Linear Progression Towards Athleticism

Hey guys, i’m relatively new to this forum and i’m impressed with how knowledgable the contributors are as well as how cool of a community this is.
Here’s some information about me
Height: 5’10 Weight:160 Training Experience: limited
Lifts: Bench 150x3 Squat: 150x9 Deadlift: 300 max OHP:90x7 Pull-ups: from dead hang 7(chest to bar)
shows how inexperienced i am haha

Goals: Gradually develop athletic qualities, Jump High and Hit hard.
Diet: I’m currently following the principles layer out in John Berardi’s “Grappler Nutrition”

I’d like more a discussion on how one would go about linearly developing total athleticism.

[quote]damonl89 wrote:
Hey guys, i’m relatively new to this forum and i’m impressed with how knowledgable the contributors are as well as how cool of a community this is.
Here’s some information about me
Height: 5’10 Weight:160 Training Experience: limited
Lifts: Bench 150x3 Squat: 150x9 Deadlift: 300 max OHP:90x7 Pull-ups: from dead hang 7(chest to bar)
shows how inexperienced i am haha

Goals: Gradually develop athletic qualities, Jump High and Hit hard.
Diet: I’m currently following the principles layer out in John Berardi’s “Grappler Nutrition”

I’d like more a discussion on how one would go about linearly developing total athleticism.[/quote]

Forget about linearly and just focus on the athleticism. That’ll stop you limiting yourself to anything that isn’t linear.

Getting stronger won’t hurt. Also faster. I haven’t a clue about how to develop athleticism, and to be honest I’m really not even sure what it means.

But, if you just want to jump high and hit hard I guess doing a bunch of jumping and hitting things is a great place to start.

I guess getting stronger would help with that but it wouldn’t be a main focus, and you could probably get away with limiting your strength work to squats, some kind of press and some kind of upper body pull. That’d leave you more room to work on jumping and hitting.

Look at Defranco’s work.

Combination or strength, power, hard conditioning and agility drills.

Then add sports specific skills to that.

Not sure what “linearly developing total athleticism” means but you can’t go wrong with the above.

5/3/1? Focuses on strength, conditioning, mobility and speed.

When you say jump high and hit hard, are you talking about on a playing surface in sport, or in combat. Are you wanting to avoid adding body weight to stay in a weight class, or is pure athleticism the goal and additional body weight is not a concern? Are you young and still growing?

Look up ‘5/3/1 for athletes’

Just my $0.02 -
If you are talking athleticism as being good at specific sports, you’ll get better at those by doing them.
When I first started playing sports in high school, I thought sports were about being stronger/ in better shape than anyone. I spent most of my time lifting and running stairs.
By the time I got to college I figured out it’s a skill (like anything, including lifting weights), and I’d be a better athlete by being better at my positions.
Now that that’s in the rear view (lonnnnnnnnnnnng gone!), the concepts still apply. Like everyone said, if you want to jump, then jump. If you want to be strong on specific lifts, practice those lifts. Etc!

Hitting hard: Power is created in the mind, rooted in the feet, developed in the legs, directed by the hips, transferred through the torso, and focused on where you are sending it.

Information

[quote]damonl89 wrote:
I’d like more a discussion on how one would go about linearly developing total athleticism.[/quote]

Crossfit?

If you play a sport, like someone else said, you need to practice it. Sports specific skills are developed on the field/court not in the weight room.

Kevin Durant is a great example. There was a time when he couldn’t bench 185, but he’s a monster on the court.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]damonl89 wrote:

Crossfit?

If you play a sport, like someone else said, you need to practice it. Sports specific skills are developed on the field/court not in the weight room.

Kevin Durant is a great example. There was a time when he couldn’t bench 185, but he’s a monster on the court. [/quote]

I was thinking crossfit’s goal is to go against a linear training style. Constant confusion of the body and muscles?

One way you could use some linear training is using an adjustable weight vest in plyometrics training.

Set up 4 boxes at increaing heights. The last box should be right at your maximum jump height. Spaced a couple feet apart. Jump onto first box, step off, and immediately jump onto the second box, until you complete all four jumps. 3 sets. The next plyometrics training day, do this wearing a 5# vest. Increase 5#s every time you successfully get through all 4 boxes all 3 sets. Be prepared to fuck up your shins. No pain, no gain.

Cone drills

Rope latters

Sprints

Bear crawls

Full body strength training 3 days and plyometrics/speed work 2 days. The next week 3 days plyometrics/speed work and 2 days strength training. Strength days use a 5x5 program.

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]damonl89 wrote:

Crossfit?

Kevin Durant is a great example. There was a time when he couldn’t bench 185, but he’s a monster on the court. [/quote]

I was thinking crossfit’s goal is to go against a linear training style. Constant confusion of the body and muscles?[/quote]

I thought their goal was to be in the best athletic shape or whatever… I really don’t know, but it’s basically the sport of working out right so I thought it kinda fit.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]mbdix wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]damonl89 wrote:

Crossfit?

I was thinking crossfit’s goal is to go against a linear training style. Constant confusion of the body and muscles?[/quote]

I thought their goal was to be in the best athletic shape or whatever… I really don’t know, but it’s basically the sport of working out right so I thought it kinda fit. [/quote]

Yeah, it would definitely help make someone more athletic.

Crossfits philosophy at first was you would get better results if you never allowed your body to know what was coming next. Therefore not adapt. And also not linear.

What’s kind of funny when you stop and think about it, is crossfit might be adapting. Take MMA for example. At first MMA was a contest that placed artist from different fighting styles against each other in battle. Now MMA is a Martial Art.

With The Crossfit games growing in popularity, the best crossfitter’s in the world also follow linear training procedures in some of their training.