great for eating calories being the energy consuming animals they are.

But if you are having a hard time losing body fat you simply aren’t doing enough. It isn’t your genes. You ate yourself fat and now you have a hard road back to fit. So walk, or run rather, right back down it!

Adding cardio will up your metabolism incredibly and at your supposed fitness level will burn oodles of calories as you do it.

Once you have lost the fat, the muscles you’ve built with weight training should be ok to maintain your new fitness level as long as you don’t dive head first in to snack cakes and fried foods again. You should of course still maintain some level of cardio training. Maybe 2 or 3 days a week of balls to wall cardio, just to keep your metabolism in check along with the weight training.

Instead of dumping thousands of dollars into a painful (and not always successful) surgery, how about you invest in a trainer or dietician that can work with you personally?

That way you may actually learn something that will help you even if you do decide to go ahead with the surgery.

How long have you been exercising and “dieting”?

I wouldn’t recommend surgery. I went from 285 to 180 and had loose skin. I had it removed and everything still looks weird and no six pack. I wouldn’t recommend I can’t say that enough.

I was in shape and could run 10 miles, box, dl 425, squat 395, clean 250. I ran sprints did plyos, flipped tires, threw kegs, you name it I tried it. I ate clean and only drank water and milk. I guess I just have shitty skin from being fat for most of my life. I guess we just have to deal with our actions, even though I might not look it with my shirt off I am in better shape then a lot of people around me.

Not sure what my BF got down to but it was low, but I always have what looks like a fat lower midsection. I got to the point that my cheeks were sunken in and I was lean everywhere except stomach. I might even have a body issue, loosing my stomach started to consume me.

I have come to the point that I realize I will probably never have a lean mid section. So I said fuck it and started power lifting and am going to go to 240 and try to lean out from there. I think I gain fat to easily though. In the past 45 days I have gained 16lbs. I figure I will then have enough muscle to fill out my skin which is still loose even though I had some cut off and am now 25lbs heavier.

I regret surgery but we make our own decisions, do what you think is right for you.

If you have the money and you have a good surgeon like Dr. Bruce Nadler, go for it!

There is only so much you can do with nutrition and training. If you have some areas that won’t go away and that bother you, I see no reason why you shouldn’t get some plastic surgery done.

Many professional bodybuilders, athletes and actors have done it. Just don’t use it as a cop out for poor nutrition or crappy training.

Oh yeah, read the Nelson Montana article, “Ab Etching” in the T-Nation archives.

I would agree with Nate Dogg. I might have just had a crappy surgeon, afterall I don’t think Iowa is a hotbed for plastic surgeons. Actually I am pretty sure I had a crappy surgeon.

That sucks Gravel. It looks like I’m doomed to being a powerlifter. :frowning:

I’ll still try and lose the weight, but that skin issue will almost certainly affect me, so I don’t think I’ll ever really have the “beach body”. It’s annoying to lose strength while losing weight and not look noticeably stronger until the really low percentages. So many pictures prove that.

Lipo is different from skin removal.

They can only remove so much fat through lipo at a time. If you aren’t already reasonably lean, lipo is not going to make you lean.

If you haven’t exhausted all your training options to lose fat, why are you giving up?

[quote]Higher Game wrote:
That sucks Gravel. It looks like I’m doomed to being a powerlifter. :frowning:

I’ll still try and lose the weight, but that skin issue will almost certainly affect me, so I don’t think I’ll ever really have the “beach body”. It’s annoying to lose strength while losing weight and not look noticeably stronger until the really low percentages. So many pictures prove that.[/quote]

Ignoring cardio is your problem. Do it and you will lose the weight healthily. Your skin is elastic and will adjust with the slow weight loss.

Also, Don’t eat like a body builder if losing weight is your goal.