Linebacker Training?

recently i was switched from safety to outside linebacker, and all off season i have mostly been training to be a safety…so i am in need of a specific workout designed for linebackers (primarily lower body)

What level of football? high school…college?

What is your height, weight, vertical jump, broad jump, bench, squat, 40yd dash, strengths, weaknesses, etc., etc? Give us some info so we can help you out

Well if your user name has anything to do with your nightly habits you need to get that under control…fuck alcohol, its time to get huge

Squats
Hang Cleans
Romanian Deadlifts
Chinnups
Dips

Flip tires
Push cars

Run sprints 8 x 60 yarders

L Drills, Pro Agilities, Box Drills, M Drill,

Jump Rope

EAT EAT EAT

If you give it everything you got every day it is impossible to fail.

First: im a senior in high school
Second: im 5’7’’ 175, i dont know my vertical or broad jump but id say its above average for my age, my bench is at 285, my squat i havent maxed in a while but would be around 350ish my 40 is a consistent 4.7…and strengths and weaknesses, do you mean football wise or lifting wise?
Third: my last name is yaeger and no i dont drink or smoke or anythin like that

THANKS FOR EVERYTHIN SO FAR KEEP POSTIN

For speed, do lots of 20 yard shuttles. You need a quick change of direction speed as a linebacker.

don’t waste your time doing shuttles or any change of direction drill as the technique in the drill won’t be anything like what you do any a game. the way to be quicker in changing direction is to improve the amount of force you’re applying into the ground and the speed at which you’re applying it.

go get a tape measurer and measure your broad jump so we can help you out. how do you know your squat is “350ish”?

what kind of training have you been doing the last few months?

also, what kind of scheme do you guys run?

well i estimated my squat to be around 350ish because the last time i did max it was 325 and ive only gotten stronger and the training ive been doing i lift monday and tuesday then wednesday i work with a trainer mostly agility work but also some strength but no weights and then lift again thursday friday saturday and lately ive shortened my reps to lift for strength but during the season im gonna lift lighter, but camp ends this week and i wanna hit my legs pretty hard…and we run a 4-3

[quote]yaegerbomb22 wrote:
well i estimated my squat to be around 350ish because the last time i did max it was 325 and ive only gotten stronger and the training ive been doing i lift monday and tuesday then wednesday i work with a trainer mostly agility work but also some strength but no weights and then lift again thursday friday saturday and lately ive shortened my reps to lift for strength but during the season im gonna lift lighter, but camp ends this week and i wanna hit my legs pretty hard…and we run a 4-3[/quote]

We run a 3-5 (our most outer 2 are coached as different postitions, but they are essentially LBs), and I play middle.

I would recommend doing some Olympic lifts as they force you use apply a lot of power to actually complete them, and as a linebacker, you will need to be able to apply a lot of power when you are tackling.

I would recommend doing some pass rush drills if your defense ever puts their outside LBs on the line.

Also, when you lift, lift fast, not slow. Focus on gaining power and strength. I would also do some front squats.

Ive started middle linebacker in AAAAA football at 180lbs, and i sure as hell wasnt strong as others. Lots of squats and lunges. do a lot of 20-30 yard sprints. do deadlifts if ure not doin em.

being able to see the openings and reading the offensive lines helped me a lot. if the line is heavy on their hands, its a run. if a guard is sittin further back than the tackle, he’s probably gonna pull. good luck bro

Were you looking for a secret lift that Brian Urlacher does that will make you a great linebacker? Read the articles on this site and focus on getting stronger and faster. Don’t worry about how much you bench and focus on how much you can clean, snatch, deadlift, and front squat. Go up to the field and sprint. Run 10 40yd dashes with 30 sec. rest or 100 yd sprints with min. rest. You can’t think and react if you can’t breathe.

nah i wasnt lookin for the one secret lift, but im familiar with the Olympic lifts but i was wonderin if anyone knew any other lifts not as popular as squats and power cleans and all that but im gettin a lot of good tips so thank you

With your teams scheme will you be in coverage most of the team or blitzing or what? Strong or weak side?

