T Nation

Limited Govt Possible?

For you conservatives and libertarians out there, Cato Unbound is having a symposium of essays on the topic “Is Limited Government Possible.”

Here’s a link to the issue: http://www.cato-unbound.org/issues/is-limited-government-possible

Here’s a description:

If we are going to have a government at all, is there any way to keep it limited to a few basic tasks, or must we reconcile ourselves to an out-of-control leviathan? Can well-designed constitutions keep government reined in, or is any set of limiting rules bound to be undermined over time? Suppose we can�??t realistically expect a classical liberal limited government. It remains that existing liberal democracies are not unlimited. Aren�??t there better and worse ways for big government to be big? Do classical liberals and libertarians have anything constructive to say about this? Or should they rather devote themselves entirely to railing against the illegitimate status quo?

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
For you conservatives and libertarians out there, Cato Unbound is having a symposium of essays on the topic “Is Limited Government Possible.”

Here’s a link to the issue: http://www.cato-unbound.org/issues/is-limited-government-possible

Here’s a description:

If we are going to have a government at all, is there any way to keep it limited to a few basic tasks, or must we reconcile ourselves to an out-of-control leviathan? Can well-designed constitutions keep government reined in, or is any set of limiting rules bound to be undermined over time? Suppose we can�??t realistically expect a classical liberal limited government. It remains that existing liberal democracies are not unlimited. Aren�??t there better and worse ways for big government to be big? Do classical liberals and libertarians have anything constructive to say about this? Or should they rather devote themselves entirely to railing against the illegitimate status quo?[/quote]

I say ‘railing.’

The Catotarians are questioning that which they promote?

People want stuff. Further more, they want their government to give it to them.

As long as the mind of the People is set on safety and security we will never be able to revert back to smaller government. “Railing against the status quo” by educating people on the principles of liberty is a step in the right direction.

Frankly, I do not believe government works no matter the size. There will always be people who are impinged by the big hand of “freedom” just as there will always be people who require that same hand to be protected against those very same freedoms.

I believe people must organize themselves and cooperate within their own communities but it does not require government to do so. It can be completely voluntary and anarchistic at the same time.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Frankly, I do not believe government works no matter the size. …[/quote]

Define “works”.

I prefer government to anarchy.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Frankly, I do not believe government works no matter the size. …

Define “works”.

I prefer government to anarchy.[/quote]

Then again, we’ve never given it a chance.

How would you know what you prefer if you’ve never tried it?

Define “works”.
[/quote]
Serves a purpose.

Zap Branigan wrote:

How would you know what you prefer if you’ve never tried it?[/quote]

I have never been shot in the head but I don’t want to try it.

Are you switching from a libertarian to an anarchist now?

LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Are you switching from a libertarian to an anarchist now?[/quote]

Libertarianism and anarchism are both philosophically related and I have always been an anarchist.

The philosophy of liberty (libertarianism) is rooted in anarchism. Absolute liberty requires absolute anarchism.

Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

Are you switching from a libertarian to an anarchist now?

Libertarianism and anarchism are both philosophically related and I have always been an anarchist.

The philosophy of liberty (libertarianism) is rooted in anarchism. Absolute liberty requires absolute anarchism.[/quote]

Absolute liberty is a myth, a fairy tale, and unattainable. I mean seriously think about the nature of a society with no limitations and ask yourself if this is a society you would want to raise a family in. There will always be limitations on some level because, as has been said, anarchy is not a plausible or sensible alternative.

A limited federal government however, now that is a concept in which I can support.

Minarchy is good. Anarchy, no.

LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Define “works”.

The irony is that in 99% of all situations you prefer anarchy, like everybody else, except the hardcore communists.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]orion wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Define “works”.

The irony is that in 99% of all situations you prefer anarchy, like everybody else, except the hardcore communists.

[/quote]

Wrong. Anarchy sucks.

orion wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Define “works”.

Wrong. Anarchy sucks.[/quote]

Really? You do not need the government to tell you how do eat, sleep, fuck, tie your shoes, phone, walk, talk, write, in fact of the myriad, in fact infinite possible human actions and interactions only a limited amount of number, i.e. a very small minority is regulated by the government.

Anarchic behavior is the norm and government regulations, even when possibly necessary, an exception.

[quote]orion wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
orion wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Define “works”.

Wrong. Anarchy sucks.

Really? You do not need the government to tell you how do eat, sleep, fuck, tie your shoes, phone, walk, talk, write, in fact of the myriad, in fact infinite possible human actions and interactions only a limited amount of number, i.e. a very small minority is regulated by the government.
[/quote]
It doesn’t do that. Your arguments are to often based on nonsense.

Wrong. Anarchy lasts for a day and then the gang with the most guns take over. Grow up.

orion wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
orion wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Define “works”.

Wrong. Anarchy sucks.

[/quote]
You have no idea what anarchy is.

I reiterate: you have no idea what anarchy is.

Zap Branigan wrote:
orion wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
orion wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

Define “works”.

Wrong. Anarchy sucks.

You have no idea what anarchy is.

Anarchic behavior is the norm and government regulations, even when possibly necessary, an exception.

Wrong. Anarchy lasts for a day and then the gang with the most guns take over. Grow up.

I reiterate: you have no idea what anarchy is.[/quote]

I know exactly what anarchy is and so does the rest of the world. That is why we avoid it.

Whatever way you try to twist the definition of anarchy to make it seem practicable, it is not.

Absolute freedom only exists outside of society.

“He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god.” - Aristotle

Monarchy.