Linear Progression/Rippetoe Exhaustion

I was curious how far most folks progressed before moving on from the beginner program detailed by Rippetoe. Specifically, what they were able to obtain in relation to body weight for each exercise. (Mostly just looking for anecdotal experience.) Thanks in advance.

Im still seeing progression but have moved to incremental increases on all the lifts but deadlift.

The main reason I was curious about this was in my current training I have reached lifting levels Rippetoe lists as Intermediate and Advanced loads for my body weight, BUT I’m still seeing improvements in the basic program.

Just wondering if others have found similar results.

I’ve been wondering this as well. I have gone from just under the untrained standards to somewhere between novice and intermediate on Rippetoe’s in the last ~4 months. I’ve recently started adding a few other exercises like dips and pullups.

I’m not really sure if this is a good rate of progress or not. I’m certainly happy that I have been seeing some gains in strength.

Like the OP, I’m still making some progress, but it has definitely slowed down a bit. Maybe the question is: At what point will you start seeing better gains from a more advanced routine?

[quote]xMillertimex wrote:
The main reason I was curious about this was in my current training I have reached lifting levels Rippetoe lists as Intermediate and Advanced loads for my body weight, BUT I’m still seeing improvements in the basic program.

[/quote]

I did his basic 3x5 program for 8 weeks. I don’t remember all of my lifts, but I remember going from 3x5x175 to 3x5x255 in bench. I experienced similar gains in the other lifts as well. Why did I stop? I suppose I started to get burned out. I would have to look back in the ol’ log files to pin point the reason. I think it had to do with the desire to lose weight, not so much stagnating. I do remember not adding 5 lbs each workout toward the end. And a strong desire to stop squatting period. Squatting 3 days/week was getting old. I do remember dreading each workout. That was about a year ago.

Not sure if that answers your question.

I do have a running log in Training Logs if you want to take a look.

Ya brother, your log was one one of a few that I was able to find that actually lasted long enough to make a comparison. Most of the ones I looked at would last a week and at most a month. The burnout makes sense as I was surprised you stopped at the gains you were making just looking through the log.

Im down to adding 2.5 pounds per exercise and I know shortly Im going to have to drop it to a pound or two. The other thing I noticed was that when I added in HIIT cardio sessions (running) 3 times a week my knees hated me… A LOT. I’m guessing this is from all the work they were getting. Anybody else have advice on incorporating cardio into this routine?

I was curious how far most folks progressed before moving on from the beginner program detailed by Rippetoe. Specifically, what they were able to obtain in relation to body weight for each exercise. (Mostly just looking for anecdotal experience.) Thanks in advance.

Im still seeing progression but have moved to incremental increases on all the lifts but deadlift.[/quote]

I say you keep going until linear progression stops on the squat. If possible, try to add smaller increments to the deadlift.

Ripp himself generally advises staying on the beginner program until linear progression plateaus. From there, you generally go to the Texas method and add higher rep isolation work if you’re more into the bodybuilding side of things.

Ya brother, your log was one one of a few that I was able to find that actually lasted long enough to make a comparison. Most of the ones I looked at would last a week and at most a month. The burnout makes sense as I was surprised you stopped at the gains you were making just looking through the log.

Im down to adding 2.5 pounds per exercise and I know shortly Im going to have to drop it to a pound or two. The other thing I noticed was that when I added in HIIT cardio sessions (running) 3 times a week my knees hated me… A LOT. I’m guessing this is from all the work they were getting. Anybody else have advice on incorporating cardio into this routine?[/quote]

I suppose it all depends on your goals. I would walk on the treadmill with an incline, between 3-3.5 mph.

I do remember my knees taking quite a hit. Of course, I’m 30 and overweight so that might have something to do with it.

[/quote]

Where do I find out Rippetoe’s lifting levels? I wanna see where I stand.

[quote]GoGoPlata47 wrote:
xMillertimex wrote:

Where do I find out Rippetoe’s lifting levels? I wanna see where I stand.[/quote]

Ive only found them at the back of the Practical Programming Book. If you cant find them online, just give me your body weight and your numbers for power clean, press, bench, dead, and squat.

I forgot gender.

[quote]GoGoPlata47 wrote:
xMillertimex wrote:

Where do I find out Rippetoe’s lifting levels? I wanna see where I stand.[/quote]

I believe these are the same.

Got from 154 to over 200 pounds on my bench (1rpm). I could squat over 200-250 1rpm surely, but never tried it. I stoped the program after 2 months because I sprained my back… the thing is, when I deadlift, my glutes don’t do any work, all the work is on the hamstrings (I got huge strong hamstrings) and the lower back (thus the spraining… deadlifting problem is still here, I’m working on it…

[quote]matko5 wrote:
the thing is, when I deadlift, my glutes don’t do any work, all the work is on the hamstrings (I got huge strong hamstrings) and the lower back (thus the spraining… deadlifting problem is still here, I’m working on it…[/quote]

Have you done any supine bridges? They really help you to learn to fire your glutes.

[quote]ninjaboy wrote:
matko5 wrote:
the thing is, when I deadlift, my glutes don’t do any work, all the work is on the hamstrings (I got huge strong hamstrings) and the lower back (thus the spraining… deadlifting problem is still here, I’m working on it…

Have you done any supine bridges? They really help you to learn to fire your glutes.
[/quote]

Sure have :slight_smile: It’s getting better and better. I also noticed lunges fire up my glutes like crazy. And I mean bodyweight lunges. Weird…

[quote]matko5 wrote:
Got from 154 to over 200 pounds on my bench (1rpm). I could squat over 200-250 1rpm surely, but never tried it. I stoped the program after 2 months because I sprained my back… the thing is, when I deadlift, my glutes don’t do any work, all the work is on the hamstrings (I got huge strong hamstrings) and the lower back (thus the spraining… deadlifting problem is still here, I’m working on it…[/quote]

Thanks for the response and its funny you mentioned spraining your back as I think I did this in my last session. I completely let everything go on a rep…