T Nation

Lipid Panel Help

Got a lipid panel done the other day and it seems some of my numbers are off. Specifically My HDL or good cholesterol. I don't know a lot about this stuff since my results are always fine, but this is the first time i Have had one done on cycle.
I am on
test 500mg a week
dbol 30mg ed Just stopped 4 days before the test
adex .5 eod

Here is my panel from the other day
Cholesterol Total 139
HDL 25
LDL 104
Non HDL 114
Triglyceride 52
Chol risk ratio 5.6

Here is my panel from last year not juicing
Cholesterol total 142
HDL 48
LDL 83
Non HDL 94
Triglyceride 57
chol risk ratio 3.0

SO a couple of things to note. My cheat day was the night before the test and I knew I had to fast for 12 hours so pigged out on some fast food. Could that throw the test off a little?
I have did a little research tonight and it seems adex actually lowers hdl. Would I be better of trying to run nova on instead of adex?
Lastly should I be worried about any of these numbers? DO they usually rebound well? I think I had one or two cycles in before the test i posted 2nd, I just wasn't on at the time.

Yes consuming foods, especially fast foods that contain lots of cholesterol and saturated fats, before you get lipid bloodwork could throw your results off indeed. Typically, it’s recommended to fast 12hrs prior, a highly active individual can get away with 8hrs.

Also, get your diet on point! You need to be consuming healthy fatty acids to balance your HDL and LDL levels. Nuts, fish, and eggs are a good choice.

[quote]leadhead wrote:
Got a lipid panel done the other day and it seems some of my numbers are off. Specifically My HDL or good cholesterol. I don’t know a lot about this stuff since my results are always fine, but this is the first time i Have had one done on cycle.
I am on
test 500mg a week
adex .5 eod

Cholesterol Total 139
HDL 25
LDL 104
Non HDL 114
Triglyceride 52
Chol risk ratio 5.6

Cholesterol total 142
HDL 48
LDL 83
Non HDL 94
Triglyceride 57
chol risk ratio 3.0

SO a couple of things to note. My cheat day was the night before the test and I knew I had to fast for 12 hours so pigged out on some fast food. Could that throw the test off a little?
I have did a little research tonight and it seems adex actually lowers hdl. Would I be better of trying to run nova on instead of adex?
Lastly should I be worried about any of these numbers? DO they usually rebound well? I think I had one or two cycles in before the test i posted 2nd, I just wasn’t on at the time.

[/quote]

androgens and AI’s typically throw off your cholesterol levels.

do not use a SERM on cycle, as it will not lower estrogen, but simply prevent it’s action.

i would recommend toremifine for PCT, as it has been shown to raise HDL and has a better overall effect on cholesterol levels than the other SERMs.

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]leadhead wrote:
Got a lipid panel done the other day and it seems some of my numbers are off. Specifically My HDL or good cholesterol. I don’t know a lot about this stuff since my results are always fine, but this is the first time i Have had one done on cycle.
I am on
test 500mg a week
adex .5 eod

Cholesterol Total 139
HDL 25
LDL 104
Non HDL 114
Triglyceride 52
Chol risk ratio 5.6

Cholesterol total 142
HDL 48
LDL 83
Non HDL 94
Triglyceride 57
chol risk ratio 3.0

Lastly should I be worried about any of these numbers? DO they usually rebound well? I think I had one or two cycles in before the test i posted 2nd, I just wasn’t on at the time.

[/quote]

do not use a SERM on cycle, as it will not lower estrogen, but simply prevent it’s action.

i would recommend toremifine for PCT, as it has been shown to raise HDL and has a better overall effect on cholesterol levels than the other SERMs.[/quote]

Thanks for the response cycobushmaster. I was hoping you would respond as you seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. I will look into toremifine. Would you suggest I do anything while on cycle to mitigate the effects of this other than regular dietary advice such as good fats, fish oil and niacin. My diet is usually on point just not the day before test lol.
From what I read androgens slightly lower hdl and the use of an AI reduces it on average 25% more.

That is quite a large number and is making me wonder why people with bad cholesterol even take them. The only sides I usually get from running a dbol and test cycle are water retention and a little bacne during pct. Would you recommend the lowest adex dosage possible to still get the ai effects but mitigate the effect on the lowering of hdl cholesterol? I guess I am trying to ask which is worse higher estrogen or hopefully temporary low hdl?

[quote]leadhead wrote:

[quote]cycobushmaster wrote:

[quote]leadhead wrote:
I am on
test 500mg a week
adex .5 eod

Cholesterol Total 139
HDL 25
LDL 104
Non HDL 114
Triglyceride 52
Chol risk ratio 5.6

Cholesterol total 142
HDL 48
LDL 83
Non HDL 94
Triglyceride 57
chol risk ratio 3.0

[/quote]

i would recommend toremifine for PCT, as it has been shown to raise HDL and has a better overall effect on cholesterol levels than the other SERMs.[/quote]

Thanks for the response cycobushmaster. I was hoping you would respond as you seem pretty knowledgeable about this stuff. I will look into toremifine. Would you suggest I do anything while on cycle to mitigate the effects of this other than regular dietary advice such as good fats, fish oil and niacin. My diet is usually on point just not the day before test lol.
From what I read androgens slightly lower hdl and the use of an AI reduces it on average 25% more.

That is quite a large number and is making me wonder why people with bad cholesterol even take them. The only sides I usually get from running a dbol and test cycle are water retention and a little bacne during pct. Would you recommend the lowest adex dosage possible to still get the ai effects but mitigate the effect on the lowering of hdl cholesterol? I guess I am trying to ask which is worse higher estrogen or hopefully temporary low hdl?
[/quote]

well, it’s prolly easiest to get bloodwork and use an AI to get you in the range that’s healthiest 20-30). too low, and the risk of bone issues go up, and too high, and the risk of stroke goes up… since you’re obviously concerned about managing your overall health, i’d suggest just getting the bloodwork done and manage your estrogen more exactly instead of making an educated guess…

btw, here’s a good study that shows the various effects of testosterone on normal men, to include cholesterol: http://ajpendo.physiology.org/content/281/6/E1172.figures-only

EDIT: FWIW, i’d been doing some digging on the effects of AI’s on men, and they don’t seem to be nearly as detrimental on cholesterol as they are for women…

Letro might be the worst, with Aromasin in between and Arimidex having a minimal effect. (and that would be at full therapeutic doses, not the lower doses that AAS users tend to use/need).

I just gave the same advice to someone else, increase your intake of non saturated fats, i.e. fish oils, flaxseed, mac oil, and try to lower your sat fat intake. Also increase your fruit and vegetable intake as the natural source of fiber has been shown to also help lower LDL and raise HDL. Usually these can be controlled by diet and supplementing multi vitamins, coq10…etc