T Nation

Line Between Beginner and Advanced?

I'm wondering. When did you guys and girls stop treating your self as a beginner. What's the line between Beginner and Advanced. By that I'm not talking about XCelticX and Eliteballer advanced state but true advanced. (It's all in your head.)

I call it "intermediate" and I've been calling myself that for years now.

I'll be advanced when I'm continuously taking home 1st or 2nd place trophies in powerlifting.

Maybe also when I'm able to know, without a doubt, how to construct my routine and diet ideally for myself.

Yeah i think i like this. I'' place myself in the intermediate category. As of this last year i made an aweful lot of progress, especially in terms of knowledge. I avoid making newbie mistakes now and have a grip on most of the nutrition/training principles.

But, as SWR said, i don't bring any type of medal home, i don't win any contests and i haven't been able to pin point what works best for me in terms of nutrition/training. I guess it's just a matter of time and learning how your body reacts, which, can only be done through experimentation.

I'll consider myself advanced when i can do the above (except for the medals, don't really care about that) or when i can work my BF% out using a shoe!

it's what we call "intermediate".

not necessarily a beginner yet not advanced. I prefer Dave Tate's metric.

Shit -- Suck -- Good -- Great

I am somewhere between suck and good.

I don't think you can really simply call yourself "advanced" in bodybuilding. I think it is a title that others give you. I know I personally am very skeptical of personal trainers who aren't very developed, even if some may consider them to be "highly skilled". I think once people who do train seriously start looking at you and asking, "do you compete?" or saying things like, "damn", then you can start calling yourself advanced assuming you have learned a great deal about what works for your own body.

I would also just call myself intermediate. No one at the gym tries to offer me advice and I sure as hell don't offer anyone else advice, (unless they ask).

I once thought I was "advanced" when ProfX agreed with something I said...but then when I went around telling everybody here at work about it, they just looked at me with a confused look on their face.

LOL.

One is no longer in beginner status when you look at a question and think, "I can't believe they asked that!" However the reaction is to ignor the question or to flame them.

You graduate to advanced when you've come full circle and remember what it's like to be a beginner and then take the time to answer their questions. The advanced don't consider themselves advanced, but know they aren't beginners. We all are always learning.

:smiley:

I know enough to answer a lot of beginner questions.

But, I also know enough that the answers I do have lead me to a slew of different questions.

Anyway, on topic, I'm not certain I'll ever qualify as advanced. Intermediate has a nice ring to it.

There was a great thread about this some time ago, and now I can't find it, but these were some of the ideas that were mentioned.

You're moving from Beginner thru Intermediate and on to Advanced when:

Your logs are organized by year.
Other people arrange their schedule around your lifting.
You read more than you post, and you train much more than you read.

There were lots of others, and I don't know who wrote them. But they did make a lot of sense!
Hope someone will recognize them and chime in. Maybe ProfX ??
J.

I was wondering is there any line like in how much weight you can lift or something like that.

Alzo is the "lenght of service" important for going to "intermediate" state. I've been training for like Year or so ( hard for 8 months)and got great gains in strenght, muscle and mind. And people often ask me for tips on how to improve their workout and stuff, since no one managed to gain 38 lbs of mass (some fat) in 7 months.(lucky me)

I live in a small town and there are like 2 gym's in every street and a lot of people train and some of them serious, but none of them even herd of T-Nation, and the thing that it represents.

New ways of training, advices on nutrition, debunking myths, you know, everything. So basicly everybody use shity rutines, isolating excercises on mashines and old rutines like 8 for, mass, 12< for definition?(not everybody, but a great deal of people)

So when they see me doing weighted pull-ups and DL-s (beltless 2x bodyweight)that really scares people, deep squats weithout sraps or belt they get puzzeled.

Interesting because I probably considered myself to be intermediate level when it actually became complicated to get my program right.

I stopped considering myself a biginner when people started asking me for advice on training and nutrition, and wanted to know how I built myself.

I think i went from beginner to intermediate when I began questioning what I was doing, why, and how well it was working. trying to find better ways to do things and learning more. I try to learn as much as I can. that might be another way to tell- when you realize that there is soooo much you don't know!

Just curious why you think this? I for one and no huge guy by any standards, but I know others share your thoughts as well. Would be interested in your logic here.

Granted, I think one needs to be in shape (or practice what they preach), but does one have to be "developed" by your standards? Though developed is relative I guess.

If Poloquin were injured and couldn't exercise for a while or ever again, would his knowledge be worthless?

I should add, I am just looking for your opinion here. The above wasn't an attack on you, so let the "nice" Prof X make a reply :stuck_out_tongue:

No, but he can allways show you a picture were he's built better that 95% PT.

Im still a little nub, but im confident the line behind beginner, intermediate and advanced is the bridge between the knowledge you have and the effects on your own body that you have gained from it. Progress and knowledge, I guess.

Echo this!
He's dead on.

Echo that!
She's on too.