T Nation

Limited Weights Available

Making strength gains possible on limited weights?

I used a council run gym, which where I am means that the Olympic rack which is the only place we are supposed to dead-lift has plates totalling 170kg.

Sometimes I can grab some small plates (which we shouldn't) and top out the bar to 210 or so. Now, I can lift 210 for singles or sometimes doubles beltless with good form.

Is there any way, some kind of magic workout formula that I could use to keep myself as strong as possible from the limited weights available?

Maybe doing X amount of lifts with limited rest?
Maybe lifting 2 or 3 times a week at slightly lower numbers?

Just get more reps in with 170kgs, problem solved. I’m gonna assume your max is somewhere around 220-230 since you do 210 for singles/doubles. Hell, you can’t get strong doing 1-2 reps forever. When you can get 20 reps in with 170 or something like that, that’s probably when you should start worrying or get a new gym.

You can try getting more reps at 210 or working up to pause reps with that weight. You can also add bands or chains in the future. Maybe even a weighted vest. Eventually it’ll be tough to get the intensity you want. Pulling heavy straight weights from the ground occasionally will give you an idea of where your competition lift is at and whether the variations are useful.

[quote]samue1son wrote:
Sometimes I can grab some small plates (which we shouldn’t) and top out the bar to 210 or so. Now, I can lift 210 for singles or sometimes doubles beltless with good form.
[/quote]
Are you not allowed to deadlift more than 170kg? If there are more plates in the gym then use them when you need to. Otherwise find another gym or you will never get very strong, high reps carry over to 1rm strength much less than heavy weights.

Try vince gironda 8x8 honest workout. You can get pretty insane results if you change pace sometimes.
OR lift weight 65% of your current max very fast 1x8, 2 times week

[quote]samue1son wrote:
Making strength gains possible on limited weights?

I used a council run gym, which where I am means that the Olympic rack which is the only place we are supposed to dead-lift has plates totalling 170kg.

Sometimes I can grab some small plates (which we shouldn’t) and top out the bar to 210 or so. Now, I can lift 210 for singles or sometimes doubles beltless with good form.

Is there any way, some kind of magic workout formula that I could use to keep myself as strong as possible from the limited weights available?

Maybe doing X amount of lifts with limited rest?
Maybe lifting 2 or 3 times a week at slightly lower numbers?[/quote]

Have you looked at the 5/3/1 program? Despite the name there is not a ton of single rep work in the program (mostly 3’s, 5’s, and even some higher reps).

I would assume that for PR attempts you can probably sneak over some weights or just go to a different gym for that - but you should not be maxing all of the time.