T Nation

LIL J76's Journey to His 1st Competition

Been debating on doing this, but here we are…
Such a rookie at this, it is humbling, I have so much to learn still. When I say rookie, I mean infant stages, as far as competing goes. Started actually training for show in April, but now that I am balls deep into this and plan on winning whatever comp I enter. I decided to push it out to a Sept show. My conditioning was not going well until I got some help from some previous competitors.

My diet is simple and strict. For the last six weeks I have been doing higher rep sets with mid to lower weight focusing on 1sec explosions-3 sec negatives, 3 sec positives-3 sec negatives and sets of 6 second negatives. The rest between sets is minimal. I actually liked the routine because it was a rest from my usual training of just going heavy all of the time. It has however made me want to train heavy even more now! This next six week is a heavier training session, which is heaven to me!

Started out training in Nov and my weight was around 210, in the pic below I am at 185, still have a long way to go and lots of developing to do.

If you’re competing in September, you definitely will be able to come in peeled.

What does your diet look like right now?

You are looking good. Have some solid upper body mass, good lat width from the front, delts are looking pretty solid, and wheels look great already.

I’d say from what I can see from the front, your chest needs the most work, so I’d prioritize that a bit during prep.

Looking forward to seeing you progress bro!

Thanks E for the info and reply…

My diet is as follows… meals every 3.5 to 4 hrs. Wed, 1 grapefruit is added to mid and late meals, 1/4 brown rice is added to last meal. Sat is same but cheat meal added in…example is Steak and sweet potato.

Morning: 1/2 cup oatmeal, 2 tblspn of natural peanut butter, 1 scoop of protein, 8oz milk. Vitamins

Mid: Scoops of Protein, fish oil

Lunch: 5oz tuna, 1 wheat bread(was two last week), apple, 24 almonds. vitamins

Late: Scoops of protein, fish oil

Pre, Intra and Post workout
2scoops of protein

Last meal: 8oz lean beef, 3cups spinach, 1 cup broc.

Logged in.

As E said, you have plenty of time to get shredded. Just have to stay consistent.

I would die on your diet, must take some discipline to go so low carb.

Tim, I guess ignorance is bliss, I didn’t think it was that low.
here is the break down: Cals-2400 Carbs-174 Fat-80 Pro-260
The hardest part for me is not just going ballistic when I am a little hungry and smell some
good food.

Wed’s are my slight carb up day’s, never thought I would get excited about eating a half of a grapefruit between my big meals. I really never thought I would look forward to having brown rice! Then
there are Saturday’s, my “victory day”, I can go nuts if I want but have kept my cheat meals pretty respectable.

I have just about the same meals all day except for two, lunch and dinner. I found an authentic mex restaurant that serves the freshest steak tacos, I usually will have three or four. Then, for dinner is grilled veggies, sweet potato and red meat. Not gonna lie, when I first started the diet I did hit Mc D’s up. I got to thinking why i was doing that and ruining the progress I had made during the week, so I try to stay as close to the diet as I can.

#s do look a little low (for ME), but if you’re coming down SLOWLY, and maintaining size and strength, then ignore anything anyone else says as far as making changes.

You do have a good amount of size, definitely a bit unbalanced, BUT that can all appear very dramatically different when you tighten up more, so although I would indeed focus on bringing up your pecs all through the prep, I wouldn’t freak out about it at the expense of overall conditioning.

S

Stu,
I’m losing about 1 to 1.5lbs a week. Yeah, I definitely see the imbalances and I agree with you and E about the chest needing to be brought up. The imbalances are weird, even though I am left handed, all my power is on my right side. My right arm and leg are bigger than than the left. I have a ton of work to do, I realize that, but I am up to the task…

The pics are not the best, they are from my phone. The pics are a little tilted and I only had 10 seconds to set the camera and get into position and try to flex everything…That was pretty tough. lol

Dont know if its just the pose but dude are you squewed! Look how offline that picture on the wall is and your shoulders are lining up with it. Add to that your hips are tilted in the opposite direction and you look like i did a couple years ago (functional form scoliosis, pretty much fixed now though).

You got back pain? hope its just the pose, but had to say as just looking at that photo is making my back hurt lol. Good luck with the Prep though bud, ill be following

Putter,
I do have slight scoliosis, like 12% if I remember correctly. No, no back pain at all and yes the camera was balancing on the back of my couch at a slight angle and when the pic snapped I was leaning. I am not saying I have perfect alignment or posture but I don’ think I am that bad.

One thing for sure- you got some pretty awesome calves!

ToTheTop: Thanks! my best body part for sure…

Gained two pounds on a cal deficit, with no noticeable fat gains(even though I weigh myself all the time I am relying on the mirror more). In other words I am still leaning out. I don’t know if it is due to lifting heavier the past two weeks or the addition of a new supplement I am trying out. Either way, I am liking the results as long the fat stays off! I have been focusing on my left side a little more, doing just a little more work for each body part. My right side just seems to be a little thicker and bigger. I am also throwing in some extra sets on chest to try and bring it out.

The best thing so far to me(IMO), is that I have lost 20+ lbs and my strength has not really suffered. I have never really considered myself super strong, but I am strong,IMO. The last two weeks on chest I have completed my workouts and went back to hit 315,325,335 for singles on flat bench. I have just been trying to push and test myself to see how far I can take my physique to new places.

quick update… btw, I am not the best at daily updates(even weekly for that matter), but I will try harder.

12 weeks out! New pics mid next week.

So far I am still leaning out, but my weight has stalled around the 186-183 mark.
Changing my routine to 4x style training next week. I saw great results on it my first 4 weeks.
Diet is still zero’d in and cardio has increased a little. Added swimming to my training twice
a week for 45 mins.

Okay, so training for a competition is def mentally challenging, I will not lie and tell you that
giving up has not crossed my mind a few times. I have so much bullshit going on with my life right now,
but I plan on fighting though it. My inner demon keeps telling me to keep going so I can tell the nay sayers,
and even myself, F-U, I MADE IT! I went to my first competition last weekend and I was motivated! It was a NPC show, small venue but I fell in love with the atmosphere and everything instantly. The thought and challenge of competing is f-ing awesome. I can’t wait to step on stage and win. I actually know this is where I belong now, cheesy, but so true! I just wished I would have realized this years ago.

Best of luck and stay strong! It can be very mentally demanding but just stick it out, it will all be worth it on competition day!

[quote]Lil J76 wrote:
quick update… btw, I am not the best at daily updates(even weekly for that matter), but I will try harder.

12 weeks out! New pics mid next week.

So far I am still leaning out, but my weight has stalled around the 186-183 mark.
Changing my routine to 4x style training next week. I saw great results on it my first 4 weeks.
Diet is still zero’d in and cardio has increased a little. Added swimming to my training twice
a week for 45 mins.

Okay, so training for a competition is def mentally challenging, I will not lie and tell you that
giving up has not crossed my mind a few times. I have so much bullshit going on with my life right now,
but I plan on fighting though it. My inner demon keeps telling me to keep going so I can tell the nay sayers,
and even myself, F-U, I MADE IT! I went to my first competition last weekend and I was motivated! It was a NPC show, small venue but I fell in love with the atmosphere and everything instantly. The thought and challenge of competing is f-ing awesome. I can’t wait to step on stage and win. I actually know this is where I belong now, cheesy, but so true! I just wished I would have realized this years ago.
[/quote]

caught lifting the heavy 15’s…lol

back

front flex

front relaxed

side tri

crab