315 10x2

Squat
275 2x3

Bench Press
1x3

Standing Single Arm DB Press: 65 lbs 4x6 each side

BW Dips/Pull-Ups Superset
2x10 each

My oblique was still a bit sore, so I just did some dynamic doubles of 315. Had been planning on doing a 5x1 of 365. Decided I should do a full-body routine since I knew I wouldnā€™t make it to the gym the next day (today). The squats felt smooth with my sleeves, and I have no issues with the knees today, so I will be looking to add them back in regularly, possibly focusing on front squats for when I do the Layers Program. I havenā€™t done a full-body workout in ages, so I just improvised. This past week has pretty much just been a deload, and Iā€™ve been able to keep my diet in check at least. Hoping to do front squats tomorrow to figure out what weights I should be working with when I start Layers next week.

I am aiming to go every night this week before I leave for my trip on Friday. Getting back late on Sunday, thus I most likely will not make it to the gym Friday-Sunday. I just need to plan accordingly and can definitely do bodyweight stuff while I am gone. I

3 Likes

Why do you need to do this? Did the program change? The 2nd layer is working up to a 1, 2, or 3 rep max, isnā€™t it? Every layer after that uses a percentage of the dayā€™s rep max.

Iā€™m not saying that you shouldnā€™t do front squats but I donā€™t think itā€™s crucial for starting the program. I just ran Layers for six weeks for bench only. Holy cow, youā€™re in for some suffering. Bench wasnā€™t bad but Iā€™m guessing some of those techniques will be quite miserable on leg exercisesā€¦ such as 4-5 second eccentrics and the constant tension/mid-range reps (with a 3 second eccentric AND concentric). You have fun with that :laughing:

I worked up to a 1RM on week six of Layers and hit 285 and missed 295. Iā€™m nowhere near the 3 plate mark. I want to move on to Training Maximally for all of my lifts but Iā€™m still fighting with myself about sticking to my plan and doing 3/2/1 wave loading this week and next and then maxing out around June 21st. After the less than stellar single at 285 Iā€™m not all that motivated to try to peak and officially max out.

3 Likes

Haha I appreciate you intervening. My main motivation to do front squats would stem from tempo front squats I did a few years ago from Poliquinā€™s Super Accumulation program. Working up to a 2RPM wouldnā€™t be too terrible, but definitely will avoid attempting any sort of 1RPM on the front squat. The slow eccentric/extended TUT reps will be taxing, but Iā€™m looking forward to the challenge and expect it to pay off for my leg growth.

Monday PM, 6/5

Front Squats
205 4x6

Back Squats
255 4x6
185 3x10

Weighted Ab Machine

GHR
4x12

BW Dips
2x10

I was absolutely exhausted before dragging myself to the gym. I thought Iā€™d have a burst of energy once I got there, but NOPE. Spent 4 hours driving my relatives visiting around the island and a few hours at the beach as well (poor me). Planning on hitting the gym tonight. Been thinking maybe Iā€™ll do cleans to push press at the start of all my upper body pressing days just to switch it up a bit. I ran out of whey and my shipment that I ordered a week ago isnā€™t expected to come for another week. Just have to eat a bit more.

3 Likes

Tuesday PM, 6/6

Clean to Push Press
95 lbs 1x6
145 lbs 1x3
165 lbs 1x2

Push Press
185 lbs 1x1
195 lbs 1x1

Strict OHP
135 lbs 2x6 (20 sec. rest between sets)

DB Flat Bench
80 lbs 1x10
100 lbs 5x6

Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Presses
70 lbs 1x6, 1x3 each side

Weighted Dips
+25 lbs 1x18
+45 lbs 4x8

OHP Circuit

I felt okay at the gym, but going late at night is starting to wear on me. No other way to fit it into my schedule though, so Iā€™m just going to have to suck it up. Will look to see when I can add in a nap or just make a more concerted effort to get more quality sleep. I have almost entirely eliminated alcohol from my diet as of a month ago, and in that same time, my coffee consumption is sporadic.

The push press today was a PR. Nothing to brag about by any means, but it is progress, which is what matters. My goal for the end of summer is to do a strict press of at least 195 lbs (current best on that is 175 lbs), so it felt good to at least hold it over my head. Held it up there for 10 seconds and felt sturdy, but the last 1/4 of the rep was a real grind with my triceps. Iā€™ll work on just increasing the reps of 165-195 lbs for my push press and try increase the volume on my strict pressing as well.

Used a dumbbell for the weighted dips, which made it quite a full body workout since the dip bars arenā€™t high enough. Will look to use the weighted belt next time and may implement this more often. I have strictly been doing bodyweight dips since I got back in the gym. When I did weighted dips before, I had worked my way up to doing 90+ lbs and it just did not seem to be translating over to any of my other pressing strength. Of course it worked great for developing my chest, but I was doing powerlifting back then, so developing strength was paramount. I wonā€™t make it a main movement, but doing high volume of +45-70 lbs would be good for my overall development and be a nice little change for my upper body pressing workouts while I focus on overhead pressing instead of benching. Still want to grease the bench grove at least once a week though.

The 70 lbs DB for 5 reps was also a PR technically with the Standing Single Arm Dumbbell Presses. The limiting factor was my core on this, which I think speaks volumes towards what I really need to focus on. The good news is I think my oblique is completely healed and my knees also donā€™t hurt much if at all from my squats yesterday. Considering taking the day off tomorrow and follow more of a 2 days on, 1 day off approach, but I really only have tomorrow + Thursday to lift until next week Monday (maaaaybe Sunday night, but I think my flight arrives at 10pm). Iā€™ll think a bit more tonight about the best way to split up the next 2 days of lifting before having 2-3 days off straight, keeping in mind that I can at least do bodyweight exercises during that time. Perhaps some deadlifting and high rep squats + pull-ups tomorrow with some upper body pressing for Thursday.

5 Likes

So youā€™re saying you need to improve your technique on push press? I say this because youā€™re about 20-30 lbs ahead of me on bench but Iā€™m ahead of you on push press which doesnā€™t make sense. My PR is 245 but Iā€™m probably good for 205-220 right now. I havenā€™t done them for awhile.

1 Like

Basically, yeah haha. I think Iā€™ve mentioned it somewhere up top, but yup! Very aware of imbalances between my overhead pressing and benching. Even imbalanced between my push press and OHP. I chalk it up to overhead pressing not being a priority during my powerlifting days, especially push press. Being honest, probably could count on two hands the number of workouts Iā€™ve done push press.

Wednesday AM, 6/7

Morning Weight: 195.8 lbs

Feeling okay considering I was up until 3am. Mr Wiggles was panting really hard throughout the night, so I stayed up with him until he fell asleep. Had a very tasty Thai-style steak salad for lunch. Would eat that every day if I could afford it. #LifeGoals Some coffee this afternoon should get me through the rest of the day and then gym later this evening.

3 Likes

Wednesday PM, 6/7

Conventional Deadlift
225 lbs 1x3
295 lbs 1x2
345 lbs 1x1 (w/ belt)
365 lbs 2x1(w/belt)

RDLs
225 lbs 2x8

Pause Sumo DLs
225 lbs 2x6

Snatch Grip DLs
225 lbs 5x3

Meadows Rows
+25 lbs 1x8
+50 lbs 1x8
+75 lbs 4x8
+50 lbs 1x10

DB Hammer Curls
45 lbs 5x6

BW Hips Thrusts
5x12

Squat
135 lbs 1x20

Iā€™ve been getting too lazy with my log. Usually keep notes on my phone as I go through my workout, but have slacked off on that. Confident that these sets & reps are accurate, but will make a better effort to keep it documented as I go. The workout itself was pretty fucking bad tbh, I only strapped on the belt because I didnā€™t want to re-injure my oblique, and the weight went up smoothly, but not as easy as 365 should be even beltless. Not surprised since my body was pretty much dead before I even walked into the gym. If I wasnā€™t going on that damn trip this weekend would definitely have made this a day off. Glad to have made it into the gym at least, and ending with the light, high rep squats made me feel like not a total bum. Will see what is least sore tomorrow and work that out tomorrow night. Hopefully gonna get at least 6 hours of sleep tonight.

5 Likes

Thursday AM, 6/8

Morning Weight: 194.8 lbs

Well, I got 5 hours of sleep. Thatā€™ll do for now. Will have progress pics next week. I think Iā€™ve leaned out a bit more, and I may focus on maintaining this weight (195-200 throughout the day) until I can get below ~15% bf. Previously I have been leaning out while still putting on a bit of mass (~3-5 lbs), but Iā€™ll take the advice of some people on here and make it a priority to lean out before adding on more size. Will do upper body pressing and calves tonight. Upper back is pretty tight from yesterday, so Iā€™m not sure how my body will do with overhead pressing, but will start with some light push presses and go from there. Likely focus on benching today with dumbbell accessory.

1 Like

Thursday PM, 6/8

Push press
135 lbs 8x3

Bench Press
275 lbs 1x1
285 lbs 5x1

Single Arm DB Bench Press
80 lbs 4x8 each side

Standing Single Arm Shoulder Press
60 lbs 3x10 each side

BW Dips
2x20

Band Tricep Extensions

Hanging Leg Raises

Evening Weight 199.2 lbs

Iā€™m going to try get videos of my lifts up so that I can get some tips on my form. Specifically for my squat and push press. The weights felt good today. Nothing too heavy, nothing to failure.

Will be packing a couple of resistance bands and my ab wheel for my weekend trip. I pretty much will have two options for this weekend: eat like shit or be in a caloric deficit. Leaning towards the latter since I can do my best to make up for it the following days. Will be doing some hiking and do my own bodyweight stuff when I can, mostly focus on some mobility work and maybe even fit a YouTube yoga session in there. Feeling guilty for not having found the time to keep up with that nor the sprints these past two weeks, but it at least wasnā€™t due to laziness. Committing today to be back in the gym Sunday night.

3 Likes

On May 22nd I pulled 430 and it felt like I was trying to lift Thorā€™s hammer. Two weeks later (this Monday) I pulled 495 for a PR. My point is that there are days that suck. And they could be the days leading up to a good lift or PR as long as your nutrition and sleep are good and fuel your recovery.

4 Likes

I sure hope so. My recovery has definitely not been on point this week. I expect that to change starting this weekend. Packing for my trip right now and then off to the airport.

Friday AM, 6/7

Morning Weight: 196.8 lbs

No soreness nor anything else notable to report this morning, so Iā€™ll just ramble about suppsā€¦ Considered packing some supplements with me for the trip, but I decided it wouldnā€™t be necessary. Have done pretty well with my diet without any whey this week. Had ordered some from BulkSupplements thru Amazon on May 29th, but found out yesterday that my order got cancelled by BS without notifying me, and the order still shows up on my Amazon account as ā€œshipped.ā€ Apparently they donā€™t want to ship 20 kgs of powder halfway across the Pacific. Too bad, since itā€™s wayyyy cheaper in bulk and I really like their products that Iā€™ve gotten in smaller volume. Amazon was nice enough to offer free ā€œone dayā€ shipping on a couple 10 lbs bags of ON Whey. Of course one day shipping = 3 day shipping to Hawaii, so Iā€™ll be getting them on Monday along with five 1kg bags of BS BCAAs. That should probably last me the rest of the year.

1 Like

In my feels a bit here still. I too like to spoil my dog. I have this habit of wrapping her blankets burrito style or cinnamon roll style.

Exhibit A:

3 Likes

Is that a vape? Lol

1 Like

Indeed. SMOK brands. I have another one that is powered by batteries instead of the wall charger. Quit smoking a few years ago, but I enjoy the taste of vaping. I opt for the 100% vegetable glycerin.

2 Likes

She looks quite comfy! Canā€™t wait to wrap up like that tonight and catch some Zā€™s

I wasnā€™t sure at first if that was a vape or some other adult thing. Clearly I donā€™t smoke nor use toys

3 Likes

Sheā€™s a giant baby. Lol.

And surpringsly I donā€™t own any adult toys. I used to be into that kind of thing (semi still am), but itā€™s not that big of a deal for me. Plus that shit gets expensive. Rather spend it on a new coil, or atomizer, or tank for a vape that Iā€™ll actually use.

1 Like