Do short sprints (20-30yd) from push up position, sideways turn and sprint, jump one way then sprint, etc, etc. Lots of jumps and bounds with both legs and single leg jumps. Jump one way then change direction on the ground and jump another way, etc. do medicene ball tosses/throws. Be athletic. stay away from stuff like 100yd sprints, those are pointless for you. same with the oly lifts, you dont need them yet. you’ll get plenty stronger and faster but jumping, squatting, and sprinting.

do cardio 4-5x a week at 120-130bpm. continue to get stronger but don’t worry about that as much as your sprints and jumps. if you’re going to be blitzing a lot you need to work on your hand-to-hand combat skills!!!

Deadlift, then deadlift, then do some clean and jerks, then deadlift, then front squat, then deadlift

5x60%
4x70%
4x3x80%

Also, Try to practice alot with the o-line, they are your new enemy and best friends. Watch your teams line for cues as to whats coming, and get a feel for the rhythm of the game inside the box. And start volunteering as their blocking dummy, shedding a 260 lbs guard with good feet is alot different from shedding a 175 lbs receiver.
and like ndx said…EAT,EAT,EAT
try to get to a thick 190-200
also, because of your height, start doing some weighted jumps, lightweight, then lightweight onto a box, then heavierweight…you are relatively short so you need to get that vertical up and get your body accustomed to the weight of pads, sweat, rain, and hopefully another few pounds of bodyweight.
if youy can talk to a local powerlifter, they can steer you in the same direction i am going with this, i am a competitive lifter who last time was evaluated for a study was 290 lbs. with about a 22 inch vert jump and a 4’9" 40.
another spot to focus on is core, work on your stability and ab strength, dynamic and static

well as far as scheme, im the strong side outside linebacker and rarely do i ever blitz…and just curious lsupowerdc, you seem to emphasize deadlifts more than anything, why is that?

[quote]yaegerbomb22 wrote:
well as far as scheme, im the strong side outside linebacker and rarely do i ever blitz…and just curious lsupowerdc, you seem to emphasize deadlifts more than anything, why is that?[/quote]

Strong back and good lift to strengthen your entire body. Trust me, when your back is weak (mine got really messed up), you cannot even walk, so forget playing LB.

[quote]duck_dodger23 wrote:
don’t waste your time doing shuttles or any change of direction drill as the technique in the drill won’t be anything like what you do any a game. the way to be quicker in changing direction is to improve the amount of force you’re applying into the ground and the speed at which you’re applying it.

go get a tape measurer and measure your broad jump so we can help you out. how do you know your squat is “350ish”?

what kind of training have you been doing the last few months?[/quote]

I have to disagree with this. If doing things like a 5-10-5 and cone drilles, etc. One can develop in-game quickness. If you’re doing them properly you’re learning to accelerate from a dead stop and decelerate, which are huge in football.

Learning how to apply force coming out of a cut is huge for a linebacker as well if there is a cutback or you get sucked in and have to adjust to a play. while you no doubt have to decrease contact time and increase the force you’re applying, I wouldn’t say change of direction is a waste of time.

Thanks to everybody, but im going on a cruise tomorrow so i will get back to everyone when i get back

[quote]martyh wrote:
duck_dodger23 wrote:

what kind of training have you been doing the last few months?

I have to disagree with this. If doing things like a 5-10-5 and cone drilles, etc. One can develop in-game quickness. If you’re doing them properly you’re learning to accelerate from a dead stop and decelerate, which are huge in football.

Learning how to apply force coming out of a cut is huge for a linebacker as well if there is a cutback or you get sucked in and have to adjust to a play. while you no doubt have to decrease contact time and increase the force you’re applying, I wouldn’t say change of direction is a waste of time.[/quote]

Yes, I agree here; using the logic that “you don’t move like this in a game” would mean that you would need to stop doing any exercise except play football… because that’s the only way you move in a game. Of course that’s stupid…