T Nation

Lipid Results - After HRT

(Al here- the husband, lol)

I was curious what other guys my age were scoring on thier lipid profiles, (age 40) and also how much your profile changed after adding HRT… and also is my level looking ok?

I had it done before HRT, and then 6 weeks after my first injection.

Here is the comparison…

BEFORE
triglycerides: 64
total chol: 182
HDL: 52
LDL: 117
HDLC Ratio: 3.5

AFTER
triglycerides: 32
total chol: 174
HDL: 47
LDL: 121
HDLC Ratio: 2.6

this has been looked at 53 freggin’ times and not ONE PERSON has any comments about this subject or my question?

What’s the problem?

I think your numbers look good but what do I know my total chol is over 300.

Well, if you buy into the whole cholesterol level thing, then you still look fine. Even the ratio is somewhat OK. The triglycerides might be a little low, but I am not sure of the exact “good number” that you need.

So there you have it. HRT has not dicked you up and made you a perfect candidate for a heart attack. Oh wait, if your total goes below 180, your risk factor goes back up. And more than third of people who have heart attacks don’t have high cholesterol. Hrmmm.

Read this:

It will help. But nice numbers anyway. :slight_smile:

I think questioning doctors is a killer attitude. They’re practices and preachings SHOULD be questioned by us.

But saying that cholesterol levels are irrelivant, that fatty food is fine, and that heart attacks are not caused by our diet is basically just STUPID. Diet effects body health first and foremost. We don’t need proof or doctors statistics to know that. That’s just a DUH common sense thing.

So if it makes you feel better to say cholesterol and diet don’t matter, knock yourself out. That guys article is just as much sensationalism and propoganda as what he’s cracking on.

LOL

BTW…

There was a time in my 20’s when I was a true vegetarian umm-(vegan) I think they call it. I did it for 3 years because my wife was doing it.

I felt better physically during those 3 years than all the other 37 combined.

I’ll take my opinions from personal experience.

I don’t eat that way now (and although I eat the standard “healthy” weightlifters diet) I DON’T feel half as good as when I was vegan.

Our bodies tell us most of what we need to know.

Cholestrol levels change usually lower with test.
So why don’t you go back on the vegan diet?
Bill Pearl was a vegetarian.
Dr. Tim

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Cholesterol levels are unimportent.
What was your Highly Sensitive C Reactive Protein?

Cholesterol levels to low are bad for test production. But since your on test…

[quote]tawney wrote:
I think questioning doctors is a killer attitude. They’re practices and preachings SHOULD be questioned by us.

But saying that cholesterol levels are irrelivant, that fatty food is fine, and that heart attacks are not caused by our diet is basically just STUPID. [/quote]

Diet does matter but cholesterol is not necessarily a factor in predicting heart problems. See “The Cholesterol Myth” by Dr. Ravnskov:

By the way, he is not alone is arguing against the current interpretations of cholesterol.

There is USUALLY nothing wrong with eating fatty foods…good fatty foods that is, like eggs, meat, coconut oil, etc. etc. See the wonderful book:

“Good Calories Bad Calories” by Gary Taube.

Here is a link to a rather long interview with him by Seth Roberts:

The more one reads the more one realizes that some of the sacred cows of medicine were arrived at by bad science. The scientists who pushed the low fat, high carb diets fell in love with his theory and chose to only look at studies that confirmed it. Through politics he managed to get his pet theory to be made official dogma through the McGovern Committee.

I was one with a strong response. Total cholesterol went from 270’s to 206 with TRT. HDL did not change.

entheogens, I read your link, thanks, it’s quite lengthy and will require a re-read and more of my time, but on the first page I read this:

“There is no evidence that too much animal fat and cholesterol in the diet promotes atherosclerosis or heart attacks. For instance, more than twenty studies have shown that people who have had a heart attack haven’t eaten more fat of any kind than other people, and degree of atherosclerosis at autopsy is unrelated with the diet.”

This is statement is just totally freggin’ dumb propoganda. It doesn’t de-bunk a long held scientific belief, it’s just sensationalism in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Diet and heart attacks ARE LINKED TO ONE ANOTHER LIKE A WHORE AND HER PIMP- trust me.

[quote]tawney wrote:
entheogens, I read your link, thanks, it’s quite lengthy and will require a re-read and more of my time, but on the first page I read this:

“There is no evidence that too much animal fat and cholesterol in the diet promotes atherosclerosis or heart attacks. For instance, more than twenty studies have shown that people who have had a heart attack haven’t eaten more fat of any kind than other people, and degree of atherosclerosis at autopsy is unrelated with the diet.”

This is statement is just totally freggin’ dumb propoganda. It doesn’t de-bunk a long held scientific belief, it’s just sensationalism in the OPPOSITE DIRECTION. Diet and heart attacks ARE LINKED TO ONE ANOTHER LIKE A WHORE AND HER PIMP- trust me.

[/quote]

Actually, you’re dead wrong. There is no correlation to ingestion of animal fats and heart disease in physically active individuals. What the hell do you think we evolved on? See it’s thinking like this that keeps us in the dark ages from a dietary perspective. The correlation lies between chronic CV inflamation caused by chemically processed foods and chronic over consumption of simple sugars.

Eat clean organic foods - ie meats, fruit, nuts, seeds and vegetables, and let the chips fall where they may. I can guarantee that heart disease will be the least of your concerns. Oh, BTW I come from a long line of obese heart diseased/damaged individuals and am heathlier than anyone I know. I practice what I preach. Take a look at the pix in my profile. Not bad for someone 2 years your elder, eh?

DJ

[quote]tawney wrote:
It doesn’t de-bunk a long held scientific belief.

[/quote]

Can one de-bunk a belief? After all, it is based upon belief and not fact…

[quote]tawney wrote:

[/quote]

Well, one declarative statement does not prove anything. It is the science that such a statement stands on that makes the statement true, false or partially one or the other.

I don’t understand why you think it is dumb. Nobody is saying that diet isn’t related to heart disease. We are saying that fat consumption, in most cases, is not the cause of heart disease, nor is there a strong correlation.

If you are really interested in getting the other side of the story, read the books I mentioned in my first posting. After reading one or both of those books, if you still feel that it’s a “dumb” argument, please return here to argue your point.

“I practice what I preach. Take a look at the pix in my profile. Not bad for someone 2 years your elder, eh?”

I’m not sure what this was said for? LOL I am 40, my wife is 32, so if I am to understand that you are 42 and slipping in a brag, that’s cool. You look pretty good for 42 if that’s what you’re asking, but not good enough to tell me to go look at your profile. I just posted my pics on my profile too. Then I stared at yours, then stared at mine… then thought to myself… so what’s your point? lol

“I don’t understand why you think it is dumb. Nobody is saying that diet isn’t related to heart disease. We are saying that fat consumption, in most cases, is not the cause of heart disease, nor is there a strong correlation.”

Yes, I understand perfectly what you are saying and yes I think it is dumb. I think there’s probably some people in the cemetary who think it’s dumb now too. I also think you should qualify “all” of what you are agreeing or disagreeing with. The statement I disagreed with reads:

“There is no evidence that too much animal fat and cholesterol in the diet promotes atherosclerosis or heart attacks.”

This statement also clearly states too much dietary cholesterol.

let’s just agree to disagree. peace and love, seriously. :wink: