275 lbs 4x3

Squat
225 lbs 1x8
185 lbs 1x10

Pull Ups
5x8

DB Curls

BW Hip Thrusts

This was yesterday’s workout. I had a PT session earlier in the day for my chronic lower back pain/tightness. My first time going to a physical therapist for anything, and I didn’t gain anything new from it. Still, it was helpful to get professional confirmation that I properly assessed the cause of my lower back issues (no structural/disc issues, just tight/weak/inactive muscles). I have five more scheduled sessions. Was prescribed stretches and bodyweight exercises that I’ve already been doing over the years, but not as routinely as I should be. Hopefully I will be more disciplined with them now.

I had a great trip this weekend. Ate clean for the most part, except for one monster burger. I have a pic of me eating it somewhere, but in the mean time, here is an amateur iPhone picture I snapped of the full moon over Kilauea volcano

6 Likes

Tuesday AM, 6/13

Morning Weight: 194.6 lbs

Weight is staying consistent, and my stash of whey and BCAAs finally arrived in the mail. I had two beers yesterday while watching basketball, but for the most part have been able to keep my diet clean for the past month or so. While leaning out, I’ll mainly be looking to make improvements in the mirror and mobility; not expecting to make much strength gains over the next month. Priority number one is to alleviate this back tightness I’ve had since high school, which always compromises my form once I go heavy. I figure while focusing on my PT exercises I can do enough to also lean out and maybe even stimulate some hypertrophy, but will be staying away from anything above 85-90% of my maxes.

2 Likes

Tuesday PM, 6/13

Push press

95 lbs 1x3
145 lbs 1x2
165 lbs 1x1
185 lbs 1x1
195 lbs 1x1

OHP
135 lbs 1x6
95 lbs 5x10

DB Bench Press
90 lbs 1x8
100 lbs 1x8
110 lbs 1x6
95 lbs 1x8

BW Dips
1x20

Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Press
45 lbs 5x10 each side

BW DIPS
1x20

Tricep Extension Kine Tings

BW Dips
1x20

4 Likes

Wednesday PM, 6/14

Bent Over Barbell Row
135x8
155x8
175x6
195 2x6
135 3x10

Snatch Grip DL
135x3
185x3
225x2
235 3x2

Clean Grip DL
235 1x3, 1x6

Kayak Rows

Weighted Isometric Hip Thrusts

Curl Tings

Pull Ups + 10 second hang each rep
2x6
1x8
2x6

Glute Tings

4 Likes

Thursday, 6/15

Morning Weight: 193.6 lbs

Taking the day off today. Trying to not be too overzealous with my training and stick to this 2 or 3 on 1 off. My first month of the log I’d go 5-7 days without a day off. When I have the time I will go back and make a spreadsheet of all my numbers (totals and averages, intensities, frequencies, time off, etc.)

Overall been feeling pretty good. Not trying to let my weight dip anywhere below 192 (ideal morning weight for the next month is between 194-195), so not quite happy with my weight this morning but not gonna freak out about it either. Woke up feeling a bit flat and thin; just going to attribute it to being overly carb-phobic the past couple days trying to compensate for some bad meals I had in the prior days.

I generally do carb cycling, but I should probably start tracking it. Not gonna be counting macros meticulously, but even just journaling my own gauge of light, medium, and heavy carb days would be an improvement. Will try to get some update photos taken tomorrow.

3 Likes

Friday AM, 6/16

Morning Weight: 194.4 lbs

That is all

1 Like

Friday PM, 6/16

Squat
185 lbs 1x10
195 lbs 1x10
205 lbs 1x10

Bench
275 lbs 1x1
295 lbs 1x1
275 lbs 1x2

CGBP
Tempo 3 sec eccentric 135 lbs 3x10

Incline DB Press
65 lbs 4x8

Tricep and shoulder DB kine tings

I ran into an old childhood friend right as I was starting my bench working sets. I don’t like talking to people at the gym, but had to make an exception. Totally threw off my workout though. Had been aiming to do 5 doubles of 275 after the heavy single. Just moved onto some light volume work and called it a night. I haven’t done incline bench (bb or db) since my hiatus, so it was good to get a new movement in there to hit my chest. Will probably add this back in more routinely.

2 Likes

Saturday PM, 6/17

My body has felt completely drained lately before I even get to the gym. Had thought maybe I was because I wasn’t getting enough carbs earlier in the day, but I no longer think that’s the only issue. I wish I had a more flexible work schedule because I do enjoy going to the gym in the evening, but this 4-6 hours of sleep is just no bueno and has caught up to me.

Body felt dead, so I just did a bunch of low intensity crap. Didn’t track reps and sets.

BW GHR

Snatch Grip DL

Barbell Rows

Suitcase Carries

Curls

2 Likes

Sunday, 6/18 and Monday 6/19

I had PT on Monday (yesterday) and have just tried to get my body feeling more structurally sound. Here’s my first workout video on T-Nation, taken on Sunday

Tuesday AM, 6/20

Squat

135 lbs 1x5
175 lbs 1x5
225 lbs 1x3
265 lbs 1x3
315 lbs 1x1
335 lbs 1x1

Bench

135 lbs 1x5
185 lbs 1x3
225 lbs 1x3
255 lbs 1x3
275 lbs 1x1

Close Grip Bench Press, 5 second eccentric
155 lbs 1x10

Floor Press
135 lbs 1x8
225 lbs 5x6

Squat

135 lbs 1x20

BW Dips
2x20

Had a new lifting partner today who was venting about girl issues. I don’t mind being that kind of friend to listen, but all that was on my mind was him elongating our rest periods. A part of me wants to blame that for me feeling piss weak on the “heavy” squats and bench, but I was just weak today. Both heavy singles are weights I normally should be hitting for sets of triples and were 30 lbs below what I’ve hit in the gym for singles within the past month.

Since those weights made me feel like a bitch, I’m planning on going back to the gym tonight to get some more volume in.

6 Likes

Tuesday PM, 6/20

Incline DB Press (Superset with x20 band pull aparts)
70 lbs 1x6
80 lbs 1x6
70 lbs 4x8

Single Arm DB Bench Press
80 lbs 2x8 each side

Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Press
55 lbs 2x10 each side

Barbell Overhead Finisher

Standing Single Arm KB Isometric
45 lbs 1x30 seconds each side

Tricep Extension Tings

BW Dips
1x20

Well, nothing impressive to report, but I followed through on going back today at least. Family from North Carolina left today (after a 3 week visit), so that should slightly help improve my terrible recovery as of late. No more excuses for my diet or missing out on supps. PT and added mobility drills should also start to show marked improvement in my movement. If I can start to get 7 hours of sleep routinely, I expect it to translate to a noticeable improvement in my results. I know I said I’d post progress pics last week but simply didn’t have the chance, so I’ll just wait til next week, which will then be 1 month since my last pics.

4 Likes

Wednesday AM, 6/21

Morning Weight: 193.8 lbs

Well, the idea to start layers never happened yet with the family visiting. And the way my body is feeling right now, I think I should probably do something a bit different. I’ve been doing more dumbbell work lately for upper body movements. I’ve never made dumbbells the focus of a program before, so maybe it’s time I do that just for a mesocycle to switch it up and do more volume. Debating whether I want to do dumbbells just for upper body and still do barbell squats, or also focus on dumbbell lunges, Bulgarian squats, etc as lower body main movements.

It depends on your current goal. You can get good leg development with lunges and split squats but it doesn’t immediately transfer to squats. The workouts also tend to take a bit longer. I’ve developed decent legs with single-leg leg press, walking lunges, and reverse lunges but I still can’t squat 4 plates.

1 Like

The big draw for me would be lunge and split squat variations that would help with my piss poor hip mobility. Also would maybe hit my glutes more(?), which are lagging compared to my quads.

1 Like

Definitely. The way I do reverse lunges smokes my glutes. It’s all about the angle of your torso. Upright torso well be quad dominant but if you can lean forward then you can hit the glutes.

Here’s a video I made for my dad.

3 Likes

Thank you for that! I didn’t realize that about the torso angle. I’ll look to try these out today. Probably just doing light weight with 8-10 reps each side.

Wednesday PM, 6/21

DB Walking Lunges
60 lbs 4x8 each side

Leg Press (tempo: 3 second eccentric)
1 plate 1x10
2 plates 1x10
3 plates 3x10

BW Back Raises
5x10

Single Leg Hip Thrusts
25 lbs plate 3x8 each side
BW 2x8 each side

Squatted yesterday, so I didn’t do anything crazy. Just wanted to get some blood pumping in my legs and get my glutes firing. Mission accomplished. Will try out the reverse lunges next time.

My lifting partner wanted to go to McDonald’s after, so I went with him. He had a McFlurry and fries, and I had a lil bottle of milk. Waiting until I piss out all my periworkout fluids and then get my evening weight. Spent much of today just stretching out, rolling on my lacrosse ball, and just trying to get my hips loose. PT session tomorrow and maybe going to the gym.

Edit: Evening Weight- 195.0 lbs

2 Likes

Thursday AM, 6/22

Morning Weight: 191.8 lbs

UH-OH!!!

1 Like

Seems like a relatively normal overnight drop to me.

Yeah, but I was hoping the 195 from the evening was an anomaly. I’m not gonna do a panic refeed just yet, but if tomorrow morning I’m still under 193 I’m gonna change things up a bit.

1 Like

I’m trying to cater my programing over the next couple weeks around my PT; strengthening my glutes as much as possible and loosening up the hips by having high frequency and volume of workouts similar to last night’s. Ideally I could aim to do those 2-3x a week (basically every other day) over the next two weeks, alternating with an upper body push/pull, taking a day off when necessary.

2 Likes